San Jose Naturalization Interview today

Joe44

Registered Users (C)
PD: Dec 2001
FD: Apr 2002
Interview: Aug 1 2002
Oath: ????

I had my naturalization interview today.

Apparently the San Jose office is closed to the general public on Thursday afternoons and only handles appointments. The big room downstairs was desolate. The security guys (with guns) spend their time telling people they are only open for appointments and to come back tomorrow. Remember to pickup all your stuff after the xray machine. The guards came twice to give people stuff they'd forgotten while I was waiting.

I arrived about half an hour before my interview and read over the sample questions and answers one last time before going inside. There were quite a few people waiting for their names to be called. There are 2 windows at the front of the room, one for citizenship interviews, one for the rest. There are 3 doors where they call names from, a hush comes over the room as the names are called. Some of the officiers are much better at the "foreign" names than others. I couldn't work out if there is any relation between the door you get called from and the reason you are there.

I was called about 20 minutes late. The officer was efficient, I guess that's the word, not very talkative. He asked me to stand and raise my right hand and swear to tell the truth. He asked for my green card and CA driver's licence. He asked how I got my green card. I "won" it through the GC lottery. He seemed fixated on this for the whole interview. Told me it was worth at least $1,000,000. Then he went through the N-400, item by item making sure everything was accurate. No changes. I had to write an English sentence on the bottom, sign the N-400 and the photos I sent, and something else with the signature that is your whole name in cursive (which isn't my signature). He asked about the selective service. I had included the letter with the form but had to explain it to him and justify that I was older than needed when I got my green card. We counted together to figure out my age.

After that he spent some time looking through my file, reading more stuff about the lottery, checking some books, saying how lucky I was. I think he went through every piece of paper in my file.

Then it was time for the test. He handed me a piece of paper with 10 questions written on it. I was to read them aloud, answer them aloud, and write the answers on the sheet. They are straight from the standard list including the number of the question in front of it. I passed that (10/10).

He went off to copy some document and came back and handed me a document to say I passed the test but that they couldn't make a decision at this time. Apparently they need to check my background still and that I should have an answer in 4-6 weeks. The whole interview took maybe 20-30 minutes. He didn't ask for passports or anything else.

So that's where I'm at. I guess the FBI background check they did isn't good enough, or maybe I've done something wrong recently! :) Anyway I'll let you know when I do.

Good luck to everyone. Thanks for sharing your experiences,

Joe.

i think your lottery raised "flag", otherwise you would be approved. by the way, he should have your GC application (I-485) and know you are the lotto winner. he should not be that surprised if he had read it. I think he is going back to check your I-485? I guess you will be approved very soon.

Success in N400 Interview at SJ on 08/05

FYI,

The N400 interview is approved on Aug. 5th

And wait for the Oath letter.

Good luck to all of us!

Apply on 07/2X/2001
Get Notification on 09/2X/01
FP on 04/20/02
Interview 08/05/02

San Jose naturalization interview

I finished my interview yesterday at INS San Jose office. The interviewer is very friendly and effecient. The whole procedure took about 15 minutes, basically going over the N-400 form to see if there have been any changes since the filing, and then I was asked to write down a simple sentense in English on my N-400 form, and it was finished by civic test, which consists of ten questions randomly selected from the 100 typical questions. At the end I was told within three months I should receive the notice for oath ceremony.

I am wondering how long it would take from interview to oath in San Jose area? Can anyone please share his/her timeline?

Here is my timeline:
PD: Jan 2002
FP: Apr 2002
Interview notice: Apr 30
Interview: August 21
waiting for swear-in notice.

I passed my interview in 2nd week of July at San Jose office. I attended the oath ceremony and became citizen two days ago on 21st August. That makes it five weeks between interview and oath. I know that they have another oath ceremony coming up on Sep 18 so there is a good chance that you will make it for that one.

I got the notice for oath ceremony yesterday. I'm scheduled for September 18.

Nearly finished,

Joe.

Well the naturalization ceremony took place on Wednesday, Sept 18. Everything was fine. You only need your green card and oath notification letter unless you have answered yes to any questions on the back of the form.

Pretty uneventful really. You were supposed to be there at 7.30am and I was in the car leaving at 9.30ish. Park in the Convention center parking for $10 flat. Some people I talked to paid by the 1/3 hour but if it goes long you may be paying a lot.

Hope everything goes well for everyone. Apparently some people are given passport application forms at the interviews. If you have those you can apply for your new passport after the ceremony. I applied Thursday morning and paid all the additional fees for expedited service, express shipping, etc.

See ya,

Joe.

Re: San Jose naturalization interview

Did you get the letter for swearing-in yet ?

Originally posted by opticalpajama
I finished my interview yesterday at INS San Jose office. The interviewer is very friendly and effecient. The whole procedure took about 15 minutes, basically going over the N-400 form to see if there have been any changes since the filing, and then I was asked to write down a simple sentense in English on my N-400 form, and it was finished by civic test, which consists of ten questions randomly selected from the 100 typical questions. At the end I was told within three months I should receive the notice for oath ceremony.

I am wondering how long it would take from interview to oath in San Jose area? Can anyone please share his/her timeline?

Here is my timeline:
PD: Jan 2002
FP: Apr 2002
Interview notice: Apr 30
Interview: August 21
waiting for swear-in notice.

I have been waiting for the oath since 02/28/2002 the day I passed the us citizenship exam.last week when I went to the INS new orleans Louisiana I was told to give another 2 months. Here in Louisiana it is taking years I guess than months for the oath.

Re: Re: San Jose naturalization interview

No, I have not yet received oath notice from San Jose INS. What's your situation?

Originally posted by 03pilot
Did you get the letter for swearing-in yet ?

I am waiting for the oath ceremony notice. I was wondering whether they have one scheduled next month. Does anybody has any info about this?

Re: Re: Re: San Jose naturalization interview

I had my interview in Oakland on Aug 26 and am waiting for the letter as well. They had asked me to provide another document at the interview which I have mailed them in that last week of August.

Have you been able to go to the office personally and find out the status of your case in San Jose ? I haven't done that yet and was wondering if anyone had any luck finding out the status by visiting the local office. Since the case is now at the local office I am not sure if you can find out anything from the Service Centre telephone system.

Originally posted by opticalpajama
No, I have not yet received oath notice from San Jose INS. What's your situation?

Just curious, when was your interview done ?

Originally posted by alsjoseph
I am waiting for the oath ceremony notice. I was wondering whether they have one scheduled next month. Does anybody has any info about this?

My priority date is July 2002 and had my fingerprinting done in Sept. When should I expect my interview? Any update will be greatly appreciated, thanks!