San Jose Local Office experience

maverick534

Registered Users (C)
Need Help Everyone !!!!

I just got a mail from NSC saying the following:

On January 16, 2007, we transferred this I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS to our SAN JOSE, CA location for processing and sent you a notice explaining this action. Please follow any instructions on this notice. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. We process cases in the order we receive them. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. This case has been sent to our SAN JOSE, CA location. Follow the link below to check processing dates. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

I don't understand it. My case is very straight forward. I have not changed employers. Have stayed at the same address. Then why was the case transferred to a local office ? Will there be an interview ? Is this good or bad for me ? Does this mean more delays ? Does anyone have personal experience, especially at the San Jose office ? Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Let us share info

Some % of cases get transferred for interview even if there are no problems like criminal records etc. Nothing to be alarmed about in my opinion.

My case is with San Jose office from Jan 5th. The lady at infopass told me that it usually takes 60-90 days after they receive the file to process it.

Let us share info on any updates on interview/any other notice.

dink

Sounds good dinks. My case is very similar to yours as far as dates are concerned. Keep us updated about your interview or other notices. Did you take an infopass appt. at San Jose ? When did you do it? Can we call them up ?

dinks2006 said:
Some % of cases get transferred for interview even if there are no problems like criminal records etc. Nothing to be alarmed about in my opinion.

My case is with San Jose office from Jan 5th. The lady at infopass told me that it usually takes 60-90 days after they receive the file to process it.

Let us share info on any updates on interview/any other notice.

dink

Last edited by a moderator:
I took an infopass on 1/26

I am not sure if we can call them up, I don't have any contact number.

One good thing that came out of infopass is that they told me all my security checks are cleared. I hope it is correct.

I suggest taking infopass after 15-20 days of transfer and confirming that they actually received your file and it is not lost in transit/mail etc.

dink

Got interview notice!

I received my interview notice in mail ltoday. The interview is on 2/21. They asked me to bring a bunch of documents. The letter is dated 1/23, so obviously they sent it before my infopass but they failed to mention that during the infopass.

dink

Congrats dinks. Keep us updated on your interview experience and best of luck buddy... hopefully you will be a free man soon....

dinks2006 said:
I received my interview notice in mail ltoday. The interview is on 2/21. They asked me to bring a bunch of documents. The letter is dated 1/23, so obviously they sent it before my infopass but they failed to mention that during the infopass.

dink

Hi dinks,

Could you also list the documents that they asked? I am sure it will all help us to start on the preparation process.

Thanks...

dinks2006 said:

dink

Sorry for the late reply

The asked for all the immigration documents (all the docs we filed with 485, including medical exam results!, previous EAD cards, birth certificates, passports ) for both primary and derivative applicants.

Apart from them, they have asked for
- affidavit of support for the derivative (typically not required for employment based but they asked anyway)
- marriage proof (marriage certificate + utility bills, lease agreements, tax returns, photos etc)
- Employment verification letter for the primary and derivative (not sure why they require it for the derivative)

dink

I 485 Interview

:( Hi Dinks and Maveric could pls respond and give me more details about your
Interview. I got an I 485 Interview
I having the following Situation Can you pls give any suggestions i have an I 485 interview in March.
Me an my husband got an interview for I-485 saying that" An interview appointment
regarding eligibility in this case has been scheduled.

Here is my situation ,Two years ago in Jan 2005 My husband was arrested for domestic violenceand the state has filed charges against him ( however I didn't testify against him) The judge has given for the case diversion and probation for 6 months ,he took some classes like anger management etc .,. Now the case was closed.We are working to remove his case records from his history since it is the first offense.

We are very much tensed after getting the above interview letter from Immigration.
One more thing is my husband's current employer is different from the one that started
our gc process. He changed 2 employer after he got his EAD. He is not applied for
AC-21. Is that ok if we aplly now AC-21 before the interview.
Can we get a green card? having the above situation? My husband and
my self are worried about the case that he has in the past and about AC-21.

Any advises are directions are really helpful for us.Anybody having similar situation got their green card ?
I really appriciate any help or response.

Thanks in advance.

Good luck Sai. As you might have already read in my case, I do not have any such matters on my record. That is why I am puzzled at why they transferred my case to the local office. In any case, I have not gotten any appointment notice as such. I will most probably schedule an Infopass once the numbers for SJ office gets updated in February. Hopefully they should give me more insight at the time.

