San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

1/ Have you been un-employed since the Aug' 06?
Not in a regular job. I am working on a idea but i am not incorporated yet.

when i asked for the reason for the indecision - all the officer said was you clicked[said yes to] the wrong box on your arrest/citation question because of the traffic ticket thing and we need to get it verified and it will take us 2 months.

Am i being overly concerned ?. If there was anything else i would assume he would have asked/told me.

It could be either of the 2 items above. But if it was the traffic ticket issue, then check with them (thru infopass), if you can provide any documentation to identify those citations and speed up the process regarding the tickets.

Also, if you are planning to be out of the country between the interview and oath, then there might be some issues based on how long you are out. There was a thread in the citizenship forum (not this thread), about a person from the Detroit area, who was out of the country for 120days between interview and oath. When he went for the oath, he was not allowed and re-scheduled for an interview. I remember seeing this thread in the last few days. Hope this helps.

So you were not handed over the letter after the interview that says
you have passed and are recommended for approval?
What does it say on the letter you have received? I am sure they would give some explanation of the outcome of the interview in writing.

Passport question

Do we have to appointment for applying the passport? or its walk in at designated post offices?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Here is my timeline. Was very good till the above happened.

RD 10/02/06
PD 10/02/06
FP 10/24/06
IV 05/22/07

I had been extra cautious to click the check box for arrests/citations for my traffic tickets - the officer asked me if i had been drinking and driving etc etc - i said that there are two parking tickets and one citation for fused head lamp(was not sure of this one) and i have the evidence of payment - he made me correct the checkbox to a 'No' and sign next to it. Said he needs to get some checks done and it takes 2 months.

I think i should not have clicked the checkbox it is only needed if the offense is serious and penalty is more than 500 - dunno what is a sure way of knowing - telling every little thing looked like a better thing to do

Also i had resigned from my job couple of months before filing to be with my parents and to investigate doing something on my own. My dad underwent a heart bypass - dunno if that contributed to him delaying my app - from where i stand i want to be with my parents every oppurtunity i get - we only live once - he did not say anything about these issues.

Two questions :
1/ What could they be concerned about ?.
2/ I need to travel to be with family again. Is there any restrictions, while one is waiting for oath.

Your inputs are appriciated, requested and my only source for the moment.

Cheers!

This is so confusing. Is it a yes or a no for tickets less then $500 but no DUI or arrest in that box?

San Jose -Interview date of 15 Aug

Timeline

03-JAN-2007 - mailed n-400
08-JAN-2007 - priority Date
08-FEB-2007 - fingerprinting done
20-JUN-2007 - phone confirmation of interview letter - Interview date of 15-AUG

Similar Dates

Sam0,

How were you able to reach USCIS to know your IV date ? I have similar dates as you, but uanble to get hold of some one over phone to chat.

Sam0,

How were you able to reach USCIS to know your IV date ? I have similar dates as you, but uanble to get hold of some one over phone to chat.

DO = San Jose
Notice Receipt: 01/29/07 (PD 01/09)
FP Notice: 1/26/07
FP Appointment: 2/10/07
FP Done: 1/31/07 (walk-in)

Looks like January applicants were getting FP appointments within 30 days of PD.
Mid April applicants have got FP appointment dates about 70 days from PD.
Early May applicants have already been waiting for 50 days to receive FP letter.
June/July applicants will have to share FP appointment queue with I485 applicants (which , btw, are current for everyone).

What's going to happen at interview time, folks?

My case disappeared from the USCSI website. Upon calling the service operator - he told me he could not locate my case and this is normal. But I asked to be transferred to a supervisor who was able to confirm that Interview letter was mailed out on Jun 18.

Haven't received the letter in the mail yet ...

03-JAN-2007 - mailed n-400
08-JAN-2007 - priority Date
08-FEB-2007 - fingerprinting done
20-JUN-2007 - phone confirmation of interview letter - Interview date of 15-AUG

Last edited by a moderator:
Having been reading the thread regarding the traffic ticket. I did not check any yes box to the arrest/citation thing. I had one stop sign ticket (10 years ago) and one small accident in parking lot. Seems I'd better get driver license record from DMV. Is this a serious thing during the interview? For people who had accidents (at fault), they cannot get citizenship? How do I request my driver license record? Is this enough?

