• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Schedule a infopass for temp visa stamp

toughcase

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I just received my physical green card yesterday, but my first name is incorrect. Contacted 1800 number and was told to file I-90 form with the incorrect green card. The guy also told me I should schedule an infopass before I submit my incorrect card to get a temp visa stamp in case I need to travel, which I might need.

Went to USCIS website tried to schedule a appointment online, but I don't know what selections I should check since none of the selections seem to apply to my case. Any one who has the similar situation please help~

I went to other discussion board, but none of them were DV cases (mostly employment based and their have different application documents such as I-485 ...etc.). I am wondering what other documents I should send to prove my first name.

Hi all,

I just received my physical green card yesterday, but my first name is incorrect. Contacted 1800 number and was told to file I-90 form with the incorrect green card. The guy also told me I should schedule an infopass before I submit my incorrect card to get a temp visa stamp in case I need to travel, which I might need.

Went to USCIS website tried to schedule a appointment online, but I don't know what selections I should check since none of the selections seem to apply to my case. Any one who has the similar situation please help~

I went to other discussion board, but none of them were DV cases (mostly employment based and their have different application documents such as I-485 ...etc.). I am wondering what other documents I should send to prove my first name.

Presumably, your first name is correctly spelled on the immigrant visa in your passport, right? If so, that should be all you need.

Regarding INFOPASS I belive you can choose:You are a new Permanent Resident and have not yet received your Permanent Resident Card
ALthough I have not made any infopass yet but I beleive this is the reasonable
To proof your first name : you can take Passposrt, birth Certificate, Drivers License, etc.(check I-90 what documents reuired)

Thanks for the inputs :)

Just talked to my lawyer and he said in order to get the temp visa stamp for travel I will have to have flight ticket or some sort of proof that I am traveling.
I am planning to travel in December but not sure about the date yet, so I guess I cannot make an infopass for getting my temp visa stamp yet. :(

I read somewhere on this forum that submit I-90 (for a renew or replacement green card) due to administrative error on the green card caused by USCIS will not be charge any fee; as a result, you will not have a receipt number like those people who, let's say, change their address (it cost about $175). That receipt number is one of the key to make an infopass. Without that, people who had similar problem as me had hard time to make an infopass appointment with USCIS local service center.

By the way, my lawyer is planning to charge me $150 for all these (change name, make an infopass appointment - if I have my ticket ready) :rolleyes:

Thanks for the inputs :)

Just talked to my lawyer and he said in order to get the temp visa stamp for travel I will have to have flight ticket or some sort of proof that I am traveling.
I am planning to travel in December but not sure about the date yet, so I guess I cannot make an infopass for getting my temp visa stamp yet. :(

I read somewhere on this forum that submit I-90 (for a renew or replacement green card) due to administrative error on the green card caused by USCIS will not be charge any fee; as a result, you will not have a receipt number like those people who, let's say, change their address (it cost about $175). That receipt number is one of the key to make an infopass. Without that, people who had similar problem as me had hard time to make an infopass appointment with USCIS local service center.

By the way, my lawyer is planning to charge me $150 for all these (change name, make an infopass appointment - if I have my ticket ready) :rolleyes:

If you arrived with an immigrant visa, you should already have an I-551 in your passport. When you were processed at the POE and admitted, your immigrant visa automatically became an I-551 valid for one year from your date of admission. It even says so on the visa itself:

UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR

You don't need anything else to travel. Spend the $150 on something else...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you arrived with an immigrant visa, you should already have an I-551 in your passport. When you were processed at the POE and admitted, your immigrant visa automatically became an I-551 valid for one year from your date of admission. It even says so on the visa itself:

UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR

You don't need anything else to travel. Spend the $150 on something else...:)

I was told at POE that that immigration visa stamp can be used for emergency travel BEFORE I receive my real green card, but I actually received my green card already. Can I still use it?

I was told at POE that that immigration visa stamp can be used for emergency travel BEFORE I receive my real green card, but I actually received my green card already. Can I still use it?

Sure you can. The green card you received has a mistake in it, so it is unusable. When asked by the CBP officer, just tell him/her what happened. Also, you can use the temporary I-551 for any travel, even it is not for an emergency. The only drawback is that it is only valid for a year which shouldn't be an issue for you. The endorsed immigrant visa is actually "better" than an USCIS I-551 stamp, because sometimes airline personnel abroad may not know what an I-551 stamp is and won't let you board a plane bound for the US! The endorsed immigrant visa has "IMMIGRANT VISA" written in big letters on it and that will satisfy virtually all airline personnel abroad, even though, technically, it is now an I-551.