San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Per Ashieh's spreadsheet, there are other ppl who haven't received their oath letters. Well.. or at least they haven't updated the information.
Can anyone of you guys here update whether you have received March oath?

bkarth
Raj
PasadenaDude
siliconhybrid
PAtoSF
sept2001
VIETQDOAN
Curious Gir
montage9
neon_lite
gv27347
Amicus

as for me, I just scheduled infopass ofor Monday morning 3 Feb.
anything I should ask other than asking about my oath date?

I can tell you that I am still waiting for my oath letter. Like I mentioned before, my wife got the oath letter earlier this week for 03/20. Both of us have the same PD and the interview date. I'd be very interested to know the outcome of your infopass. I'll decide later if I want to schedule one or not. The thing I am afraid of is the oath letter getting lost in the mail. Because I have missed some other important letters in recent past (such as 1099s).

I can tell you that I am still waiting for my oath letter. Like I mentioned before, my wife got the oath letter earlier this week for 03/20. Both of us have the same PD and the interview date. I'd be very interested to know the outcome of your infopass. I'll decide later if I want to schedule one or not. The thing I am afraid of is the oath letter getting lost in the mail. Because I have missed some other important letters in recent past (such as 1099s).

Don't worry, oath letter will eventually come. See my signature and it will give you an idea how things happen. I personally know few others who has the same experience.

On the topic of SSS...

I just got my interview letter and one of the requirements is to get the SSS.
I also got my GC after I was 26yrs old.

What, if anything, do I need to do to satisfy this requirement

Thanks

If you were older than 26 years old on the date printed on your green card, you are fine; you don't need to do anything.
You should have selected "No" for question # 33.
During your interview, your interviewer may ask you that question again.
My experience is that he asked if I have registered for SSS.
I said no.
He asked why.
I said I was older than 26 years old when I got my permanent residency.
He checked my green card, and move on to the next question.

Yep,

I see this the same way. Why bother getting documents for stuff that doesn't apply?
I already said no, gave an oath, the GC with the date - that should be good enough.

Thank you. I really appreciate it. I will look into this.
I was definitely 26yrs old when I got my green card. I also answered the question correctly in the N400.
Is it common for them to ask for this document (in the interview letter) even then.

I believe I anwered the question correctly. Thanks for the advice. I will certainly keep that in mind. Meanwhile, I will try to get some sort of letter from SSS.

Thx

oath date patterns and predictions

I did a little mining on the oath ceremony dates from the spreadsheet and I noticed a couple of patterns:

1) In general oath ceremonies are scheduled only one day per month with multiple (3?) sessions on that day. I think Feb was the exception with 2 days, but all other months seem to have no more than 1 day.

2) The oath ceremony is generally on Wed or Thu of 3rd or 4th week of the month. This pattern was broken for Nov and Dec, but I believe that was because of the holidays.

3) In general, the oath letter arrives 3-4 weeks in advance of the ceremony to provide sufficient advance notice.

Predictions:
1) No more March oath ceremony letter will be received at this point, since we are now out of the 3-4 week window (see 3 above).

2) The next oath ceremony will be on (or about) 04/23 or 04/24. It could also be the week before that.

3) The next batch of oath ceremony letters will be received in the week of 03/17 and 03/23 (depending on whether the oath is in the week of 04/23 or previous week).

Of course, these are just predictions and we'll see how far they are correct.

Citizenship Civil Questions Practice

Hello:

Several people on the forum mentioned using a CD to prep for the questions. Any idea where to get them? I also noticed someone mentioned received some type of prep material that at the time of finger printing. Any idea where i can obtain them?

courtesy mrdp ...

Upcoming USCIS Naturalization Ceremonies

Jan 23
Feb 21
Mar 20
Apr 24
May 22
Jun 18

See Page 4
http://www.ci.campbell.ca.us/Recreation/activityguide/WinterSpring08/Special Events.pdf

There are about a dozen Interviewing Officers at San Jose DO. IF each officer interviews about 10 candidates each day and there are 15 days of interviews every month, we are looking at a minimum of 1800 applicants doing interviews every month. Anecdotal data about oath ceremony at Campbell indicates that less than 500 people are administered oath in each of the 3 sessions. So, roughly 300 people get backlogged every month for oath. This backlog occasionally causes San Jose DO to hold extra oaths at Monterrey Hwy Office. I don't think there is an additional oath ceremony at Monterrey Hwy in the month of March. Let's hope April has one.

keep us in the loop

Per Ashieh's spreadsheet, there are other ppl who haven't received their oath letters. Well.. or at least they haven't updated the information.
Can anyone of you guys here update whether you have received March oath?

bkarth
Raj
PasadenaDude
siliconhybrid
PAtoSF
sept2001
VIETQDOAN
Curious Gir
montage9
neon_lite
gv27347
Amicus

as for me, I just scheduled infopass ofor Monday morning 3 Feb.
anything I should ask other than asking about my oath date?

