schengen visa - Italy

schandrag

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone applied for a tourist visa to italy ( while one's status in the US ia permanent resident). I am an indian citizen and therefore I need a visa to vist. Yhe requirements seem onerous. For example there is a requirement that I show proof that my medical insurance covers me for emergencies while outside the country, etc., In practice do they enforce this or will they issue the visa with proof of my current status in the uS and my bank/investment statemtns to show that I have no desire/benefit of sataying back in a EU country.

I have, twice.

If you are applying at the NY consulate, you can be sure that they will follow the requirements to the letter.

Good luck!

schandrag said:
Has anyone applied for a tourist visa to italy ( while one's status in the US ia permanent resident). I am an indian citizen and therefore I need a visa to vist. Yhe requirements seem onerous. For example there is a requirement that I show proof that my medical insurance covers me for emergencies while outside the country, etc., In practice do they enforce this or will they issue the visa with proof of my current status in the uS and my bank/investment statemtns to show that I have no desire/benefit of sataying back in a EU country.

I did not apply for Italy, but I did in other schengen countries. All of them required a copy of your green card, a copy of US medical insurance card and copy of your bank statement. Normally that's all they need. Most of the US medical insurance plans cover emergency treatments outside USA. Just read your the benefit book provided by your medical insurance company - everything is there. You can take that book in consulate also.Consulate people know that US insurance covers outside USA. If the person is too picky, just show him/her your benefit book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you may get travel insurance for the days you stay in abroad. It may cost upto $50. I got it alongwith my tickets from travelocity.com.

I did apply for visa at Italian consulate in Houston. They did ask me for every document on the list. Proof Medical Insurance through my employer was sufficient. Sufficiant funds in the bank is required too. I did not have proof of hotel reservation in Italy, they asked me to fax it to them. Most of it is to show that you have enough funds, and you won't be a burden to them when you are out there.

I went to France so required Schengen visa, I went to French consulte in NY and was fairly quick, they require original passport, GC and copies of bank statement, insurance, hotel reservation and flight details

They took 10 days to issue the visa, one important thing, i was planning to stay in france for 7 days so they only gave me 15 days visit so you have make sure you request for the durration of your stay.