My timeline: San Jose, CA

06/05/2010: N-400 sent to Phoenix, AZ
06/07/2010: N-400 received
06/16/2010: Check cashed
06/21/2010: NOA received
06/30/2010: RFE email received
07/03/2010: FP notice received
07/23/2010: FP appointment

Had my interview on 6/29 in San Jose DO. A cordial lady went through my file in quite detail and went over all the questions. Was asked the usual 6questions (Date when constitution was written, Longest River, Speaker of the House name, ...) and then asked me to write something like "Lincoln was the President during the Civil War". Asked me why I had not registered for Selective Service. Told her that I was on H-1 during that time. She agreed to that and noted on my application that fact and that I am willing to serve if needed. Towards the end she asked me if I have to go to Secondary INS every time I enter the country. I told her until recently that used to be the case but last time I asked the Immigration Supervisor to review my case and she cleared me and now I don't go through Secondary.

Another important fact is that I had listed all the trips I had taken in the last 14 years since I became PM and attached them as an addendum. I was surprised to hear when she shared with me that they only need to see the last 5 years trips. I told her I wanted to be comprehensive. Having said that, take this information as a data point and not as a ruling on what needs to be done in that section!!!

At the end, she told me that she is recommending me for Approval but she needs to talk to her supervisor because my file has records of all Secondary INS interviews. Since I am supposedly clear now she doesn't think that is an issue but she needs to take this case to the supervisor now. She was nice enough to tell me that my background check is okay based on my FBI clearance.

I am hoping that this stage won't last long. Upon asking how long will it be before I get the Oath letter she told me that it takes up to 2 months and if I don't hear anything back then I should log a ticket with the customer service. I did talk to customer service folks and they told me that it typically takes 90 days but I will be eligible to log a ticket after 120 days. This is conflicting info but sharing with others in case they would like to benefit at some point in time.

Does anybody on this forum know the correct answer to when I could ping customer service and have them look into my case if I don't hear back from INS for a while?

My updated timeline: San Jose, CA

07/23/2010: FP done
07/29/2010: Case transfer to DO/Email update
07/31/2010: IL received
08/31/2010: Interview date

I found the timelines posted here very useful. Here is my own timeiline, so that the others can benefit as well:

04/27 – N-400 sent to Phoenix
04/29 – N-400 received
05/11 – Check cashed
05/18 – FP notice
06/14 – FP done
06/22 – IL
07/26 – Interview (passed)
07/26 – Oath letter (hand delivered)
07/29 – Oath done

Passed my interview last week (8/5 postponed from its original date). The interview
was very quick, a bunch of pre-determined Qs, verified details on the form and thats it.
A note of reading the USCIS booklet of Qs.. please remember the answers directly given
below the questions, and just spell those out. They look for exactly that and nothing more.

My wife's interview is scheduled later this month, although I posted both our requests
for postponement in the same envelope! In fact, she had to make a couple of info pass
visits to ensure that the postponement was done for her.

Wife passed interview today, and was given oath letter in hand
to attend with spouse.

Status update, myself and spouse:
DO: San Jose, CA
3/29/2010 N-400 Mailed
3/31/2010 Received Date (priority date)
4/15/2010 NOA received (post mark 4/12)
4/20/2010 online status updated to RFE (FP in reality)
4/26/2010 FP notice received (post mark 4/22)
4/27/2010 FP done (scheduled: 5/18)
5/22/2010 received IL (scheduled: 6/24)
5/24/2010 sent letters (for myself and wife) to re-schedule interview due to travel
(info pass visit confirmed that this has to be done by mail only)
7/11/2010 received IL for myself (scheduled: 8/5)
(couple of more info pass visits)
7/24/2010 received IL for wife (scheduled: 8/23)
8/5/2010 ID (myself) passed
8/17/2010 received OL
8/23/2010 ID (wife) passed, received OL in hand
8/26/2010 OD for both

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know when the Oath Dates in Sept is for San Jose DO? I notice from this thread that most people have their oath ceremonies on the 4th or 5th Thurs or Fri of the month. My interview is at the end of this month, I'm wondering when the next Oath ceremony is after my interview so I can plan my travel. Thanks all!