You mean to say you have an infopass today right. Please keep us in the loop. Still No Oath letter for me :confused: :(

04/17/07: FedExed
04/19/07: Received
04/19/07: Priority Date
04/20/07: Notice Date
05/10/07: FP Notice
06/14/07: FP Appt and Done
01/17/08: Interview
??/??/??: Oath

You mean to say you have an infopass today right. Please keep us in the loop. Still No Oath letter for me :confused: :(

04/17/07: FedExed
04/19/07: Received
04/19/07: Priority Date
04/20/07: Notice Date
05/10/07: FP Notice
06/14/07: FP Appt and Done
01/17/08: Interview
??/??/??: Oath

Yes I had an infopass appt this morning at 8:30am. There were only 3 windows open, 1 of them, window #15, had a very mean officer, he just butchered a couple of ppl before me. Unfortunately, I had to go to his window. Here is my conversation:

IO: What are you here for?
Me: I am here to check the status of my citizenship Oath Ceremony. I had my interview about a month ago or so, I was told by Officer Wu during interview... (cut off)...
IO: I doesn't matter what the officer told you. You will get your oath letter when you get it.
Me: OK, I understand oath letters are sent 4 weeks prior the Oath, I am wondering if the letter had been sent, and that it may have gotten lost in the mail.
IO: No it won't get lost in the mail unless you changed your address. You will be notified when your oath will be ...(typing..typing..) OK, it looks like you are approved, everything looks good on your citizenship application, you will be notified by mail on the Oath date, be it March 20 or in 24 April. All oath letters are sent 4 weeks prior, so either you will get it this week for March or you will be put in April oath ceremony.
Me: OK, but can you tell me if my oath letter had been sent?
IO: You will get it when you get it. Good day.

Basically, he won't answer my question about whether my oath letter had been sent or not. Not a fruitful appt, except a confirmation there is no background/name check pending for my case. I was going to ask whether I can get in March Oath at other places (SF or Sacto), but I figured it may complicate things.

At this point I have less than 5% confidence I will have Oath in March, but I am 90% sure in April. Wow... that would make it 12 month (-7 days) to obtain a citizenship from the application date.

Hello:

Several people on the forum mentioned using a CD to prep for the questions. Any idea where to get them? I also noticed someone mentioned received some type of prep material that at the time of finger printing. Any idea where i can obtain them?

I got mine during finger printing process. You might want to go back to finger print location, perhaps they can give you another copy.

Passport standard processing

Looks like standard processing for passport is taking only 2-3 weeks. I applied for my passport the same day of the oath (Feb/15) since I will be traveling out of the country on Mar/28 and so I had exactly 6 weeks.

I applied for standard processing and sent it regular mail. I called them today Mar/3 (two weeks since I applied) and found that my passport was mailed out to me today. I can expect to receive two envelopes, one with my passport and the other with the backup documentation in the next 3-5 days. I did fill out in my application that I would be traveling on Mar/28.

I will keep the forum posted but if I do receive the passport by Friday it will be exactly 3 weeks including mail time for my passport.

Passport standard processing

Looks like standard processing for passport is taking only 2-3 weeks. I applied for my passport the same day of the oath (Feb/15) since I will be traveling out of the country on Mar/28 and so I had exactly 6 weeks.

I applied for standard processing and sent it regular mail. I called them today Mar/3 (two weeks since I applied) and found that my passport was mailed out to me today. I can expect to receive two envelopes, one with my passport and the other with the backup documentation in the next 3-5 days. I did fill out in my application that I would be traveling on Mar/28.

I will keep the forum posted but if I do receive the passport by Friday it will be exactly 3 weeks including mail time for my passport.

Mine (regular processing too) would be less than 2 weeks. :)
I applied at USPS on 2/22, and now the Department of State web site says it is mailed out today using Priority Mail, so it should get here in 2 to 3 days.
BTW, what is "backup documentation", you meant the naturalization certificate?

For those who are waiting for the oath letters, hang in there; no need to worry at this time I think. It may be due to a large backlog there. Remember, there were more ceremonies in Feb than usual.

Citizenship Civil Questions Practice

Hello Siliconhybrid:

I went to application support center shortly after my fingerprint and again about 1 month ago when i first received my interview letter. I was told that they no longer have the printouts and CDs available as the new test will take effect soon. This is why the flashcard in their bookstore is backordered and i feel they have no intent to print more for sale. Do you think you might be able to share yours with me? I would be glad to pay a fee or return the CD after my interview. Anyone care to share your copy?

Thank you

I got mine during finger printing process. You might want to go back to finger print location, perhaps they can give you another copy.

what a rude officer

Yes I had an infopass appt this morning at 8:30am. There were only 3 windows open, 1 of them, window #15, had a very mean officer, he just butchered a couple of ppl before me. Unfortunately, I had to go to his window. Here is my conversation:

IO: What are you here for?
Me: I am here to check the status of my citizenship Oath Ceremony. I had my interview about a month ago or so, I was told by Officer Wu during interview... (cut off)...
IO: I doesn't matter what the officer told you. You will get your oath letter when you get it.
Me: OK, I understand oath letters are sent 4 weeks prior the Oath, I am wondering if the letter had been sent, and that it may have gotten lost in the mail.
IO: No it won't get lost in the mail unless you changed your address. You will be notified when your oath will be ...(typing..typing..) OK, it looks like you are approved, everything looks good on your citizenship application, you will be notified by mail on the Oath date, be it March 20 or in 24 April. All oath letters are sent 4 weeks prior, so either you will get it this week for March or you will be put in April oath ceremony.
Me: OK, but can you tell me if my oath letter had been sent?
IO: You will get it when you get it. Good day.

Basically, he won't answer my question about whether my oath letter had been sent or not. Not a fruitful appt, except a confirmation there is no background/name check pending for my case. I was going to ask whether I can get in March Oath at other places (SF or Sacto), but I figured it may complicate things.

At this point I have less than 5% confidence I will have Oath in March, but I am 90% sure in April. Wow... that would make it 12 month (-7 days) to obtain a citizenship from the application date.

Well what a rude and mean officer. I guess we just need to wait and see what happens. Thanks a lot for the update siliconhybrid. I really appreciate it.

bkarth

do you need a PDF file?

Hello Siliconhybrid:

I went to application support center shortly after my fingerprint and again about 1 month ago when i first received my interview letter. I was told that they no longer have the printouts and CDs available as the new test will take effect soon. This is why the flashcard in their bookstore is backordered and i feel they have no intent to print more for sale. Do you think you might be able to share yours with me? I would be glad to pay a fee or return the CD after my interview. Anyone care to share your copy?

Thank you

I have all the questions in a PDF format. Do you need that? Send a Private message with you email address, I will forward that to you.

Later,
bkarth

Another Question

Hello:

Sorry that i am back so soon for another question. Since we are bring a three year old with us on the day of interview, I want to make sure everything go smoothly and that the child doesn't end up waiting for hours in the line.

1. My interview is at 8:40am in the morning and i want to make sure that getting there around 8:20 is good enough? Anyone recently been to the interview please share with your experience, was the office crowed? was the security line long? was the room filled with people waiting for interview? What did you do if you brought your child with you? Well, here is what i would do: I plan on bring in a few books, a bag with activities and craft so the child can be entertained while my spouse attends her. This is under the assumption that our stay at USCIS is no more than a hour otherwise the child will get bored without being able to scream, run, and play actively.

2. I assume that once i am in the interview and if it turned out i need to stay longer than i expected (say more than 30 minutes in the interview session), can my spouse leave with the baby and return? or should we just figure out a place to meet if this is the case that they have to leave the building so the child can play a bit?

3. Since we are going hiking after the interview, i assume there is a restroom there that i can change into my normal cloth (i think i will dress a bit formal for the interview)??? any idea?

Sorry for so many questions, we are trying to coordinate with each other and want to ensure everything goes smoothly to make sure the baby doesn't get bored or run out of patience. Help us please.