San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Long Story!
Half a hour after getting to work, I get a phone call from the Officer who interviewed me. He told me to check my email, and lo and behold, I have my oath letter!!! I was so happy, I cried at work. He told me to print it out, bring the necessary documents, and in the email lets me know that my birth certificate has the wrong year initially marked on it. Its corrected with the right year, but since its a technicality, the FBI had to further investigate. The officer rocks, he even emailed me back to make sure me and my uncle were scheduled for the same time at Campbell. :)

So....tomorrow, I'll become a U.S. Citizen!!!! I'm so excited! and Relieved! Thanks for everyone checking up on me! And a big shoutout to goodsaint, I think the letter helped me out a lot today! :D

Good work, Greenmushroom! Glad that it finally worked out and they did have a reason for the pending and someone help figuring it out. I believe everyone in this forum is waiting for your news. We cheer for you! Congratulations! :)

Hey I am happy to hear that they finally woke up in your case too. I am also scheduled to take oath at 3pm tomorrow. Meet me up there. I will send you tel via PM.

Seems like that letter has some magical powers :)

Long Story!

So, I couldn't go last week to the INS, since work was really busy. I went today in the morning instead. My Uncle applied for his citizenship two months after me, got interviewed like two weeks ago, and is scheduled for tomorrow's ceremony. I told this to the lady at the counter, and she told me the same story as last time, that every case is different. Anywho, she's looking through her computer, and suddenly asks me when I was born. I give her the date, and she's like, that's strange. She then tells me that my name is going through a FBI name check - I was like...WHAT?:confused: It scared the hell out of me. Apparently, the wrong year of birth was filed somewhere. I asked what I needed to do to get that fixed, and she told me I could do nothing at the INS, this was an issue that the FBI handled. I have a panic attack inside. Then she goes, oh, wait a minute, you were cleared last week, you should get your oath letter in the next couple of weeks. I ask her if I can attend tomorrow's ceremony with my uncle, that I'm still applying for internships abroad, and she was like, no, but there are plenty of in house ceremonies in September, so I should get one soon enough.

*phew* I drive back to work, relieved to finally figure out (somewhat) what was delaying my case.

Half a hour after getting to work, I get a phone call from the Officer who interviewed me. He told me to check my email, and lo and behold, I have my oath letter!!! I was so happy, I cried at work. He told me to print it out, bring the necessary documents, and in the email lets me know that my birth certificate has the wrong year initially marked on it. Its corrected with the right year, but since its a technicality, the FBI had to further investigate. The officer rocks, he even emailed me back to make sure me and my uncle were scheduled for the same time at Campbell. :)

So....tomorrow, I'll become a U.S. Citizen!!!! I'm so excited! and Relieved! Thanks for everyone checking up on me! And a big shoutout to goodsaint, I think the letter helped me out a lot today! :D

---------------------------------------------------

03/12/2009 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix
03/16/2008 - Priority date
03/24/2009 - Check cashed
04/03/2009 - Notice Date of Fingerpoint
04/09/2009 - Fingerprint Notice received
04/22/2009 - Fingerprints taken
05/14/2009 - Case File Review Notice dated
05/18/2009 - Case File Review Notice received
05/20/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview dated
05/22/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview received
06/29/2009 - Interview Scheduled (passed)
09/16/2009 - Oath Letter via email
09/17/2009 - Oath Ceremony at 3pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DISTRICT OFFICE: SAN JOSE, CA

05/28/2009 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix (FeDex Overnight) (DAY 01)
05/29/2009 - N-400 Application Received (Phoenix AZ) (DAY 02)
05/29/2009 - Priority Letter Date (Day 02)
06/02/2009 - I-797C Notice of Action Letter Date (Day 06)
06/04/2009 - Check Cashed (Day 08)
06/06/2009- Received I-797 Notice of Action Letter-----------(Day 10)
06/12/2009- Rec'd I-797C NOA Fingerprint Notice Date ------------(Day 16)
06/15/2009- Rec'd I-797C NOA Fingerprint Notice Letter Received--- (Day 19)
06/25/2009- Fingerprint Scheduled Date--------------------------------(Day 29)
06/18/2009- FingerPrint done -------------------------------------------(Day 22)
07/10/2009- Interview Notice Letter------------------------------------(Day 44)
08/19/2009- Interview Date---------------------------------------------(Day 85)
08/29/2009- Oath Letter Rec'd-------------------------------------------(Day 95)
09/17/2009- Oath Ceremony (1:00 PM)---------------------------------- (Day 114)

I am planning to apply for a US passport right after the ceremony, what documents should I bring in applying a passport? Fees? My oath is at 1:00 PM and would like to have a photocopy of my naturalization certificate before I give it to passport processing. Can I comeback to Heritage Theater after I make a photo copy of my certificate and then process the passport?

