San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

It's frustrating not to be able to get answers to my questions. I've talked with 2 receptionists at 2 different local immigration law firms, neither could answer whether there were same day oaths available, and neither could answer whether a bringing a lawyer with me could help. (Neither lawyer returned my call either). My daughter (in Texas) has met a couple of kids who have been through the immigration process and I guess the Texas DO's do have same day oaths available. It's funny that some do and some don't - you would think there would be some consistancy. And why can't I just go to another office that does have an oath ceremony? I would fly to Texas in a heartbeat to take the oath if I could before her birthday.

It's frustrating not to be able to get answers to my questions. I've talked with 2 receptionists at 2 different local immigration law firms, neither could answer whether there were same day oaths available, and neither could answer whether a bringing a lawyer with me could help. (Neither lawyer returned my call either). My daughter (in Texas) has met a couple of kids who have been through the immigration process and I guess the Texas DO's do have same day oaths available. It's funny that some do and some don't - you would think there would be some consistancy. And why can't I just go to another office that does have an oath ceremony? I would fly to Texas in a heartbeat to take the oath if I could before her birthday.

Easy,

Just take it easy, same day oath can't be given because you bring a lawyer, that will be akin to extortion. I did a Google search for you, it appears as if San Jose doesn't have same day oath. There are oath ceremonies scheduled I believe once a month for all naturalization candidates. I have never heard of a case in which the lawyer was able to convince USCIS that you need to be sworn-in that same day when the DO doesn't have the capability to do the ceremony. Remember that if you tell the lawyer that that's what you want him or her to do, he will take your money and ask USCIS to swear you in on the same day, but once he/she is denied, your money was in vain and he/she can't sue or force them to accommodate you. I know someone who needed citizenship for US citizen only scholarship, and the DO was able to swear them in on the same day, but the DO was where they had same day ceremonies.

I did a google search too, and thats where I read of a guy who says he received a same day oath in the SJ DO by having a lawyer present his situation, and he was allowed to swear in later that afternoon. BUT, I realize you can't believe everything you read on the internet! Which is why I was asking the question.

The bureaucracy of the process is frustrating - and it's odd that the process isn't the same in all offices nationwide. And why can't I pass my interview and drive up to San Francisco and take my oath....or down to LA or San Diego - if they might have one. Sorry for venting - my husband is tired of listening to me too!

I did a google search too, and thats where I read of a guy who says he received a same day oath in the SJ DO by having a lawyer present his situation, and he was allowed to swear in later that afternoon. BUT, I realize you can't believe everything you read on the internet! Which is why I was asking the question.

The bureaucracy of the process is frustrating - and it's odd that the process isn't the same in all offices nationwide. And why can't I pass my interview and drive up to San Francisco and take my oath....or down to LA or San Diego - if they might have one. Sorry for venting - my husband is tired of listening to me too!

Easy,

I clearly understand your frustration. Unfortunately, what makes to us doesn't make sense to USCIS or it does, but are limited by myriad of factors, money being the primary impediment. I believe the guy who was sworn-in the same day was because his case was 5 months behind schedule and it is possible, the lawyer had sued USCIS (1447(b) and as a part of the deal to drop the lawsuit, he got a commitment that upon passing his interview, he will be sworn-in the same day. I know the posting alluding to this story doesn't mention the piece I added, but it seems logical to me that his lawyer was there primarily because they had probably sued USCIS. I would advise you to just hang-tough and hope for the best, plus save your money meant to pay for the lawyer. You wonder why none of the lawyers called back? If they are honest and have ethics, they will know that they can't legally force USCIS to give you same day oath, they can ask but will have no legal basis. As such, you could be the one asking and if denied, you aren't out of pocket of anything. This board accept venting, but I just wanted to ensure that I can balance your frustration with what is feasible. The worst that can happen is that your daughter will have to do the process herself, costing her $675.

So an update as to our interviews in the San Jose office:

We arrived this morning at 8 am for our 8:10 interviews. We had to go through security - just like at the airport - shoes, belts, coats, purses put through a scanner. We were directed to a room on the second floor with about 20 other people waiting. There was a window where you drop your appointment letter into a basket and then you just sit and wait till your name is called. Out of everyone in the room, I was called first. If you have read any of my other posts, my husband and I applyed together, and I decided rather than making duplicates of all our documents, I left the originals with him, thinking he'd get called in first - which he didn't. Anyhow, I went into an office with a very nice agent. I was really nervous, but she was very pleasant, which made me relax a bit. I first had to swear that I would tell the truth. She gave me the reading test, and then asked me to write a sentence. I then answered the first 6 questions correct of the civics test. She then went through my application line by line. I only stumbled on being able to recite my home phone number (D'oh!) (My husband didn't know it either, since it's on speed dial on his cell). She asked if I was presently employed (I'm not), and then we updated my travel since the application was submitted. We went through the rest of the application completely and I was asked to answer all the questions on the original application. The whole process took about 15 minutes. She approved me!

