San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Just passed my interview a couple of hours back. Interview was smooth.
Was very friendly.Asked officer about probable Oath date, she said she could not say, but said that there will not be oath ceremonies in December, so either it will be November or January. Also asked her if I could get my kids along, next monday for my wife's interview, and she said it was OK. There is a small play area in the waiting room.
Thanks for all the people who have posted here.

Srinivasa

Congratulations :) and good luck with your oath letter. I would think you should have a pretty good chance to make it into November's ceremony.

Thanks Hurracan, I really hope that will be true.

Thanks Ahsieh, i dont mind putting my data in the tracking spreadsheet.

FP Done

Received FP notice for my N400 application :)

Did the FP today in San Jose. Quite smooth process. Out in 15 minutes.
My fingerprint score displayed on the screen as the agent was taking my fingerprints was around 65. Is that a good score? What is the typical score?

What's the next step now? Wait for interview, I presume. Where can I check the result of fingerprint checks?

I have updated the editgrid tracker already.

Hi Hurracan and others,

Can anyone let me know the process of returning the Indian passports or point me to a thread, in which the post citizenship steps are discussed.

Thanks

Can anyone let me know the process of returning the Indian passports or point me to a thread, in which the post citizenship steps are discussed.

It is interesting that the Indian consulate's web site no longer says anything about returning Indian passports. From my memory, the procedure is quite simple: You send the consulate your Indian passport with a letter that you have taken up another citizenship. There are no forms to complete. However, you must include a return envelope if you like your canceled passports back.

Question Gallimaufry

I have a few questions based on earlier posts:

As advised by others in this forum, I did buy the folder to store the Naturalization certificate for 10 bucks

Where might one buy these folders?

Also, I remember reading in this forum a recommendation on the kind of ink and pen to use to sign the naturalization certificate. I searched the forum again for that information, but couldn't find it. I appreciate suggestions on this topic.

Yesterday spent whole day arranging documents for my wife and finally sending her I-130 and I-485 application

I notice that I-131 asks for a travel itinerary and some support for the stated travel. Does anyone know if this information is really needed to apply for an I-131? That is, has anyone applied for an I-131 without providing a travel itinerary? I like to learn from others so the $305 (or so) in fees isn't wasted.

About your first question.

I would guess you got the ink thing from here, or a rehash from here:

http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

The folders are sold right there at the oath ceremony (outside the theater). There are two or three fellows selling them. I bought them, but I think they are a bit cheesy. Anyway, I would guess any hard folder would do.

Thanks for the link. That is probably where I read about the ink. (Wow! that rhymes.)

My question about I-131 is still open. Perhaps Omorpheus has some insight?

With the new filing procedure, you can file I-131 and I-765 (EAD) forms along with I-485 without any fee. The fee is included in $1010 fee for I-485.

Yes, you need to give a tentative itinerary. No proof is required. Its just what you plan ... It may change due to circumstances. To be safe just put 4 months from now as its taking 3 months to get AP (Advance Parole) and 2 weeks for lag time for postal service .... No one will ask you for itinerary, just the country where you want to go and reason for your travel. You can put "To see family" or some personal reasons or if you have some work there, state it. Put all these reasons in a separate piece of paper with petitioner's A# and name and ask petitioner to sign it. You should be good to go.

Good luck

About your first question.

I would guess you got the ink thing from here, or a rehash from here:

http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

After reading the link, I have questions about the signature thing.
It said we HAVE to sign with our names exactly as it appears on the certificate even though we normally sign with a shortened name.
Well, I usually just sign my with my last name, so I guess I have to be careful when signing my certificate in the future.
That's OK, but the paragraph also mentions that

If you previously signed the photograph that is mounted to your Certificate of Naturalization, then sign your certificate using the exact same signature you used to sign your photograph, even if that signature does not match the full name shown on your certificate.

I am wondering what is the "photograph that is mounted to your Certificate of Naturalization"?
Do they put a photo on the certificate?
When do they sign that photo?
This must not be the photos we sent them for application, right?

I am wondering what is the "photograph that is mounted to your Certificate of Naturalization"?
Do they put a photo on the certificate?
When do they sign that photo?
This must not be the photos we sent them for application, right?

Yes, there is a picture on the certificate. Its you who signed that picture during your interview. Its the same picture you sent them with the application.

Got the IL today in the mail

Hi All,
I got my IL in the mail today.
The Interview date is December 4th

Cheers

Mumbaicar

FYI - I am getting the case status retrieval failed message

Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:
Case Status Retrieval Failed
The status for this Receipt Number is incomplete at this time in this automated system and can not be displayed. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center.