Fill out form DS-11, don't sign, drivers license, two pics, naturalization cert., a check for $75 (payable to US State Dept., add $60 for expedite processing), another check or cash (either 25 if post office, some other receiving centers charge $30).

Naturalization certificates have this wording on face "Do not copy this certificate unless you are authorized...." I am not sure if the named bearer of the certificate is authorized to make copies.

Having a copy will not help you in anyway even if you have it and the original is lost. So why bother. Just make a note of your A number.

Do they have a passport app collection center in Heritage Theater?

DISTRICT OFFICE: SAN JOSE, CA

05/28/2009 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix (FeDex Overnight) (DAY 01)
05/29/2009 - N-400 Application Received (Phoenix AZ) (DAY 02)
05/29/2009 - Priority Letter Date (Day 02)
06/02/2009 - I-797C Notice of Action Letter Date (Day 06)
06/04/2009 - Check Cashed (Day 08)
06/06/2009- Received I-797 Notice of Action Letter-----------(Day 10)
06/12/2009- Rec'd I-797C NOA Fingerprint Notice Date ------------(Day 16)
06/15/2009- Rec'd I-797C NOA Fingerprint Notice Letter Received--- (Day 19)
06/25/2009- Fingerprint Scheduled Date--------------------------------(Day 29)
06/18/2009- FingerPrint done -------------------------------------------(Day 22)
07/10/2009- Interview Notice Letter------------------------------------(Day 44)
08/19/2009- Interview Date---------------------------------------------(Day 85)
08/29/2009- Oath Letter Rec'd-------------------------------------------(Day 95)
09/17/2009- Oath Ceremony (1:00 PM)---------------------------------- (Day 114)

I am planning to apply for a US passport right after the ceremony, what documents should I bring in applying a passport? Fees? My oath is at 1:00 PM and would like to have a photocopy of my naturalization certificate before I give it to passport processing. Can I comeback to Heritage Theater after I make a photo copy of my certificate and then process the passport?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they have a passport app collection center in Heritage Theater?

Same question here. Do they have passport service there?
I heard for post office, an appointment is required for passport app. Is that so? Can we make appointment on the same day or we have to do that earlier?
Also, the hours for passport service at each post office seem different, some close early like 2pm, and some open till 4pm.

Hi All, great to be part of this forum after 5 years :)

Added my time line to signature.

I haven't gotten any snail mail about receipt date or other details. How are members getting this information? My checks are cashed from the bank. Also what is NOA means?

Thanks for all your help - hoping to have a smooth ride to citizenship with you all.

waiting with hope - again after 5 years!

check usps.com. They list timings and whether an appointment is needed for each post office.

I heard for post office, an appointment is required for passport app. Is that so? Can we make appointment on the same day or we have to do that earlier?
Also, the hours for passport service at each post office seem different, some close early like 2pm, and some open till 4pm.

many post offices don't require an appointment. Its best to call and find from the post office.
I know for sure in that the one in Alviso and one on Lafayette st (Santa Clara) don't require one and are not crowded usually.

Took oath yesterday. Total 420 people. Applying for a passport today. Thanks everybody for your good wishes.

ND 3/18/2009
ID 6/30/2009
OD 9/17/2009

Interview letter recieved

Just recieved IL for wife and self:

Our timeline:

07/31/2009: N400 Mailed to Phoenix, AZ
08/03/2009: Receipt Date/Priority Date
09/08/2009: FP completed as per scheduled appt
09/20/2009: IL recieved
10/19/2009: Interview date

I have a question. We are planning a trip to India around Christmas time (12/25). Provided our interview proceeds smoothly:

1) When are we likely to get oath?
2) Will there be enough time after oath to apply and get new US passport, and then apply for Indian PIO card/visa?

