San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

What's the reason to go do early FP? Are you going to travel? Or is it just impatience?

I had a similar experience too. The security guy did not allow early FP.

I then went in on the scheduled FP date but received my interview letter 8 days later.

As others have posted. It does not matter if you do early FP, its still the same timeline.

AOS "Last Updated" date changed

Just noticed it today. My AOS was approved back in 2004. But noticed that the "Last Updated" date changed to yesterday!! Anyone else have that experience?

Oath ceromony on conescutive days ?

Got Oath letter for oath ceremony this Thursday at 1.30 at San Jose.
Strange thing my wife has it on Friday at same location and time. I am suspecting that it might be typo. Any idea how to verify it ? I tried looking up for phone number on web but didn't get it.

Can oath dates be on consecutive days ?

It is not a typo - I am in exactly the same situation as yours. And there is one more.
Check my earlier post.
The post id is #4145 in this thread. This site does not allow me to post URL yet.

Got Oath letter for oath ceremony this Thursday at 1.30 at San Jose.
Strange thing my wife has it on Friday at same location and time. I am suspecting that it might be typo. Any idea how to verify it ? I tried looking up for phone number on web but didn't get it.

Can oath dates be on consecutive days ?

Oath done today at 1.30pm at San Jose. The ceremony started about 45 min late and was over in about ~30 min. There were about 70-80 folks I believe who took the oath. Now moving to next stage - applying for the passport !

Oath done today at 1:30 pm in San Jose. Everything got over by 2:30. There was a long line to get in and then several minutes of wait while seated. There was a speech, followed by administration of oath and then a video of President Obama and finally distribution of certificate of naturalization.

Congrats for the guys having oath done these days.
I had my interview this noon and was passed.:D My IO was nice but a bit serious. However, when I asked for possible oath dates on September, she was willing to help to ask. However, after waited for a while, she came out and said that it's possible that those who interviewed today may get an oath day on 9/25 and told me to go home. Thanks for her effort anyway. I am now moving to the next step for waiting for my oath letter then.

My questions were simple. I will post my answers for the guys who like to know what they tested. I bet you guys can tell what are the questions.
1. American Indians
2. Barack Obama
3. Nancy Pelosi
4. Bill of rights
5. Mississippi and Missouri river
6. July 4, 1776
My reading and written test was about Lincoln.

Thanks for the help of the people in the forum. You guys are awesome. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Done with citizenship

This part of application was smoothest.

Timeline for process -
Applied for Citizenship around 10th of May
Got finger print notice in abt 3 weeks
Interview date - Early August
Oath ceremony - 10th Sep

Putting traffic tickets on application is no problem.
During interview just having a letter from DMV abt ur driving history is enough. Interviewer didn't bother to even look at it though I got standard letter before interview stating that "I mentioned in my application that I was arrested blah blah blah..." which was true. I just got the over speeding ticket.

Good luck guys.

When interview happens before 5 years are complete..

Anyone faced this?

We (spouse and I) passed our interview on 9/11 but the IO said they cannot legally recommend us for Citizenship as it is not yet 5 years since GC was approved (we were 2 days short of 5 years).

Thus our status was "decision cannot be made". Hopefully, this is simply a procedural issue and things will move on ...

Personally, I cannot use Early and USCIS in the same sentence. Thought I would ask you all..

thanks,

mrm.

GC Date: 9/13/2004
N-400 PD: 6/24/2009
N-400 FP: 7/25/2009
N-400 ID: 9/11/2009 ---->> (2 days early)

=================

Citizenship Update

Hi All,

Did my citizenship interview. The IO was very nice and profenssional. My case was very straight forward. I do suggest to be very well prepared with your documents and be orgenized. They like that!!! I asked her if it would be possible to have the oath done in September and she said its "maybe" possible since they have about 8 ceremonies at the San Jose INS office.

Here is my update

06/10/09 Mailed N400 – to Phoenix
06/11/09 Delivered to USCIS
06/15/09 Notice Date
06/16/09 Check Cashed
06/19/09 Received Receipt Notice
06/22/09 Received Fingerprint Notice
07/14/09 Fingerprint Date - Scheduled
07-27-09 Received Interview Letter
09-02-09 Interview (passed)
09-12-09 Recieved Oath Letter
09-24-09 Oath Date

Good Luck to all!

mm6 - I have my interview on 10/5 and mine is a straight fwd case too, could you tell me the documents you have carried to the interview in addition to the list of items that were requested in interview letter.