SAI_99 said:
:( Hi Dinks and Maveric could pls respond and give me more details about your
Interview. I got an I 485 Interview
I having the following Situation Can you pls give any suggestions i have an I 485 interview in March.
Me an my husband got an interview for I-485 saying that" An interview appointment
regarding eligibility in this case has been scheduled.

Here is my situation ,Two years ago in Jan 2005 My husband was arrested for domestic violenceand the state has filed charges against him ( however I didn't testify against him) The judge has given for the case diversion and probation for 6 months ,he took some classes like anger management etc .,. Now the case was closed.We are working to remove his case records from his history since it is the first offense.

We are very much tensed after getting the above interview letter from Immigration.
One more thing is my husband's current employer is different from the one that started
our gc process. He changed 2 employer after he got his EAD. He is not applied for
AC-21. Is that ok if we aplly now AC-21 before the interview.
Can we get a green card? having the above situation? My husband and
my self are worried about the case that he has in the past and about AC-21.

Any advises are directions are really helpful for us.Anybody having similar situation got their green card ?
I really appriciate any help or response.

Thanks in advance.

maverick534 said:
Need Help Everyone !!!!
I don't understand it. My case is very straight forward. I have not changed employers. Have stayed at the same address. Then why was the case transferred to a local office ? Will there be an interview ? Is this good or bad for me ? Does this mean more delays ? Does anyone have personal experience, especially at the San Jose office ? Any feedback is highly appreciated.

maverick534 said:
Good luck Sai. As you might have already read in my case, I do not have any such matters on my record. That is why I am puzzled at why they transferred my case to the local office. In any case, I have not gotten any appointment notice as such. I will most probably schedule an Infopass once the numbers for SJ office gets updated in February. Hopefully they should give me more insight at the time.

A couple of weeks ago (few days after my EB2 I-140 approval) my EB2 I-485 was also transferred from Nebraska to a local office - the Los Angeles one. The online notification had the exact same text as the one you posted above - just Los Angeles instead of San Jose.

And as the online notification said "and sent you a notice explaining this action. Please follow any instructions on this notice", I received the notice of action in the mail few days later.

That I-797 notice of action said similar things but it contains the promised explanation too. And the transfer reason listed was "to speed up processing".

My case is also straight forward, no change of adresses, employers, etc. Everything was filed at the same time earlier this year.

What reason did the notice of action you receive in the mail state? I am talking about the one in the regular mail, and not the online notification text you posted above. The online notification does not list the transfer reason but the I-797 notice of action you got in the regular mail does

Hi _shtirlitz_,

I got the same reason on the "physical mail" as you... namely .. "to speed up processing". As far as I can tell, nothing has sped up. I am still waiting for a notice or an interview call from the SJ office. Good luck to you.. hopefully you will get results faster.

_shtirlitz_ said:
A couple of weeks ago (few days after my EB2 I-140 approval) my EB2 I-485 was also transferred from Nebraska to a local office - the Los Angeles one. The online notification had the exact same text as the one you posted above - just Los Angeles instead of San Jose.

And as the online notification said "and sent you a notice explaining this action. Please follow any instructions on this notice", I received the notice of action in the mail few days later.

That I-797 notice of action said similar things but it contains the promised explanation too. And the transfer reason listed was "to speed up processing".

My case is also straight forward, no change of adresses, employers, etc. Everything was filed at the same time earlier this year.

What reason did the notice of action you receive in the mail state? I am talking about the one in the regular mail, and not the online notification text you posted above. The online notification does not list the transfer reason but the I-797 notice of action you got in the regular mail does

Hi dinks,

I received my interview notice today. My interview is on 3/28, Yours is scheduled for day after tomorrow, right? Best of luck buddy. Hopefully you will be a free man soon. Keep us updated on how the interview went.

Thanks.

dink

Hi dinks,

How did your interview go? Please post the details.

Thanks.

dink

Interview

Hi Folks,

can you specify where is your local office. My case was transferred to Miami on Feb 1, 2007 after it was pending in Texas for 6 months. The notice said that "Preliminary processing of the above application or petition has been completed, and it has been transferred to the INS office at Miami....That office will notify you when they schedule an interview...any further inquiries should be made to that office."

