San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

My wife completed her interview successfully on 6/19. Officer asked her 10 questions and she got all of them right.

Two of the dates were wrong on the application. We knew about one wrong date and she had carried updated sheet with correct date. Officer took that one. He checked her passport and told her that about second wrong date which was not clearly stamped on the passport. He corrected that on application form.

Officer asked her to read & write english. That's pretty much it.

He refused to tell about oath date, if she can make into July oath date.

Any idea will she make it into July 18 oath ceremony?

My wife completed interview on June 20th and she got the Oath letter this Monday for July 18th. The office was good and even the officer told her she will be in July 18th oath ceremony. The letter does not mention about Guests allowed, does anyone know guests allowed? pictures allowed?

Just had my interview today.

It was a pleasant experience. The gentleman that interviewed me was really friendly. We went over my application (name, address, if I'm married...). Then I was asked to write a simple sentence on my application and a few questions taken out of the list were ask.

At the end he said that I was approved and that I woudl get a letter for my Oath for July or August. He said that July might already be full.

Hi Roger and the new guy ;) Congrats on your milestones.

Guests are allowed as far as I know, and I don't know about pictures, but I think they should be ok. Bushmaster had a bunch of pictures from his ceremony, wherever it was. I think pictures at some time or another should be fine. However, I hope that someone who's done it can contribute to this point.

I'm thinking of going for a walk-in FP in San Jose. Can anyone shed a light on this:
- What is the least busy day and time of day for FP?
- What will be the acceptable excuse for a walk-in if the security guard asks?
- any hints, tricks, insights for a successfull walk-in FP?

THANKS

05/02/2007 : CSC received N-400
05/10/2007 : Check Cashed
05/01/2007 : Priority Date
05/21/2007 : Notice Date (received in the mail 05/24/07)
06/18/2007 : FP Notice Date (received in the mail: 06/21/07)

07/13/2007 : FP Appointment
??/??/???? : Interview Date
??/??/???? : Oath

1. I don't know, I would try a Saturday. I believe they open on Saturdays ;)
2. In my case nobody asked anything (both during GC and N-400 fingerprints). I would say you're planning a vacation trip around the time of your appointment.
3. I think it is usually so smooth that there are not any "tricks" involved. I would only suggest that if they are busy or giving you any trouble to ask politely if there is a better time for you to come back that day or the next day.

My 2 cents.

Thanks Huracan. So I gave it a shot, I did the walk-in FP today (Thursday 3pm)
I went to the FP office, the place was very quiet, there was only 1 other person getting the FP. The security guard asked me why I came early, I said I will be very busy at work at the scheduled time (true!). He let me go to the receptionist, who asked the same thing, and I answered the same thing. He went inside to ask someone about it, came out, stamped my FP notice letter, gave me a civic question booklet, and asked me to fill out 1 page form. The lady who took my FP gave me a lotion or somesort to rub on both sides of my hands. Everything was done in like 10 mins.

So here comes the ever lasting wait between FP and Interview Letter time.

Is there anything I should do in the meantime.. like...maybe check the status or something? or will I get any FP acceptance/rejection letter? I also keep hearing about scheduling infopass... I don't understand what that is for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked at the San Francisco timeline. I am so envious, it takes ~3months from application sent to Interview. Wow... had I known this before, I might've just moved to SF area.

Can you tell me what was there in the "Civic question booklet". Are we suppose to write the civic test at the time of FP ?

Please explain your experience.

Thanks Huracan. So I gave it a shot, I did the walk-in FP today (Thursday 3pm)
I went to the FP office, the place was very quiet, there was only 1 other person getting the FP. The security guard asked me why I came early, I said I will be very busy at work at the scheduled time (true!). He let me go to the receptionist, who asked the same thing, and I answered the same thing. He went inside to ask someone about it, came out, stamped my FP notice letter, gave me a civic question booklet, and asked me to fill out 1 page form. The lady who took my FP gave me a lotion or somesort to rub on both sides of my hands. Everything was done in like 10 mins.

Is there anything I should do in the meantime.. like...maybe check the status or something? or will I get any FP acceptance/rejection letter? I also keep hearing about scheduling infopass... I don't understand what that is for.

Thanks Huracan. So I gave it a shot, I did the walk-in FP today.

Congrats on the walk-in FP; good to know it is possible.

FP is typically cleared the same day by FBI, but you can call them in a couple of days and confirm. There is a West Virginia no. (area code 304) for FBI that you can call; you can search and find it on this forum.

I don't how long it takes USCIS to get this info; but a week to a month is a safe bet. So, you can call up USCIS to confirm that they got the FP clearance from FBI.

I've seen cases in Oakland being scheduled for interview within 10 days of FP (these were cases in Mar'07). So, I'd assume name checks are cleared very fast as well. But, since this is San Jose, you should probably wait. I'd say wait for at least 3 months from FP and check with USCIS if your case has cleared named check and is waiting in the interview queue.

If the slippage in FP carries over to IV, my estimate is May applicants should be receiving interview letters in Nov/Dec timeframe. Watch out for IV letters for Mar'07 applicants; they were the first to experience FP delay. If they experience IV delay, May applicants will feel the pinch as well.

This might be of use to you if you are planning vacations, international trips, address change, job change, marriage, etc. Otherwise, just take it easy ... :)

Can you tell me what was there in the "Civic question booklet". Are we suppose to write the civic test at the time of FP ?

Please explain your experience.

No, you keep the booklet for studying for test at time of interview. It contains:
- a cover letter from Director of USCIS Dr. Emilio Gonzales
- 96 Civic questions and answers with explanation
- glossary
- Audio CD titled "Learn About the United States: Quick Civics Lessons". I haven't listened to it, but I am guessing it's the same thing as the booklet but in Audio format.

Congratulations on successfully doing a FP walk-in :)
There is not much that's going to change from now to interview letter. There are no FP completed letters or anything like that. It is my humble opinion that it is better for sanity and save time to just wait until you see people getting interview letters around your priority date. If you see you're not getting your letter when the priority date has been past your date a couple of interview letter batches then I would do an Infopass. Anyway, for many this is easier said than done. Being proactive with USCIS doesn't buy you much, you only get to know things a bit earlier, but have very little influence in speeding things up. So, I would just be patient for now.

For some people (including me) when the interview letter is being mailed, the online case status changes to the case cannot be found. Beware that in many other cases the status online doesn't change throughout the process.

My 2 cents.

I read from another posting that the number to check on the FP status is (304) 625-2000. I have not checked my FP status myself, so this is just hearsay...

Interview completed

Successfully completed my interview today.

I was asked to,

cursively write my name on two of my photos
read & write an english sentence
answer some of question from my N400 application
10 question from US history (they were from 96 question on booklet)
I got all the 10 right and she said congratulation and you passed the interview.
She gave a letter that said I passed the interview.
Asked me to sign N400

she only looked at my green card & did not ask for any other document.

I asked her if I can make it into July 18 oath date. She said this is handled by another officer and she don't have this information.

Also today My wife received her oath letter. It says Oath date is 18 July at 1PM.

Timeline of our N400 applications at San Jose on Jan 12th

Hi, Guys and Gals,

This is such a great forum, I promise myself to post our timeline once I have any firm update. After several months' waiting, today I did an infopass, here is the information I got and our timeline:

Me:
Priority Date: Jan 12th
Finger Print Date: Feb 6th ( walk-in, sheduled to be Feb 15)
Inforpass today June 29: infamous FBI name check pending :(

My wife:
Priority Date: Jan 12th
Finger Print Date: Feb 6th ( walk-in, sheduled to be Feb 15)
Interview Letter Receiving Date: June 29th (Her case disappeared on line on June 28)
Interview Date: Aug 21

Hope this helps, and of course my only wish right now is that my name check can be cleared soon, since this is not in my control... All I can do right now is wait, wait, and wait...:(

BigHamster

I received my interview letter today. I posted my details in SF tracking thread by mistake a while ago, so reposting here.

Looks like things are moving again at SJ. Good luck to everyone waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats All. Another member on this board was kind enough to let me know that application for citizenship can be submitted 90 days prior to 5 yr anniversary.

Did some of you do that? My real question is whether USCIS holds on to the app till your 5 yr anniversary date and then processes the application or do they take care of it as soon as they receive the application form.

Help much appreciated

You are eligible to apply 3 months prior to completing 5 years.
I was lazy/careless enough not to use that opportunity. I applied 3 weeks before completing 5 years. Since my priority date happens to be sooner than my 5 year completion date, I can only surmise that they will process the application as soon as they receive it as long as it is no sooner than 3months prior to 5 years.

Congrats All. Another member on this board was kind enough to let me know that application for citizenship can be submitted 90 days prior to 5 yr anniversary.

Did some of you do that? My real question is whether USCIS holds on to the app till your 5 yr anniversary date and then processes the application or do they take care of it as soon as they receive the application form.

Help much appreciated