San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Hi nitinkrsri,

I really don't think they will ask that question.
In my opinion, it is not reasonable to require you to remember all the 13 states.
I did not remember them all before interview:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1847114&postcount=2853

Another question I was asked was about the bill of rights and immediately after I said "freedom of speech" my interviewer stopped me from giving more answers. He said "that's enough".
If someone has been asked to state all 13 colonies, please report. I really doubt that.
But then it is their interview and they can ask whatever they want; so don't blame me if they indeed ask this question.

One of my friends told me he got about 4 questions wrong because he did not study at all (what a brave person!), but he still passed.
So, read the Q&A in the booklet one more time before you go to bed tonight, and relax, you'll be fine.

More than brave I would say "foolish" ;) I believe at the time I was preparing for my interview and I mentioned about memorizing the 13 colonies someone mentioned that they were asked for them. Anyway, I might be wrong. Yes, most interviewees don't mention having been asked this question, which makes me believe it is not a commonly asked question. The IO would have to keep track of all the states you are saying and making sure you don't repeat or miss any.

I have lost old expired passport - Please help

Dear Friends,

I am new to this forum. One of my friends referred this forum to me. It is very very useful. I have interview next week and I have questions for you guys, please help me to find an answers. I have lost my old expired passport which expired Jan 2003 and only have photo copies of all pages. Is it OK to go with current new passport and photo copies of the old expired passport? Will the officer accept the photo copies of the old expired passport? Is there any chance for any kind of problems? Anyone had a similar situation? Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Hudsu

My details are:

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose
05/23/2007 : Priority Date
03/05/2008 : Interview appointment

There is no requirement to have the old passport for any reasons.
i.e. Germany would retain an expired passport, thus you wouldn't have one.

Don't worry.

I was asked only three questions. I don't remember the first two but the third one was to name the first 13 states. As soon as I listed all 13 states, the officer said "that's enough you passed the history test". My friend's wife was asked to name all 13 states too.

Only 3 questions? That 13-state question wase counted as 8 questions then.
Glad that he did not asked me about that. Otherwise I would be able to name only half of them. :p

I was asked only three questions. I don't remember the first two but the third one was to name the first 13 states. As soon as I listed all 13 states, the officer said "that's enough you passed the history test". My friend's wife was asked to name all 13 states too.

For people living or having lived on the East Coast, it really should not be difficult to name the 13 states.

how to contact San Jose Center

Still no Oath letter. Right now I am in Michigan (consulting work) and don't know when I will be home as we are on a very tight schedule here.

Is there any way to contact San Jose service center over the phone and check my status?

If I make infopass here in Michigan will they be able to tell me about my case?

:confused:

---------------------------------------------------------
04/17/07: FedExed
04/19/07: Received
04/19/07: Priority Date
04/20/07: Notice Date
05/10/07: FP Notice
06/14/07: FP Appt and Done
01/17/08: Interview
??/??/??: Oath

He-He

I wonder if they ask me for the Governator and I get away with Ah-nold.
Have yet to find someone who can pronounce his name properly.

Still no Oath letter. Right now I am in Michigan (consulting work) and don't know when I will be home as we are on a very tight schedule here.

Is there any way to contact San Jose service center over the phone and check my status?

If I make infopass here in Michigan will they be able to tell me about my case?

:confused:

---------------------------------------------------------
04/17/07: FedExed
04/19/07: Received
04/19/07: Priority Date
04/20/07: Notice Date
05/10/07: FP Notice
06/14/07: FP Appt and Done
01/17/08: Interview
??/??/??: Oath

bkarth
You are in the same boat as I am. I haven't received oath letter yet. If I don't receive anything by this saturday, I'll make infopass appt.

keep me posted

bkarth
You are in the same boat as I am. I haven't received oath letter yet. If I don't receive anything by this saturday, I'll make infopass appt.

Thanks siliconhybrid ..I hope we get our letters soon and please do keep me in the loop if you happen to make an infopass.

Thanks,
bkarth

Has anyone around my timeline (please look at my sig) received their IL? Just curious.

Hi injunguy,

If you look at our spreadsheet below, you'll see that the latest people who got their IL have July PD.
So, just and relax and wait; you don't need to worry for a few months.

Hi injunguy,

If you look at our spreadsheet below, you'll see that the latest people who got their IL have July PD.
So, just and relax and wait; you don't need to worry for a few months.

Thanks ahsieh! I guess I'll just keep waiting :)

Thanks siliconhybrid ..I hope we get our letters soon and please do keep me in the loop if you happen to make an infopass.

Thanks,
bkarth

Per Ashieh's spreadsheet, there are other ppl who haven't received their oath letters. Well.. or at least they haven't updated the information.
Can anyone of you guys here update whether you have received March oath?

bkarth
Raj
PasadenaDude
siliconhybrid
PAtoSF
sept2001
VIETQDOAN
Curious Gir
montage9
neon_lite
gv27347
Amicus

as for me, I just scheduled infopass ofor Monday morning 3 Feb.
anything I should ask other than asking about my oath date?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning to schedule an INFOPASS later next month. If you can ask when the next oath ceremony is that would be useful. (We know there is one on 04/24/08 at Campbell, but is there another one before that at Monterrey Hwy USCIS office?) Another useful question would be what dates are being processed for oath?

Also, do we need to schedule a separate INFOPASS for self and spouse?

IL Received

Other Details in my signature. Looks like they are very predictable. IL's usually arrive in batches in the middle or end of the month

Looks like I must have missed the boat for the end of the month :) My priority date is 7/24/2007. Any one else with the mid to late July PD who have received their IL in the past 2 to 3 weeks?

Thanks,
Arun

My timeline

I just finished my interview today. Thanks for all the information here and immihelp. You folks are very helpful. Updating with my timeline:

06/04/2007 : N-400 sent through express mail
06/05/2007 : Received date and priority date
06/21/2007 : Notice date
08/07/2007 : FP notice received (around that date)
08/24/2007 : FP date
08/11/2007 : Actual FP done (at Oakland)
12/31/2007 : Interview letter received (around that date)
02/29/2008 : Interview done
??????????? : Oath (expecting March 21st. Well..may be not)

I can't think of much peculiarities in my case. may be few minor ones.

- Got married to Indian citizen after applying for N-400
- Made a 5 month long trip to India (was working from there to US employer) in between FP and interview.
- Changed jobs few days before interview
- Sent AR-11 few days before applying for N-400. Never notified USCIS of address changes before even though I changed 7 in last 5 years.
- First I-797c had wrong address (more like typo). Took infopass and corrected it.
- Had an attorney to represent me.
- Didn't have to apply for SSS since I got my GC after 26. Still got the letter from them saying I didn't need to apply. Nobody cared about it anyway.

Hopefullt that's useful to people who are in same boat as I was. I will try to update editgrid spreadsheet also.

Thanks again

On the topic of SSS...

I just got my interview letter and one of the requirements is to get the SSS.
I also got my GC after I was 26yrs old.

What, if anything, do I need to do to satisfy this requirement

Thanks