Thanks

Hello All,

Thanks to Ramkaps for asking this question.
Our interview is planned on 1st Oct 2009 .Can you please suggest the list of Documents one should take with him at the time of Interview?

Regards,
Mudita

mm6 - I have my interview on 10/5 and mine is a straight fwd case too, could you tell me the documents you have carried to the interview in addition to the list of items that were requested in interview letter.

Thanks

Hi ramkaps,

I took exactly the required documents noted on that list. I was very much organized (had everything in a binder). I also took with me an updated page of the N-400 application (travel section) which made her glad that she did not have to re-write the additional info. Try to make things as easy as possible for the IO.

Also, with regard to traffic tickets (I think it was about $60 ticket), I did have one around 1995-96 but did not mention it on the form. I did brought it up during the interview and provided a letter from county court that my file is clear. She was ok with it.

Hope this helps.

With regard to documents required for my interview, just one correction...I did not have the selective service letter. I did not mention it and the IO did not ask for it.

08/05/2009: N400 Mailed to Phoenix, AZ
08/07/2009: Receipt Date/Priority Date
08/11/2009: Notice Date
08/13/09 : Check Cashed
08/14/2009: NOA received
08/20/2009: FP notice date
09/01/2009: FP done(my appointment was for sep 12. But was able to do walkin on 1st sep since I was not going to be in town on the 12th)
09/09/2009 : got the standard interview update email on the case
XX/XX/2009: IL received
XX/XX/2009: ID
XX/XX/2009: Oath Letter
XX/XX/2009: Oath Date
XX/XX/2009: Passport Application Date
XX/XX/2009: Received Passport

finally!!!!

greenmushroom:- What did they say Wednesday? any luck?

Long Story!

So, I couldn't go last week to the INS, since work was really busy. I went today in the morning instead. My Uncle applied for his citizenship two months after me, got interviewed like two weeks ago, and is scheduled for tomorrow's ceremony. I told this to the lady at the counter, and she told me the same story as last time, that every case is different. Anywho, she's looking through her computer, and suddenly asks me when I was born. I give her the date, and she's like, that's strange. She then tells me that my name is going through a FBI name check - I was like...WHAT?:confused: It scared the hell out of me. Apparently, the wrong year of birth was filed somewhere. I asked what I needed to do to get that fixed, and she told me I could do nothing at the INS, this was an issue that the FBI handled. I have a panic attack inside. Then she goes, oh, wait a minute, you were cleared last week, you should get your oath letter in the next couple of weeks. I ask her if I can attend tomorrow's ceremony with my uncle, that I'm still applying for internships abroad, and she was like, no, but there are plenty of in house ceremonies in September, so I should get one soon enough.

*phew* I drive back to work, relieved to finally figure out (somewhat) what was delaying my case.

Half a hour after getting to work, I get a phone call from the Officer who interviewed me. He told me to check my email, and lo and behold, I have my oath letter!!! I was so happy, I cried at work. He told me to print it out, bring the necessary documents, and in the email lets me know that my birth certificate has the wrong year initially marked on it. Its corrected with the right year, but since its a technicality, the FBI had to further investigate. The officer rocks, he even emailed me back to make sure me and my uncle were scheduled for the same time at Campbell. :)

So....tomorrow, I'll become a U.S. Citizen!!!! I'm so excited! and Relieved! Thanks for everyone checking up on me! And a big shoutout to goodsaint, I think the letter helped me out a lot today! :D

---------------------------------------------------

03/12/2009 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix
03/16/2008 - Priority date
03/24/2009 - Check cashed
04/03/2009 - Notice Date of Fingerpoint
04/09/2009 - Fingerprint Notice received
04/22/2009 - Fingerprints taken
05/14/2009 - Case File Review Notice dated
05/18/2009 - Case File Review Notice received
05/20/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview dated
05/22/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview received
06/29/2009 - Interview Scheduled (passed)
09/16/2009 - Oath Letter via email
09/17/2009 - Oath Ceremony at 3pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!