Do forum members think we have enough time to get all proper docs and make this India trip, or do we need to postpone the trip?

Just recieved IL for wife and self:

Our timeline:

07/31/2009: N400 Mailed to Phoenix, AZ
08/03/2009: Receipt Date/Priority Date
09/08/2009: FP completed as per scheduled appt
09/20/2009: IL recieved
10/19/2009: Interview date

I have a question. We are planning a trip to India around Christmas time (12/25). Provided our interview proceeds smoothly:

1) When are we likely to get oath?
2) Will there be enough time after oath to apply and get new US passport, and then apply for Indian PIO card/visa?

Do forum members think we have enough time to get all proper docs and make this India trip, or do we need to postpone the trip?

As of now, it appears you might have sufficient time. The key is your date of interview, what you learn at the end - whether you've been approved, and if oath is scheduled soon. In any case, you would have time to atleast secure a visa to travel to India (after an expedited US passport).

One q for you from your timeline. Did you receive an e-mail/online notification (on USCIS's website) to the effect that your "case was sent for a standard interview" (prior to your receipt of the Interview letter itself)?

Last edited by a moderator:
As of now, it appears you might have sufficient time. The key is your date of interview, what you learn at the end - whether you've been approved, and if oath is scheduled soon. In any case, you would have time to atleast secure a visa to travel to India (after an expedited US passport).

One q for you from your timeline. Did you receive an e-mail/online notification (on USCIS's website) to the effect that your "case was sent for a standard interview" (prior to your receipt of the Interview letter itself)?

Thanks for your comments, Semi.

I have not signed up to get email notification from USCIS, but I did check case status online a few days after my FP was completed, and the message had been changed to "case was sent for a standard interview". A few days later (i.e., yesterday), we recieved the interview letters.

update

San Jose

08/05/2009: N400 Mailed to Phoenix, AZ
08/07/2009: Receipt Date/Priority Date
08/11/2009: Notice Date
08/13/09 : Check Cashed
08/14/2009: NOA received
08/20/2009: FP notice date
09/01/2009: FP done(my appointment was for sep 12. I stopped by to ask for a new appointment as I was travelling on my appointment day. They did my FP immediately instead of a new appointment date. I am so surprised and also glad about that)
09/21/2009: IL received
10/15/2009: ID
XX/XX/2009: Oath Letter
XX/XX/2009: Oath Date
XX/XX/2009: Passport Application Date
XX/XX/2009: Received Passport

I didn't see many people getting interviewed lately. I found most people from the thread getting their oath letters in 10-14 days after the interview. I was wondering if anyone getting oath letter these few days or is it just the DO is slower these days?

I found waiting is really frustrated. My IO said it's quite possible for me to get the oath on September. She also called me last Thursday to tell me that I can't change my name during the oath (she did tell me but she forgot). Then when I asked about the oath date, she still said that I should be getting the oath on September. However, there is still nothing coming through mail. I even called the customer service, and the 2nd level IO said my case is still under review and of course no oath date being set. This doesn't seem like a good sign. :(
I hope it's not he name change thing stopping my case.:confused:

Hey I am happy to hear that they finally woke up in your case too. I am also scheduled to take oath at 3pm tomorrow. Meet me up there. I will send you tel via PM.

Seems like that letter has some magical powers :)

Goodsaint. I hope you didn't sign off from this forum. Could you PM me the information in your letter. My OL seems delayed. I was wondering I might need to use your magic letter.

WishAllGood
I think there was a fairly large ceremony last week. Give it a few days and you should get your oath letter. Any reason you suspect your oath letter has an issue? I'm all for contacting USCIS when there is a problem, but when there is none you waste your time and waste the time of USCIS affecting other fellow applicants ;)

Dear All,

congratulations to all those people who took oath on a great day 17th sept 2009. :) ..Looks like there was a party that day !!

I do see lots of people have interviews on 1st, 10th, 27th October, But

Is anybody here who has OATH Scheduled in October 2009?? Please share your Oath Dates for October?

Regards,
MG