If the case disappears from the system it usually means that the interview letter has been sent. It's usually a good sign, no need to panic :)

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose
11/08/2006 : Priority Date (and Receive Date)
FP Done. Walk-In
06/21/2007 : Interview Done
Oath I was told 2 months

Thanks for the update, good luck with the oath letter. Anything you would like to share about your interview experience?

Finally I receive my FP notice today.
Here is my updated timeline.

Good luck to everyone.

05/02/2007 : CSC received N-400
05/10/2007 : Check Cashed
05/01/2007 : Priority Date
05/21/2007 : Notice Date (received in the mail 05/24/07)
06/18/2007 : FP Notice Date (received in the mail: 06/21/07)
07/13/2007 : FP Appointment

??/??/???? : Interview Date
??/??/???? : Oath

Oath Letter Received

I received my oath letter today. Here are my details:

PD: 10/24/2006
ND: 10/30/2006
FP Date: 11/24/2006
FP Done (Walkin): 11/17/2006
IL received on: 04/13/2007
Interview Date: 06/06/2007
Oath: 07/18/2007 (afternoon session)

Interesting Facts:

My wife who followed the exact dates has the morning (10am) session for the oath
on the same day.

My interview officer said that I'll receive the letter in about 2 weeks (it is exactly 2 weeks now) and that the oath will be on July 18th.

My wife's interview officer said she will receive the letter in 4-6 weeks and that the oath will be anytime between July and September.

PS: I was never able to track my Rcpt number online. From Day 1 the USCIS online tracker said that I was entering an invalid Rcpt number.

got the interview letter

Got interview letter for my wife

12/29/2006 - Mailed n-400
1/3/2007 - Receipt & Priority date
2/10/2007 - Fingerprint
8/13/2007 - Interview date

Finally I receive my FP notice today.
Here is my updated timeline.

Good luck to everyone.

Thanks for the update, siliconhybrid.

Looks like the FP delay for May applicants will be in the 75 day range. If this delay carries over to interviews and oaths, May applicants can expect to finish citizenship process by Mar/Apr'08.

It also looks like FP notices are being issued about 4 weeks before the appointment date, (for those with plans this summer).

Info Pass today...

Folks,

Had an info pass today. Was told, my background/name checks are completed & system has scheduled an IV for Aug - 16th. Should expect IV letter in next few days. Am happy about the good news.
While chatting with the lady behind the counter, checking on the Oath processes, she mentioned, usually every year starting July onwards, they see a rush of applications being approved during IV. In such cases there are 2 or even 3 oath ceremonies in a month. Don't know how much creditable this info is. Does any one have any experience, comments on this ?

My details, PD 1/9, FP 1/31 (walk-in), IV 8/16 (infopass).

I'm thinking about doing a Walk-in FP in San Jose.

- Do I just walk into the office and ask to be fingerprinted?
- What is the 'acceptable' answer if they ask why not wait for the scheduled date? My real reason is off course trying to get moving as soon as possible.
- When is the right time to do walk-in FP: time of the day, what day, how long from the notice date (my FP notice date is 6/18)

Are there anything I should know for walk-in FP?

Thanks

Folks,

While chatting with the lady behind the counter, checking on the Oath processes, she mentioned, usually every year starting July onwards, they see a rush of applications being approved during IV. In such cases there are 2 or even 3 oath ceremonies in a month. Don't know how much creditable this info is. Does any one have any experience, comments on this ?

My details, PD 1/9, FP 1/31 (walk-in), IV 8/16 (infopass).

That is quite possible during election years, when there is political pressure to speed up. During the Clinton administration, significant resources were allocated to citizenship processing to reduce backlogs. (I had heard that resources from service centers were re-directed for this; but this is pure hearsay.)

Congrats on your interview letter.

Name check cleared and Interview scheduled

Two weeks after being told that app is pending because of name check, its been cleared :)
Looks like new batch of Interview letters are being mailed. Good luck to all those waiting.
The interview letter says that we need to bring the discharge certificate or form DD214. What is this ?

N400 Time line
SJ D.O
Husband
Priority Date 11/9/06
FP Date 12/12/06 same as appt
Interview 6/26/07
Oath ??

Mine
Priority Date 12/15/06
FP Date 01/16/07 same as appt
Interview 8/8/07 - Mailed on 6/18/07
Oath ??