Schengen visa

DreamUSA

Registered Users (C)
Folks, I am getting ready to travel to EU's Schengen countries on business. I am a GC holder.

I read and learned about Schengen visa. I was wondering if I secure Schengen visa with country X (let us say Italy), can i actually travel to country Y (let us say Spain). Problem is that I have few business meeting that I need to attend in Germany, Italy, France... ..not sure which one will come first...

Thank you.

DreamUSA said:
I read and learned about Schengen visa. I was wondering if I secure Schengen visa with country X (let us say Italy), can i actually travel to country Y (let us say Spain).

Yes. That is precisely what the Schengen visa is for.
Moreover, even if you get a single entry Schengen visa, as opposed to multiple entry visa, you will still be able to go from one Schengen country directly to another.

However, you should remember that there are some countries in Europe that are not a part of the Schengen agreement, e.g. Switzerland and UK.

The good news is that Switzerland does not require visas from U.S. Green Card holders who also carry a valid national passport.

baikal3, thank you for your quick response. I have also heard that some consulates only issue visa for the exact period of reserved/bought tickets. I have heard that this is a case for Spain which is kind of of undermines the purpose of multi-entry/multi-country visa.

Any thoughts and suggestions on which country consulate is flexible in terms for Schengen visa duration.

I visited France/Spain in 2005 and got Schengen visa from French consulate in NY... Visa office at the French consulate only gave us the visa for 1 week because our hotel reservation was for 5 days only, We went to France and then to Spain....

You have to demonstrate the visa office that you will be traveling for business purpose and will visit multiple countries and require visit for the length of your trip... ask for 1 month. Hope this helps........

Short answer: Yes

However, you have to be careful. For example, if you have French-issued Sengen visa and enter EU let say in Frankfurt, you will be asked questions along the lines......why you are entering Germany instead of France (since you expressed your non-immigrant desire to French autohorities not German)?.....why did not you get German-issued Schengen visa instead of French? This is not to say that you will be rejected entry, but you will be potentially scrutinized. Of course, there is a number of legitimate reasons for a person to have French-issued Schengen visa and enter Germany (such as transit), but it is raising flags.

Once you enter EU, things do not matter. There is no passport control between EU countries (Schengen countries). For example, if you take train from Paris to Frankfurt, no one will ask for your passport (at entry, "border" or exit).

Please be careful if you get SINGLE ENTRY visa. This means that once you leave EU, you will not be able to return back, and that can happen....

For example: You are in Germany with SINGLE ENTRY visa and you decide to go to Switzerland for a visit. Since you have GC, you do not need Swiss visa. But, when you return back to Germany, you will be denied entrance (since you used up your SINGLE ENTRY permit.....Switzerland is not part of the Schengen agreement).

This issue can be confusing....so be careful with it.

Last edited by a moderator: