San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I went ahead and scheduled the Infopass for this Friday morning. I'm reasonably sure that things have gotten messed up with the change in residence. Anyway, I guess we'll find out pretty soon.

Thanks again!

I had my&wife's interview scheduled on 26th Feb, 9:30am at San jose. Can I take my 4 yr old with us?? Did anybody took their kids???
thanks

There was a kid area where I saw some kids playing with toys. So I believe you can take your kids with you. I don't think they can go in the interview room though.

Ok, I had my 2 minutes infopass today and I'm apparently scheduled for March 20th Oath ceremony. I guess I'll never understand USCIS. People interviewed after me got Feb oath. Those who aren't following my story, I was interviewed on 01/09 and as per IO today, March 20th oath letters went out yesterday. I'll post if I receive Oath letter, else I'll just enjoy my life as a Permanent Resident until March 1st and then schedule another Infopass:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I had my 2 minutes infopass today and I'm apparently scheduled for March 20th Oath ceremony. I guess I'll never understand USCIS. People interviewed after me got Feb oath. Those who aren't following my story, I was interviewed on 01/09 and as per IO today, March 20th oath letters went out yesterday. I'll post if I receive Oath letter, else I'll just enjoy my life as a Permanent Resident until March 1st and then schedule another Infopass:)

March 20th oath letters went out yesterday? Wow...
Now I am rather skeptical I will make this March oath. My interview was 2 days ago.

thanks for the info

Congratulations! That sounds fabolous! :) Don't take it too hard. A few applications get stuck a few weeks in supervisor review, perhaps that's what happens to yours and what made it delay your ceremony for a few weeks. All in all the important thing at the end is going to get the oath letter in the mail. I am sure once you get it you'll forget about the weeks delay.

Good luck.

March 20th oath letters went out yesterday? Wow...
Now I am rather skeptical I will make this March oath. My interview was 2 days ago.

The March 20th oath assignments may have been completed, but I doubt the letters have been mailed out to applicants. I guess it will be more like Feb 18-29 when applicants receive oath letters. Of course, it is possible they will go out much sooner, but not very probable. I will be happy if the letters have been mailed, but we shouldn't ignore trends.

Fabolos, I trust you heard the IO correctly, but it is possible the IO didn't say the correct thing. In terms of your oath being delayed, I agree with Huracan. FYI, I received my oath letter 3.5 months after my interview (almost 18 weeks between interview date and oath date). I really hope yours does not take that long.

Just to share a few things I have learned during my wait: Contact a US Senator if USCIS does not respond after about 40 days from the interview. The Senator's office usually takes 10-15 days to call USCIS, and USCIS usually takes 2-3 weeks before responding (at the speed of government :rolleyes:). This step might not produce immediate results, but it compels USCIS to take notice.

If USCIS has not responded 90 days after the interview, and if the current date is more than 30 days after the normal processing time, you can file a service request with the national customer service. (Nothing stops one from trying to file a request sooner.) A service request forces USCIS to respond within 45 days of the request. An InfoPass is called for, in the unlikely event USCIS does not respond in time.

A USCIS response to service request will say that the oath has been scheduled and will give the oath date, if oath has been scheduled. This way you might learn of your oath date ahead of time, even if oath letters haven't been sent out. I learned of my Feb. 21st oath date on Jan. 11th (about 14 days before the oath letter arrived) in this manner.

Most importantly, I have learned that patience is the key ingredient in this process. I know it is easier to counsel patience than to show it, but as Huracan says, the whole thing comes to pass, after you hear something (anything). Of course, the best remedy is to not have to wait long, but USCIS sometimes forgets to dispense this remedy :(.

typo on n-400 application

I was getting documents for interview that's coming up in 6 weeks and found typo on my application. I missed a letter on the name I previously used and mistaken my spouse's birthday with the filing date. I understand the application is going to be reviewed at the time of interview. The question is: is this going to create more trouble and result in more wait time?

I was getting documents for interview that's coming up in 6 weeks and found typo on my application. I missed a letter on the name I previously used and mistaken my spouse's birthday with the filing date. I understand the application is going to be reviewed at the time of interview. The question is: is this going to create more trouble and result in more wait time?

The mis-BD info probably won't create any trouble, but the name error... that may delay the process, remember there is Background/Name checks which points to the name (and other info) of the applicants. Your process might get stuck there. This is just my pure speculation.

I hope that's not the case with you. If I were you I would schedule infopass and get some advise from the IO, they may be able to tell you whether there's going to be a problem or not.

