San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Completed my oath today @10:00 AM in Cambell. Nothing new, everything was as described by others. They should have eliminated the section where the give voting registration instruction in 5 different languages. The journey is over finally, waiting for my Wife's oath letter.

Next steps:
Legal Name changes
N-600 for our son
apply for passports.

Neti, can you please inform me little bit about this legal name change? Does this mean you have changed the name during N400 process, after you get the certificate you need to go through the court again?

Thanks

Neti, can you please inform me little bit about this legal name change? Does this mean you have changed the name during N400 process, after you get the certificate you need to go through the court again?

Thanks

Congratulation on your citizenship !!

My last name was incorrect in Indian passport, GC and all documents and I had applied for name change during citizenship (N400 application). But the Interview Officer mentioned that name change will delay my oath and they do not do the name change process like they used to do earlier. So I have to apply for official name change thru the court. I am currently filling out all the forms needed. Will apply for passport after the name change.

Completed my oath today @10:00 AM in Cambell. Nothing new, everything was as described by others. They should have eliminated the section where the give voting registration instruction in 5 different languages. The journey is over finally, waiting for my Wife's oath letter.

Hey congratulations!
I have also completed my oath today at 3:00pm same place.
It took less than 2 hours.
One thing to note is that they don't take passport application there anymore; we need to go to the post office or other passport locations instead.

Oath and passport done

Congratulations to punk, ahsieh, and others on becoming citizens.

I too became a citizen today at the 10 AM ceremony. I applied for my passport at the SFO agency a little after 12:30 PM, received the passport at 3:30 PM, and applied for my Indian visa before 4 PM. (I am traveling soon.) After all this, I was back home in San Jose before 5:30 PM.:D

Thanks to all in this forum for their input, and good luck to those pending oath.

Thanks guys, and congratulations to all of you too. What is the sequence of actions after this ?

1. Update SSN
2. Apply passport

or the sequence really does not matter.

NetiNeti, Thanks a lot for your reply, my wife chenged her last name and she is still waiting for oath, so I just wanted to know.

Got citizenship today

Completed my oath today @3:00 PM in Campbell. Over 450 people got citizenship today! It was a wonderful experience.

Goodluck to you all.

Congratulations to everyone who finished their oaths today and last week.

Can I request you to post your passport application tracking info to this thread? IT will help to know if it is really worth paying for the expedited service.

Oath completed ,Steps to get the passport.

Hi guys
I too have completed the oath today 02/21/08 at the campbell community center. Around 450 ppl were administered oath. Great experience. I keep hearing that passport was applied at SFO agency etc or post office. How to go about doing that.

I came to know that we can get that either from a passport agency or post office. Which one is better????

Some one mentioned that they got the passport on the same day(same day processing). However when I called the post office
they said it would take atleast 4 to 6 weeks. So which centers do the same day processing and which is better????

Do we need new photographs for the passport or the same photographs will be used????

Also do we need to update the SSN,why and how?????

Please post a clear set of instructions answering the above questions.

Thanks in advance.
Lucky.

Some one mentioned that they got the passport on the same day(same day processing). However when I called the post office
they said it would take atleast 4 to 6 weeks. So which centers do the same day processing and which is better????

Also do we need to update the SSN,why and how?????

Passport: The estimated time to obtain a passport by mail is 4-6 weeks. You can expedite the process for a higher fee and get the passport in 2-3 weeks. In both cases, you can apply at a US Post Office.

If you have imminent or emergency travel, you can appear in person at a passport agency (there is one at SFO) and get a passport within three days: sometimes on the same day, if you are at the agency early enough in the day. An appointment is recommended (though they allow walk ins). You need proof of confirmed tickets and visa needs to use this service. The fee for this service is the same as the expedited service by mail. You can learn more at the State Department's web site for passports.

FYI, I got my passport the same day as my oath in person at the SFO agency.

BTW, the passport application form has changed. The online form I used on the state department's web site is old and I needed to complete the form again at the agency. I would expect the post office to now be handing out (and insisting on using) the new forms.

SSN: You can update your information at any SSA office. You might need to complete the form SS5 and take with you a proof of citizenship (the naturalization certification will do), a picture ID, and your current SS card. Some people have reported that completing the form SS5 is not necessary, but I suggest completing one before you go to the SSA. That form is available on the SSA web site.

FYI, I updated my information with the SSA this morning. I waited about a half hour to be called to the window, but the actual work took only about five minutes.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks smurthy for you response. Another question I had was why should we take another pair of photographs.

In case the ones you submitted didn't meet standards or they got lost. If they don't need the pictures you can use them for your passport, that's what I did.

Just Recieved my Wife's oath letter, scheduled 20th March @ Campbell (1:00 PM).
What a relief.

:)

congratulations punk! that's great news...

Getting the oath letter seems to be the most random of the three (FP, Interview and Oath); FP and interview are FIFO.

BTW, ahsieh's tracker seems to be messed up; some of the columns are in reverse chronological order and the rows don't seem to correspond to the individual data.

Can someone pl. restore it?

congratulations punk! that's great news...

Getting the oath letter seems to be the most random of the three (FP, Interview and Oath); FP and interview are FIFO.

BTW, ahsieh's tracker seems to be messed up; some of the columns are in reverse chronological order and the rows don't seem to correspond to the individual data.

Can someone pl. restore it?

Done.

BTW, I went to USPS today for passport.
I went to the one on Mary at Sunnyvale.
There are millions people there (actually about 20 but line ended at the other end of the room).
Since the length of line looked horrible, I switched to the one at Mountain View.
About half as many people there, so I decided to stay in the line.
Got there at 2:00pm and left at 3:15pm.
If you are not in a hurry to get a passport, I suggest you wait a few days after oath.
Also, you need to bring your checks; I needed to write a check for Dept. of State, I could only use my credit card for the $25 execution fee paid to USPS.
I opted for the regular processing and the lady said it would take 4 to 6 weeks. We'll see.

Somebody mentioned a new form for passport application.
But I used the wizard on the official web site to create the pdf a few days ago, and the lady there accepted my form without any problems. Not sure if they have already updated their web site.

Received Oath Letter

My wife received her Oath Letter today for March 20 at 3 pm at Campbell. Notice Date is Feb 21, two days later than the ND for punk's wife - so looks like the USCIS is sending the letters out staggered this time.

Received Oath letter in mail on 02/22/08 for March 20th 10AM @ Campbell. Interview date was 01/09/08. Good luck to those who are waiting for the elusive letter.

applying passort

I am still waiting for my Oath letter, I hope they put me in the March batch :(

I have a question, Once I get my Oath I want to move permanently to NJ and Can I apply for my passport in NYC area? Once I have my citizenship cert I can apply for passport anywhere right? There is no restriction like N-400 one should have lived certain amount of days etc correct?

Let me know.

Thanks,
bkarth

04/17/07: FedExed
04/19/07: Received
04/19/07: Priority Date
04/20/07: Notice Date
05/10/07: FP Notice
06/14/07: FP Appt and Done
01/17/08: Interview
??/??/??: Oath

Last edited by a moderator: