San Jose Interview Experience

zephyr

Registered Users (C)
I passed my naturalization interview at San Jose office today. I checked in 20 minutes before my interview time and placed the appointment letter in the tray for citizenship interviews. I was called by an officer about 45 minutes after my scheduled appointment time. The actual process took only about 10-15 minutes.

After asking the standard background questions, the officer asked me to sign the last two sections of the N-400 form. He then made me write an English sentence "I am working as a ... ... at the company ... ...". He then gave me a paper with ten history/civics questions (all of them from the 100 posted at INS web site). He asked me to read each question loud, say my answer loud, and then write the answer in the blank space below each question. I answered all of them correctly, and he kept saying "Correct!" as I was telling him each answer.

He then handed me Form N-652, congratulating me for passing the interview. He told me that the Oath Ceremony should be in about 6-8 weeks.

Here are my timelines:

1. Filed: Sep 2001
2. FP: Jan 2002
3. Interview: Jul 2002
4. Oath: expected to be around the end of Aug/beginning of Sep.

Sure, I will. Let me add a couple of observations:

1. I was already 26 when I entered US for the first time so Selective Services was never an issue for me. I obtained a letter from SSS just in case but the issue never even came up in the interview.

2. The letter said that I needed to bring my passports to show all my overseas travel but the officer did not even bother to ask that. He only wanted to know if I made any overseas trips after my filing date (I didn't make any).

I suppose you mean whether he asked about my address changes? I did change my address since my filing date. He asked me to write my new address on the appointment letter next to my old address so that he can mail the Oath Ceremony letter to the new address. He also asked me whether I informed INS of my address change by phone, which I had already done. He did look at my N-400 past addresses section but did not ask any questions about my whereabouts in the past.

Overall, it appeared to me that he was only interested in what has changed since my filing date and he hardly probed into what was already there on my application.

Selective Service

I was on F-1 or H1 visa before 26 years old. I have not done anything about Selective Service at all. Should I do something about it and get a letter on this issue now?