I have no idea why the transferred the case and how long it would take befoer we'll get the interview.

Hi _shtirlitz_,

I got the same reason on the "physical mail" as you... namely .. "to speed up processing". As far as I can tell, nothing has sped up. I am still waiting for a notice or an interview call from the SJ office. Good luck to you.. hopefully you will get results faster.

Hi dinks,

I received my interview notice today. My interview is on 3/28 ...

Interesting...
Thanks for the info!
So, I should be expecting an interview letter soon?

Approved!!!

I got my passport stamped today!! Yes I am finally free.

Both my wife and I went for the interview even though they didn't mention anything about my wife in the notice. It was scheduled at 1:30 pm and they asked us to be present half hour before. We were slightly late, we reached the office at 1:05 pm and went in around 1:10 pm. We dropped the appointment letter at the window and the officer called us around 1:30 pm.

The officer took my oath (my wife's application was already approved so she didn't have to take the oath). He initially thought I was applying through my employer. We told him that I am the derviative applicant here. He then asked if my wife's application was E26. We didn't know. He then looked at her card and confirmed that it was indeed E26 and said mine is E27 category. (still not sure what these mean)

He took a photocopy of her green card and also asked for EVL for her. We gave him that.

He asked me all the questions that we answered on the biographical form. Our address was wrong so he corrected that using the address on my driver license. He also took my signature and finger prints.

Thats it.

He said my background checks are cleared and so he is going to stamp today! He used his computer to request a visa number and got it in few seconds.
He stamped quite a few places on the papers and asked me to pick a page in my passport for stamping :) The stamp is valid for an year.

He didn't ask a thing about our marriage -- we prepared quite a few things like rental agreement, insurances, photos etc but he didn't ask for any of those. I spent more time in photocopying all those than in the half hour interview. The only thing he asked was my wife's GC, her EVL, my driver license and my current employers name. At the end it was like why did they call us for interview again? may be we got a nice officer or may be because it was a derivative applicant.

Good luck every one,

-dinks

Hi dinks,

How did your interview go? Please post the details.

Thanks.

Hopefully you should get some intimation from the office soon. Keep tracking the dates that Miami is doing and if it goes past your date then take an appointment and inquire what happened. They will let you know what is happening with the case at the time.

Hi Folks,

can you specify where is your local office. My case was transferred to Miami on Feb 1, 2007 after it was pending in Texas for 6 months. The notice said that "Preliminary processing of the above application or petition has been completed, and it has been transferred to the INS office at Miami....That office will notify you when they schedule an interview...any further inquiries should be made to that office."

I have no idea why the transferred the case and how long it would take befoer we'll get the interview.

Congrats buddy!!!!! You are a free man :) Thanks for the detailed account. Hopefully I should get the same person and our interview goes as smooth as yours.

I got my passport stamped today!! Yes I am finally free.

Both my wife and I went for the interview even though they didn't mention anything about my wife in the notice. It was scheduled at 1:30 pm and they asked us to be present half hour before. We were slightly late, we reached the office at 1:05 pm and went in around 1:10 pm. We dropped the appointment letter at the window and the officer called us around 1:30 pm.

The officer took my oath (my wife's application was already approved so she didn't have to take the oath). He initially thought I was applying through my employer. We told him that I am the derviative applicant here. He then asked if my wife's application was E26. We didn't know. He then looked at her card and confirmed that it was indeed E26 and said mine is E27 category. (still not sure what these mean)

He took a photocopy of her green card and also asked for EVL for her. We gave him that.

He asked me all the questions that we answered on the biographical form. Our address was wrong so he corrected that using the address on my driver license. He also took my signature and finger prints.

Thats it.

He said my background checks are cleared and so he is going to stamp today! He used his computer to request a visa number and got it in few seconds.
He stamped quite a few places on the papers and asked me to pick a page in my passport for stamping :) The stamp is valid for an year.

He didn't ask a thing about our marriage -- we prepared quite a few things like rental agreement, insurances, photos etc but he didn't ask for any of those. I spent more time in photocopying all those than in the half hour interview. The only thing he asked was my wife's GC, her EVL, my driver license and my current employers name. At the end it was like why did they call us for interview again? may be we got a nice officer or may be because it was a derivative applicant.

Good luck every one,

-dinks