Seattle DO - N-400 timeline

Yes indeed. Me and wife both had interview on 5/5. For both - the Oath is scheduled on 5/15.
The interview was scheduled at 3:30 PM, and the wait time turned out to be only 15 minutes. The interview lasted about 10 minutes. I was out of the building in 30 minutes total. Similar wait time for my wife in the morning(9AM).
The interviewer was male, and was good humoured. He apologized for the 15 minute wait! I told him that I was personally prepared for a 90 minute wait. i.e, they have a bad rep.
The interview itself was pretty standard, and everything is covered in other excellent reports on this forum.
07/17/07 PD for N400
08/23/07 FP Done
03/21/08 IL Received
05/05/08 Interview Date
05/15/08 Oath Date

pradeepkgupta,

Did they give you the oath dates at the end of the interview? Did they ask you if the dates would work ok for you or do they also offer people a few alternate choices for oath dates?

or did you get oath date via mail few days after the interview?

Our oath is at 2PM. I get a feeling that there is only one oath per day.
When I was waiting there for my interview, I noticed that the last few people were there - getting their nat-cert errors fixed. That means that the no-error folks were gone by 3:30. So, you should have enough time on the same day.
Re: the oath day, I asked the guy about it at the beginning of my interview(because I wanted it to be at the same time as my wife), and he looked at his computer, and told me that it is "already" set to be that date (provided I pass the interview of course). In my wife's case, they actually did ask if the 5/15 date works for her.
So, It appears that (rather than present you with a menu of dates) they pre-determine a date for you, but then ask you if it works for you.

Our oath is at 2PM. I get a feeling that there is only one oath per day.

pradeepkgupta,
i think you are right about only 1 oath per day which is at 2pm. I went thru the older posts in this seattle thread, and all the folks who mentioned their oath time, said its at 2pm.

pradeepkgupta,
i think you are right about only 1 oath per day which is at 2pm. I went thru the older posts in this seattle thread, and all the folks who mentioned their oath time, said its at 2pm.

Seattle folks in the forum,
Do they do same day oaths in Seattle? Any thread or post that talks about it?
Or, do they schedule you for 2pm oath on a different day than the IL day.

(i hope my IL will arrive soon)

From jelly's spreadsheet, looks like there are no same day oaths.
Last batch of IL that arrived end of april were for PDs July 21st to 23rd/24rth. So your IL should definitely arrive in the next batch. And, i think the next batch will arrive in another 2 weeks from now. There is definitely a pattern to when the ILs come.

Last edited by a moderator:

AFAIK Seattle does not do same day oaths. I was asked to come back next week for my oath.

Hi all, So today it was official. The oath was scheduled for 2PM, I got there 10 to 2PM and there was already a long line. By the time everyone who had theirs scheduled entered the auditorium and the ceremony started it was close to 3PM. I had lost my resident card right as I went through checkpoint (weird) so it delayed me in getting inside further and i had trouble finding a seat. Luckily a non-oath swearer gave me his, and 2 or 3 oath swearer were left standing. Then we just watched some videos, they called out our names and we walked up to the stage to pick up our certificate. :)

Good luck everyone!
Seattle DO:
PD: 7/16/07
FP: 8/29/07
IL: 3/20/08
ID: 5/5/08
OD: 5/12/08

Hi all, So today it was official. The oath was scheduled for 2PM, I got there 10 to 2PM and there was already a long line. By the time everyone who had theirs scheduled entered the auditorium and the ceremony started it was close to 3PM. I had lost my resident card right as I went through checkpoint (weird) so it delayed me in getting inside further and i had trouble finding a seat. Luckily a non-oath swearer gave me his, and 2 or 3 oath swearer were left standing.

What do u mean by the above? Can u explain?

Then we just watched some videos, they called out our names and we walked up to the stage to pick up our certificate. :)

Good luck everyone!
Seattle DO:
PD: 7/16/07
FP: 8/29/07
IL: 3/20/08
ID: 5/5/08
OD: 5/12/08

Congratulations! :)

Hi All!
The Oath is done, and I am a citizen now.
Everything was pretty standard, and has been explained several times on this forum.
I noticed two extra things:
1. We were out of there by 3:15. Some people have wondered if they have enough time to apply for the passport on the same day. Most agencies(like bellevue court) accept apps till 4PM, so it seems eminently possible
2. We showed up only about 15 minutes before 2PM, so we got in the front of the "checkin" line. The people who were waiting upstairs were brought down around 1:48-1:50, and were put in the back. This gave us approximately 20 minutes of sitting comfortably in the auditorium.

thanks, and ALL THE BEST!

Last edited by a moderator:
First, congratulations to Lisala and pradeepkgupta. Wish you both much success with that coveted blue passport :)

Second, I attach an updated version of my spreadsheet. With the latest updates from this board, it is clear that processing has slowed down further. It took the most recent people 316 days from PD to get their ILs. However, I continue to hope that processing will speed up once we get through the July bulge. In that connection I looked at the number of filers by month on my spreadsheet and also across the immihelp.com database. I appreciate the problems with those datasets but for what it is worth, the number of USC wannabes drops sharply after July. On this board we have no August filers and only 2 in each of September and October, 3 in November and 1 in December vs. 12 in July.

On immihelp (and disregarding SC and PO) the numbers drop from 32 in July to 8 in August, none in September and another 8 in October, followed by 11 in each of Novmber and December.

We are now nearing the apparent magical 20th-of-the-month mark and I hope the mail this coming week will bring lots of you ILs.

Good luck!

Hi everyone,

My PD is 08/09/2007 and I hop to get the IL sometime soon. My case status online indicates that the case is still at Nebraska Service Center. Does it get sent to the Seattle district office first which then mails out the letter or does Nebraska mail out the letter and then transfer the case to Seattle? Thanks!

Done with interview

I had my interview today. It was pretty uneventful. There were approx. 25 people waiting on the 2nd floor. Half of them were there for the oath ceremony.

I got called in within 10 minutes of the appointment time. My IO was polite and friendly. We had a good conversation. After going through the application he asked me 10 civic questions and to write a simple English sentence. He then gave me the Oath letter which was already printed and ready. Oath is on July 4th. I was hoping I would be done with the process next week but it looks like they are only giving appointments to the big ceremony. More wait time but I guess I get to go to the special oath ceremony with 500 other "to be" citizens.

I searched this site to check if anyone else had attended the big Oath ceremony in previous years but couldn’t find any reference.

NSC/Seattle DO
PD: July 20, 2007
FP: Sept 2007
IL: March 2008
ID: May 2008
OD: July 2008

Congrats Sea_rp!

Congratulations sea_rp!!
Now they are not giving oaths with a week to 10 days? :( My interview is June 3rd, so I guess I'll have to wait till july 4rth or later for oath. :(
I dont understand why they dont give us a choice to choose to wait till the july 4rth big ceremony or finish it off in the next 10 days.
Anyways, thanks a lot for letting us know about your oath date.

Why do they only do july 4th oath! dont they give you dates before that?

seattleliter - tell us what happens after u come back on june 3rd.

The July 4th Oath is a major ceremony with over 500 citizens given the oath ceremony. Please see link below of the 2004 ceremony. It seems that every year it is attended by WA senators, ex-Governor and other biggies. They need to gather 500+ "new" citizens for this ceremony and probably stop conducting individual ceremonies in June.

http://www.pbase.com/jal/naturalization_ceremony