Hi All

N-400 was mailed to Phoenix AZ on 8/6/10 with San Jose DO. Text message and email confirmation of acceptance were received today. Waiting for NOA.

Thanks

@ ptshc:
> Does anyone know when the Oath Dates in Sept is for San Jose DO? I notice from this thread that most people have their oath ceremonies on the 4th or 5th Thurs
> or Fri of the month. My interview is at the end of this month, I'm wondering when the next Oath ceremony is after my interview so I can plan my travel. Thanks all!

It seems from many posts, including my data, that oaths are done almost every thu and fri,
and not just the end of the month. However, typically OL is received 10 days after ID and
OD is 20 days after ID.
My suggestion is to politely ask the interviewer, AT THE END OF THE INTERVIEW,
if they know when the oath may be scheduled.

long time lurker, this forum served as an amazing guide throughout the naturalization process! amazing!!!

Had my interview at the USCIS office in monterey road this morning, scheduled for 9am. Very quick, easy and painless. Interviewer only looked at my license and greencard and skimmed through my application after i completed the english and civics section. Whole thing lasted about 8 minutes and was asked if i was able to attend the oath ceremony next Thurs (26th) at 3pm at Campbell. I said yes and was told to wait for my oath letter. After waiting in the waiting room for 20 mins, was called out and handed my oath letter.

So relieved the journey is over! Sent in application May 17th (5 year mark is Aug 14) so whole process took 3+ months.

btw, does anyone know if we will be able to apply for our passports at the oath ceremony at Campbell? or do they not offer this? thanks!

Thanks Sriramgrajan! I did find the City of Campbell website that lists the upcoming Oath Ceremonies. So far they only listed the one in Aug. I wonder if the OD takes place in other venues. I can't post URL because I haven't made 15 posts or more on this site, but if you google City of Campbell, go to their website and upcoming event, you'll see it. The next OD is on 8/26.

Thanks Sriramgrajan! I did find the City of Campbell website that lists the upcoming Oath Ceremonies. So far they only listed the one in Aug. I wonder if the OD takes place in other venues. I can't post URL because I haven't made 15 posts or more on this site, but if you google City of Campbell, go to their website and upcoming event, you'll see it. The next OD is on 8/26.

You'r right and here is the link..
ci.campbell.ca.us/heritagetheatre/events.htm
Heard from my wife that she saw others carrying OL today given after interview,
since the OD is 3 days later. So it seems to be on fixed dates of the month, but
planned only a month ahead by uscis. You can try calling the city of campbell.
As far as I know campbell is the only city doing the oath around the bay area.

Had my interview this morning! I was in the waiting room for 40 mins before being called in. The IO was super nice. Did the reading and writing tests first, then civic test. She spent a lot of time going through my application. She checked the stamps in my passports even though they're all short trips (less than 1 month). There was one mystery stamp appeared in my passport when at the time I was in the country. I was nervous that she was not going to recommend my application for approval because the date of that stamp did not match what I wrote in my application. I was able to convince her that it was a mistake because there was no stamp on the actual date of entry (of that trip). I remember I was looking at that for a long time when I was filling out my application, I should've saved my ticket and brought it with me to prove my actual travel dates. Anyhow, she's nice, she trusted me and recommended my application for approval. Got my hand-delivered oath letter for the special "Constitution Day" Oath ceremony on 9/17. Note, it's NOT at the Campbell theater, it's at the Kelley Park Amphitheater!

07/23/2010: FP done
07/29/2010: Case transfer to DO/Email update
07/31/2010: IL received
08/31/2010: Interview date
08/31/2010: Same day oath letter
09/17/2010: Oath ceremony

I've been waiting for this day for over 9 years!

Status update for myself and my husband:

09/07/2010 - N-400 sent to Phoenix

09/08/2010 - N-400 received
09/14/2010 - Checks cashed

09/08/2010 - N-400 received
09/14/2010 - Checks cashed
09/16/2010 - NOA received
10/01/2010 - RFE email received
10/02/2010 - RFE letter received
10/22/2010 - FP appointment scheduled

I don't see the answer to passport application question in post#4631. Just to repeat - Does anybody know if we could apply for passport immediately after oath ceremony at Campbell heritage theater?