We then discussed if it was possible for me to get a same day oath (my daughter turns 18 next Wednesday) and it wasn't available today. I guess it is a hit or a miss at the San Jose office. It sounded like it might have been available if I had been in there earlier in the week - oh well. Our oath date is scheduled for January 27, 2011.

A big thank you to all who answered my questions on this board! We went in over prepared, which was just fine by us! Thank you so much!

Status update for myself and my husband:

09/07/2010 - N-400 sent to Phoenix
09/08/2010 - N-400 received
09/14/2010 - Checks cashed
09/16/2010 - NOA received
10/01/2010 - RFE email received
10/02/2010 - RFE letter received
10/22/2010 - FP appointment scheduled
10/22/2010 - FP done
10/26/2010 - Email received - case sent to local office
10/27/2010 - Interview letter
12/02/2010 - Interview date (Passed!)
01/27/2011 - Oath date

Do I need to bring two 2" fotos? What are they used for?

If you look on your list of documents to bring with you to your interview - the list suggests to bring 2 passport photos. We brought in 2 but didn't need them and weren't asked for them. I'm not sure why they suggest to bring extras. If you don't bother doing it, and if you do require them, there is a place next to the offices that you can get them done.

If you look on your list of documents to bring with you to your interview - the list suggests to bring 2 passport photos. We brought in 2 but didn't need them and weren't asked for them. I'm not sure why they suggest to bring extras. If you don't bother doing it, and if you do require them, there is a place next to the offices that you can get them done.

Easy,

Congrats on your interview and approval, good thing you will be sworn-in on January 27th, 2011. There are many people in SF who are waiting for oath, so consider yourself fortunate. As for your request for the same day oath, I am glad you never hired a lawyer, you could have been out of your hard-earned cash for zero results. In the end, your own request was sufficient, except it didn't bring about the results you were hoping for. Your daughter will be fined and she can apply as soon as she is ready and over 18th, which I suspect she reaches recently?

I went for my interview today at the San Jose office. Everything went smoothly and the officer was very nice. Since my 3-year mark (I applying based on marriage to a US citizen) is in 5 days, I didn't get the "Congratulations! ..." on the N-652 form., rather "A decision cannot yet be made about your application". I was told that my oath will most probably be in January.

Timeline:
GC: 12/2007
DO: San Jose
10/04/2010 Sent N-400 by USPS express mail
10/05/2010 N-400 received according to USPS
10/08/2010 Check cashed
10/11/2010 USCIS E-mail notification & text msg confirming receipt of the filing
10/11/2010 Online case status shows that filing was received on 10/5
10/15/2010 Online case status changed to RFE notice mailed
10/18/2010 Received NOA in the mail
10/20/2010 Biometrics notice received (for 10/28)
10/28/2010 Biometrics done
11/05/2010 Online message changed to: Transferred to local office
11/10/2010 Received interview letter for 12/13/2010 at San Jose DO
12/13/2010 Interview at San Jose DO

Got back from the interview. It went well. Just to let you guys know, even your letter didn't require fotos, bring your fotos, they asked for my fotos. Also name change is possible, just bring your marriage certificate (issued by CA).

10/22/2010 - FP done
12/30/2010 - Received interview letter
01/27/2011 - Oath date

Sorry! Here is a corrected version:

10/22/2010 - FP done
12/30/2010 - Received oath letter
01/27/2011 - Oath date

easybay

Can you check your uscis online record? Does it still stay in interview step? Or it has moved to the next step. thx

How long does it take for the oath letter to come? When I asked about when to oath, he said 2 months. I checked the previous records, it seems the time between interview and oath has been lagging lately.

Latest Update:

Timeline:
GC: 12/2007
DO: San Jose
10/04/2010 Sent N-400 by USPS express mail
10/05/2010 N-400 received according to USPS
10/08/2010 Check cashed
10/11/2010 USCIS E-mail notification & text msg confirming receipt of the filing
10/11/2010 Online case status shows that filing was received on 10/5
10/15/2010 Online case status changed to RFE notice mailed
10/18/2010 Received NOA in the mail
10/20/2010 Biometrics notice received (for 10/28)
10/28/2010 Biometrics done
11/05/2010 Online message changed to: Transferred to local office
11/10/2010 Received interview letter for 12/13/2010 at San Jose DO
12/13/2010 Interview at San Jose DO
01/08/2011 Received Oath Letter
01/27/2011 Oath Date