Second interview & withdrawing application - couple of questions

roverinexile

Registered Users (C)
I'm a UK citizen, married to a US citizen, living in the US. Submitted application end October 2005. Received EAD & AP documents in early 2006. Was fingerprinted in Feb and we had our interview (interviewer told us we were good and just had to wait for name check & fingerprints to go through the system so we could be approved) - that was March 8. Since then, nothing until last week, when we received a notice of an interview date for January. It seemed weird, since no concerns were raised last time. Any thoughts on what the reason may be?

At the same time, my company has offered me a job back in the UK, which I am keen to take. If I choose to accept, how exactly do I withdraw my GC application here? I gather I have to do it in writing, but to which office? Application was through Chicago Lock Box, interview in Newark, NJ.

If I withdraw my application, will it have an impact on coming over to visit family & friends or on business? I'd typically be traveling with my wife and have a return flight booked.

roverinexile said:
I'm a UK citizen, married to a US citizen, living in the US. Submitted application end October 2005. Received EAD & AP documents in early 2006. Was fingerprinted in Feb and we had our interview (interviewer told us we were good and just had to wait for name check & fingerprints to go through the system so we could be approved) - that was March 8. Since then, nothing until last week, when we received a notice of an interview date for January. It seemed weird, since no concerns were raised last time. Any thoughts on what the reason may be?

At the same time, my company has offered me a job back in the UK, which I am keen to take. If I choose to accept, how exactly do I withdraw my GC application here? I gather I have to do it in writing, but to which office? Application was through Chicago Lock Box, interview in Newark, NJ.

If I withdraw my application, will it have an impact on coming over to visit family & friends or on business? I'd typically be traveling with my wife and have a return flight booked.

You will need to call the 800 number and ask them to withdraw your I-485. That's it :)

As for visiting the U.S. after that, I'm not sure how you want to do it. If you withdraw your LPR application, technically you will still be allowed to come to the U.S. on VWP, but since you have family here and you had filed an I-485 before, they can easily deny you entry, because they may suspect immigrant intent.

Thanks for the response. Getting through on the 800 number seems to be a challenge of its own!

My wife would be coming to the UK with me, so the family here would be her family. All my direct relatives would be in the UK. I'd want to be able to visit for family events, weddings etc., and I'd be able to show proof of intent to return to UK - job, flight etc. Would it be worth bringing all that proof to show them at the airport?