The mis-BD info probably won't create any trouble, but the name error... that may delay the process, remember there is Background/Name checks which points to the name

Is it true that interview letters are issued only if the Name and other checks are complete?

This is my take on the situation:
You'll need to fix these issues during the interview. The birthday should be an obvious mistake and they most likely have spotted it and fixed it with their previous information. The typo in the name could trigger a new name check and this could delay a few weeks or more, it's impossible to say. Please share with us in the future when you find the answer to your own question.

Good luck.

The March 20th oath assignments may have been completed, but I doubt the letters have been mailed out to applicants. I guess it will be more like Feb 18-29 when applicants receive oath letters. Of course, it is possible they will go out much sooner, but not very probable. I will be happy if the letters have been mailed, but we shouldn't ignore trends...

Thanks for your detailed message. I can understand how you must have felt waiting for 3.5 months for something like Oath. In other DOs the entire citizenship process takes less than that. Anyway, I think I head IO correctly when he said the letters went out "yesterday" i.e. 01/31. However, you can't rule human error out, either on my part or IO's part. Given that IO has told me my Oath date already (March 20th), I have decided to take it easy in the month of February and schedule another Infopass in March if I don't receive Oath letter by then. Besides, I don't have any travel plans at this time so I'm not terribly worried about this.

Is it true that interview letters are issued only if the Name and other checks are complete?

first off, I didn't read the situation carefully, I thought s(he) put the wrong date for the spouse, but actually s(he) put the spouse birthdate for the applicant. This may impact the bg/name checks.

as I recall, I am not 100% sure, there are some cases in this forum, in which the applicants had interviews, but waiting for months for oath because the process got stuck in the bg/name check.

here is a flowchart for N400 process (thanks to whoever created it)
it says, "...interview could be done without completing the FBI clearance"

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6476/n400flowchartko4.jpg

Nice flowchart, really detailed thanks. The reason I said above is:: some people have taken infopass to ask reason for delay in Interview Schedule, and answer of IO was application is stuck in name check. So I assumed unless name check is complete interview letter is not issued.

This is my take on the situation:
You'll need to fix these issues during the interview. The birthday should be an obvious mistake and they most likely have spotted it and fixed it with their previous information. The typo in the name could trigger a new name check and this could delay a few weeks or more, it's impossible to say. Please share with us in the future when you find the answer to your own question.

Good luck.

I will for sure to share this with everyone once the interview is completed. The name was missing one letter. I have double Rs in my name and missed one R on the application. The other names used prior to marriage are similar expect with my maiden name and my first name now used to be my middle name. I suppose this is a mistake that they would catch and should not create more confusion. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Getting an infopass is certainly a great idea and i will look into that today. As for my spouse's birthday. I put down the date that we filed the application instead of his birthday. There is no mass up on his birthday and mine. Simply did not read the application through and thought they were asking the date we filed the application.

Thank you

Info pass for typo on N-400 application

I will for sure to share this with everyone once the interview is completed. The name was missing one letter. I have double Rs in my name and missed one R on the application. The other names used prior to marriage are similar expect with my maiden name and my first name now used to be my middle name. I suppose this is a mistake that they would catch and should not create more confusion. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Getting an infopass is certainly a great idea and i will look into that today. As for my spouse's birthday. I put down the date that we filed the application instead of his birthday. There is no mass up on his birthday and mine. Simply did not read the application through and thought they were asking the date we filed the application.

Thank you

Went in for an infopass and found out that there really isn't anything i can do till interview date. However, the clerk said that it is an obverse typo and he would be surprised that someone didn't catch it during the process. the files have been forward to the Interview Officers and it is now in their hand. He also suggested to let the IO know as soon as I swear in at the time of interview.

Citizenship Refreshing Course

Anyone being into one of the classes offered by local adult education?

I sat in one class this past Monday and found it to be TOO easy. most of the people in the class seem to have hard time either understand or speaking English. I am not sure what is the best way to prepare for the interview Civil Questions. In this class, they used a stack of flash cards and asked questions base on that. I think i got most questions right expect the name of Chief of Justice (John G. Robert) and Chief of Local Govement (I assume is the Mayor of San Jose?) whom i have no idea.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Went in for an infopass and found out that there really isn't anything i can do till interview date. However, the clerk said that it is an obverse typo and he would be surprised that someone didn't catch it during the process. the files have been forward to the Interview Officers and it is now in their hand. He also suggested to let the IO know as soon as I swear in at the time of interview.

If I'm not mistaken, for the sake of namecheck they try variations of your name and not just what you type in. In your case, this is an obvious typo. So, just take it easy and mention to interviewing officer at the time of interview. You should be fine.