San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Two weeks after being told that app is pending because of name check, its been cleared :)
Looks like new batch of Interview letters are being mailed. Good luck to all those waiting.
The interview letter says that we need to bring the discharge certificate or form DD214. What is this ?

N400 Time line
SJ D.O
Husband
Priority Date 11/9/06
FP Date 12/12/06 same as appt
Interview 6/26/07
Oath ??

Mine
Priority Date 12/15/06
FP Date 01/16/07 same as appt
Interview 8/8/07 - Mailed on 6/18/07
Oath ??

USCIS considers you to be a military veteran.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/dd-214.html

Thats so wierd. We were never in the military and nothing in the n400 that we filled out could be interpreted that way !
Anyone else with a similar req of document ?
Thanks

Thanks for the update, good luck with the oath letter. Anything you would like to share about your interview experience?

officer asked if i traveled after applying? I said yes, she took my passport and made a note of the dates.

made me sign my photos.

she made me write one line in English.

asked me 10 questions from the 96 and I was on my way out.

I had to show my greencard.

thats it.

July oath?

Hi,
Are people still getting Oath date for July 18th? I have my interview on July 5th and wondering if I am going to get Oath in July or in August.

I am scheduled to go out of the country on 21st July, so anybody thinks if providing that information is going to help at all?

Thanks

Thats so wierd. We were never in the military and nothing in the n400 that we filled out could be interpreted that way !
Anyone else with a similar req of document ?
Thanks

Probably some contractor at USCIS goofed up.

1. If you've a photocopy of your N400, VERIFY that you indeed did not claim to be a veteran. If by mistake you claimed to be one, seek legal opinion.

2. check how easy it is to get a statement from VA indicating that you were not a military personnel and get it if possible.

3. You could also do an INFOPASS and ask them what to do. Most probably, the IO will anyway have your original N400 and waive it at the time of interview.

Finally... don't ever salute anyone, (until after the interview) :)

No I am still waiting. Hopefully I will get it for the July date. When I asked IO before about 2 dates in June, he said its incorrect . So someone lied about having 2nd date in this month. The only difference I see between my case and people who already got oath this month is though my interview date is earlier than their's , my PD is much much later than their PD date. Probably the oath date goes in the order of our PD/ND dates.

Completed my oath this morning, June 22nd, at Monterrey Road office. 67 people were at the oath ceremony representing 15 countries. Went over to the SF Passport Agency to apply for my passport since I am travelling in 2 weeks. I could not get an appointment and so did a walk in. The wait at the agency was more than 3 hrs. It makes no difference if you had an appointment or do not have one. I should be receiving my passport next week.

Got oath letter - Are guests allowed at oath ceremony?

Got oath letter for July 18th!

Are guests (adults and kids) allowed for oath ceremony?

Oath letter does not mention anything about guests.

Mailed App: Oct 14th 2006
FP: November 17th 2006
Received IL: Apr 5th 2007
Interview: June 5th 2007
Oath: July 18th

Hurray OATH LETTER - After N652 'decision cannot be'

Dudes,

My timeline so far ...

RD 10/02/06
PD 10/02/06
FP 10/24/06
IV 05/22/07
ON 06/18/07
OD 07/18/07

I had reported earlier about the 'decision cannot be made' N652 issue with me, incidently i was feeling low yesterday and was browsing the forum for support 'i think' and read a few replies which matched my timeline etc.

I check the mail box later and there it was; so i guess the traffic ticket reporting issue [ticking yes to 16] was resolved pretty quickly and reporting tix stays moot - telling does no harm ...

My Oath letter has these five lines with four crosses in front of them is this pretty standard ?.

X - This letter, WITH ALL THE QUESTIONS ON PAGE 2 ANSWERED. TYPE OR PRINT ANSWERS IN BLACK IN.
X - Permanent Resident Card.
X - Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document.
X - Any immigration documents you may have.
X - If the naturalization application is on behalf of your child(children), bring your child(children).
.. - Other.

I am planning to take the GC and my passport, that is all i have - anything else ?.

Congratulations to the people getting interview letters/oath letters and oath ceremonies done this past week.
I think both the interview and oath letter have some generic language to cover more than a situation so I think it is safe to bring whatever documents apply to your case. I mean if they say to bring your refugee papers but you're not a refugee, then it doesn't apply to you. When they ask for any immigration document it means if you still have some old immigration document. I guess EAD, border crossing card, or anything like that. Again, if you don't have such documents don't worry.

For the other question, I believe guests are allowed and are ushered to a special place, separate from the people who are taking the oath. That's what I remember, but a search on this thread might help too.

My 2 cents.

People going for Interviews

Here is a list of things I made after going through tons of posts for past couple of days ... No I do not have free time ...

Hope you find it useful.

Docs Required:

1) Interview Letter
2) Green card
3) Drivers License
4) Selective Service Letter (if required)
5) 2 passport style photographs (though most likely will not ask for it)
6) Current and all expired passports since you entered US.
7) Tax transcripts or certified returns for the last 5 years (though most likely will not ask for it)
8) DMV record for traffic violation and traffic ticket completion proof (if marked Yes in violations).
9) Proof of payment for law enforcement citations, if any (though most likely will not ask for it)
10) Updated N-400 form or relevant pages if any information changed since the filing.
11) Marriage certificate if applied based on marriage to US citizen.

Purely Optional:

1) Date of Birth certificate
2) Lease document, Utility bills etc (Typically not asked)
3) Birth Certificate
4) SSN card
5) DMV driving history (last 5 yrs) ?????
6) Pay stubs and/or employment verification letter.
7) Copy of your I-140, or I-130, or I-360 (This sounds very weird).​

===========================================================================
Things to do/keep in mind:

• In the interview, typically 10 questions are asked. A pass is only 6 correct.
• Ask for the oath letter before you leave after the interview.
• Study the book given at the time of fingerprinting and memorize it.
• Learning objectives - US History 1600-1987 - http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/ushist.pdf
• Learning objectives - US Govt. Structure - http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/usstruct.pdf
• If your name has changed after marriage, carry a copy of your marriage certificate.
• Make sure you have listed all your travels outside US. The officer will have a list with him and will verify what you have put in the form against that.
• Make sure you have read the N-400 form a lot of times and understand what has been written in it. Be sure to know the contents of yours well.
• Carry an extra copy of the form with all the changes that have happened since you submitted the application. e.g. change of job, change of telephone number, additional travel outside US, etc.
• Stay cool and relax.
• No electronics allowed inside the building.
• Interview lasts 10-30 min. Some had to wait for about 30min to 1 hr.
• Keep it in mind that an appointment letter is just a generic/computerized letter in most cases. Also, clerks are the ones who send out the appointment letter and not the adjudication officers. And clerks always make mistakes as you may already know this. So, make sure to bring ALL the documents mentioned below even if you are not asked for it in your appointment letter.
• Remember to carry a pencil (to sign back of photographs), ink or ball pen.​

Tax Transcripts:
Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T. If you want photocopy, fill out form 4506T and mail it in. There is a charge of 39$ per year and can take up to 60days. If you just want regular transcript it is free and accepted by all govt. offices.
Call 1-800-829-1040 Option 2/2/Enter SSN/3/Street address for you current address/1/year e.g. 2006/ 1 to accept/1 again to confirm/Option 2 for another year/1 to accept/ 1 to confirm. You can ask up to 5 yrs.

Citations and Driving Records:

I called the courts as well, they don't have any records for me either. The lady says that they maintain them from 6 months after the case is closed. I would suggest that you should the DMV record of your DL. Ask for H6 printout, that gives you a history for the last 10 years. I am simply planning on taking that.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf1125.pdf

I would recommend calling that DMV by phone first. In My case, when I called and gave first-last name and birth date, they were able to pull the record. Then I downloaded a form from their website and asked for the driving record. (This was for NH state) Their record did not show if fine was paid or not but clerk said that if I had not paid it, they would say on the record that fine was not paid and a warrant has been issued. During interview, IO did not ask anything about it though it was mentioned in there. (This was a parking ticket not a moving violation)

As for tickets: they are citations, so you should list them as traffic violations. It's not a big deal as long as it didn't include a DUI. I listed them. My interviewing officer didn't ask any questions about them when I mentioned they were speeding tickets.

You can get a copy of your DMV record and hang on to it for the interview.
However, if you have gotten any law enforcement citations (including traffic violation tickets) or you traveled outside of the country between the interview and oath, take with you the appropriate document that indicates the exact nature of the violation and/or exact dates of travel. Additionally, if you have any other INS issued travel documents with you, take those as well.

It's better to read important information about Naturalization thru the following links-

http://www.800citizen.com/statesInfo.html
http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/
http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html
http://www.kamya.com/interview/

Good luck everyone !!!

Omorpheus, big thanks for your detailed and thorough post. I am still not sure about asking for tax transcripts, but you have made it so easy, down to the phone menu options, that I might change my mind ;)

Those are good details. Thanks omorpheus

Here is a list of things I made after going through tons of posts for past couple of days ... No I do not have free time ...

Hope you find it useful.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

QUOTE]

Not sure if I can collect all in one months time. but sure the details are much appreciated and hope it helps lot of them on this blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still haven't received my IL

I saw people with Dec or Jan priority date have already received the IL. I am a bit worry about my case now. Should I wait patiently for another week or two? or should I call up the INS?

When I checked on my case status online, it states "On January 5, 2007, we received this N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION, and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow any instructions on this notice. We will notify you by mail when we make a decision or if we need something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. We process cases in the order we receive them."

Does it mean my case has some problems?

My case timeline:
PD: Dec 29, 06
ND: Jan 17, 07
FD: Feb 7, 07, also done on Feb 7, 07

But not sure if I can collect all in one months time though but sure your help to put together the details is much appreciated and hope it helps lot of them on this blog.

I myself am not getting any DMV records as I don't have any violations in CA and had only 1 or 2 expired meters in PA around 4-5 years back (the total amount was less than $50). Since it was my friend who actually got the tickets, I didn't mention it and am not getting any proof for that.

Getting transcripts is a 5-min work, its free and you get it in 1-2 weeks, so no harm in that. I got for 4 years -- that should be sufficient. I could not get it for 2002.

I am thinking of taking my birth certificate, marriage certificate (even though my GC was employment based), SSN card, GC, Drivers License, Selective Service Letter, IL and copy of my passports.

I saw people with Dec or Jan priority date have already received the IL. I am a bit worry about my case now. Should I wait patiently for another week or two? or should I call up the INS?

When I checked on my case status online, it states "On January 5, 2007, we received this N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION, and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow any instructions on this notice. We will notify you by mail when we make a decision or if we need something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. We process cases in the order we receive them."

Does it mean my case has some problems?

My case timeline:
PD: Dec 29, 06
ND: Jan 17, 07
FD: Feb 7, 07, also done on Feb 7, 07

The website update is the least reliable ... You should better go and take and INFOPASS appointment and inquire if your NAME and BACKGROUND checks have been cleared and if the file has been moved to SJ DO or not.

Good luck.

Alright guys....done with IV today at San Jose. Very smooth affair. Got out in 15 minutes. The officer was pretty quick, asked me reconfirm like "will you bear arms to defend the country", do you have criminal background etc. and asked 10 questions and let me go.

She mentioned to me that my oath is going to be sometime in August.

Wife's interview completed

My wife completed her interview successfully on 6/19. Officer asked her 10 questions and she got all of them right.

Two of the dates were wrong on the application. We knew about one wrong date and she had carried updated sheet with correct date. Officer took that one. He checked her passport and told her that about second wrong date which was not clearly stamped on the passport. He corrected that on application form.

Officer asked her to read & write english. That's pretty much it.

He refused to tell about oath date, if she can make into July oath date.

Any idea will she make it into July 18 oath ceremony?

Congrats raj4jazz and rayg on the successful interviews. It's a pity that they don't show flexibility on the oath, specially now that the fees are going to increase and people can still submit some application before the fees go up. On the other hand I understand that ceremonies get full, and there is so many people they can acommodate.