Second Stamping Experience - Please Read

timewaitsforno1

Registered Users (C)
Went to local Chicago office to renew my stamp 2 days before it expired. Waited in line from 7 to 9 until my turn came up. Now here is the amazing story:

The officer told me that according to the computer records my case is not approved! That my case was sent to the National Records and that they require to call it back and review it before giving me a new stamp. This also explains why I haven't received my GC yet.

The lawyer says that the initial officer in charge of my file made a mistake and caused the file to be sent to the National Records after approving it and stamping my passport. No appologies from INS, just that the case needs to be called back and reviewed before renewing my stamp.

Has anyone experienced this before? Please help.

R U sure they r talking about ur I-485?

Hi,

I have similar experience with INS officers (VSC). I went to stamp my passport and the officer said my case is approved long time back and I should have received my card by now.
I realised that he is making some mistake and explained him everything that I have only one A# but I have different case numbers (1 for each application, EAD/AP/AOS).
By getting my A#, he was working on my EAD case so the records were showing him that my case was approved 1 yr. back and I was using my EAD.
After that he confused with my A# again and pulled AOS records for somebody else and told me that my name does not match. finally I requested him to call his boss and then everything was sorted out.
So make sure that officer worked on correct case# and A# both.

By the way, evenif you don't have a new stamp on ur passport you need not to worry because u r stiil a PR. Let them review the case again. If you have clear and clean records, you need not worry. The only bad thing is that u can not travel outside US now.

Good Luck.

Ajay

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ajay for your input

Thanks Ajay for your input. My lawyer did talk to a couple of supervisors but the situation didn't change, the file needs to be called back and reviewed again.

The fact that I had a valid stamp, granted by their own office, didn't make a difference. The issue that is confusing to me, unlike your case, is that their computer records mistakenly show that I wasn't approved, so technically speaking my status of being a PR is now somewhat up in the air due to this mistake.

The whole situation is very frustrating. I'm hoping that somebody will post and say that they too have gone through this and can share some information and experience with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also went to local INS office to have my passport restamped today.

I arrived at the building around 10:00 AM. I found no one is waiting. I talked to the IIO about having my passport restamped. He took my passport and looked at it, then restamped the passport.

The whole process took about a couple of minutes. He even didn't check my case on his computer.

timewaitsforno1,

Did your AVM or online status ever change to say that ur case is approved?

NSC shows my case as approved

NSC transferred my case to the local office in Chicago, I had an interview there a year ago, got approved and my passport stamped. At the time of transfer the message at NSC changed to "your case has been transferred...".

I contacted NSC a couple months ago to see why I haven't received my GC. The IIO checked my status and agreed that I should have received the card by now. He told me that I need to contact the local Chiocago office and ask them to send my file to NSC for GC processing. My lawyer also confirmed that NSC shows me as approved.