San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

no IL yet

both me and my wife had our FP on 9/21. my wife got her IL on 1/16 with a ID of 3/15 - no updates on my case yet :( ... i called the 800 number today and they said that my case in still in FBI check stage, and that i should call back after 30 days if have not recieved the IL by then. keeping my fingers crossed.

some dumb questions from a beginner:
I live in Fremont, so do I fall under San Jose ? I moved recently from east coast. Also how do people send in app forms USPS priority or Fedex ?
I plan to apply in June, so getting to prepare forms, photos etc slowly. ow long people study for civics lessons?

desihai said:
I live in Fremont, so do I fall under San Jose ? I moved recently from east coast. Also how do people send in app forms USPS priority or Fedex ?
I plan to apply in June, so getting to prepare forms, photos etc slowly. ow long people study for civics lessons?
I would imagine you would probably fall under Oakland DO. But I could be wrong.

Regarding, sending in your application, just send it in via regular USPS with delivery confirmation (not to confuse with Signature Required). No need to waste money on Priority Service because your package will be delivered to a PO Box anyways.

Regarding, how long people study for the Civics Test, it really depends on how much you know about this country that you are applying to become a citizen for. E.g., whatever questions I have seen so far (the list of 96), I knew all of them and was able to answer them without any preparation.

n400aug06 said:
both me and my wife had our FP on 9/21. my wife got her IL on 1/16 with a ID of 3/15 - no updates on my case yet :( ... i called the 800 number today and they said that my case in still in FBI check stage, and that i should call back after 30 days if have not recieved the IL by then. keeping my fingers crossed.
That basically means your application has not cleared name check. Yeah, you need to keep your fingers crossed because name check could take you for a ride.

But keep calling the Service Center on a monthly basis. I would also recommend taking Infopass appointment. I have heard of cases wherein the applicant was told that his name check was still pending while in reality that was not at all the case. If you are lucky, you may end up getting a helpful Immigration Officer at Infopass who may give you the facts.

desihai said:

One way you can see which district office you'll fall under is to try and make an Infopass appointment (going most of the way through the request but not actually submitting it). I think it might be San Jose since it's closer to Fremont than Oakland....but that's my thoughts.

I agree with takadigi...just send the application with delivery confirmation via USPS and you should be good to go.

As for studying for the civics test....as takadigi mentioned..it depends on each person. If you know US history well....then you probably only need to read through the questions just to get a feel for it. However, if you do not know much of US history, then you might need to study the questions a little more. For me, I read through them the night before just to refresh my memory and that was basically it.

As for the Civics test I just studied the book that was given out at finger printing. Really was mostly memorization. Since it's likely a number of months from finger print to interviewing you might want to avoid starting study until you get closer to interview. I just started about three weeks before interview and read the book every night or every other night.

In the interview I got all 10 questions asked correct. A pass is only 6 correct.
This was a oral test where the interviewer asked me a question and I was asked to give the answer. Wasn't hard at all. If you were close with the answer they seem to give you the benefit.

fingerprint notice arrives after one month of filing

I files my N-400 application one month ago 01/03/07. The finger print notice arrived today and the FP appointment was schedule 02/21/07.

I checked old post in San Jose thread. Most Fp appointment are scheduled one month after filing. In my case, the Fp appointment is almost two month after my filing, which make me feel the processing need longer time now.

I am wondering if I could go to have my FP done before the appointment date. Could I go to have my FP done this week? I think It may help to speed up my case. if the USCIS officer got the FP earlier and they could begin to go to the next step.

To USpass: we filed the applicaiton around the same time, I will keep posting my progress. Good luck

r2ichennai2007 said:
hi takadigi,
congratulations. my predictions came true for u.
good luck on the next steps. i hope this is the end of the journey.
Yup, I remember that. Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it. And congratulations on your getting the oath letter.

Yes you can go ahead and do that in the SJ center. I did the same and it seemed to have help speed up my case a bit.
jenny2007 said:
I files my N-400 application one month ago 01/03/07. The finger print notice arrived today and the FP appointment was schedule 02/21/07.

I checked old post in San Jose thread. Most Fp appointment are scheduled one month after filing. In my case, the Fp appointment is almost two month after my filing, which make me feel the processing need longer time now.

I am wondering if I could go to have my FP done before the appointment date. Could I go to have my FP done this week? I think It may help to speed up my case. if the USCIS officer got the FP earlier and they could begin to go to the next step.

To USpass: we filed the applicaiton around the same time, I will keep posting my progress. Good luck

FP Earlier

jenny2007 said:

Yes you can go for FP before your apt date and I have done it, they will let you in if not many people at that time waiting with apt. You can try couple of times.

Infopass at San Jose

I am in a similar boat waiting for the darn IL. I scheduled the Infopass and met the immigration officer at the San Jose center. He was'nt helpful at all, scanned the zebra codes from the NOA and FP letters and told me that my name check was pending. Also told me that the DSC already sent the name check request out so it is FBI name check that is pending. After reading the posts on this forum I am getting to the point of getting the FIOPA, contacting the Congressman and all that headache. Although the Immigration Officer cooly mentioned that I should be getting my IL shortly (not sure on what did he base that on?)...Like takadigi mentioned maybe I should keep calling them or do the montly Infopass visits. Hoping that I get the IL/oath done soon :(

takadigi said:
That basically means your application has not cleared name check. Yeah, you need to keep your fingers crossed because name check could take you for a ride.

But keep calling the Service Center on a monthly basis. I would also recommend taking Infopass appointment. I have heard of cases wherein the applicant was told that his name check was still pending while in reality that was not at all the case. If you are lucky, you may end up getting a helpful Immigration Officer at Infopass who may give you the facts.

happigal said:
Hey Imy....I got my oath letter today :D It was dated Jan 25th and it's for Feb 21st at 1pm.

YIIIIIPPPEEE! :D :D :D

All the best to everyone who are waiting for their Interview letters and oaths. All good things come to those who wait.

Thanks forum for being such a great help! :)

Congrats happigal!!!
Should be a big relief...

Mine is set for 10am, I think there are 3 ceremonies in total.
Again congratulations!

Hi Imy...thanks and yes, I am so relieved :D

Glad all of us got the oath letters so quickly and that we didn't have to wait for two or three weeks like the IO stated :)

kbalabha65 said:
I am in a similar boat waiting for the darn IL. I scheduled the Infopass and met the immigration officer at the San Jose center. He was'nt helpful at all, scanned the zebra codes from the NOA and FP letters and told me that my name check was pending. Also told me that the DSC already sent the name check request out so it is FBI name check that is pending. After reading the posts on this forum I am getting to the point of getting the FIOPA, contacting the Congressman and all that headache. Although the Immigration Officer cooly mentioned that I should be getting my IL shortly (not sure on what did he base that on?)...Like takadigi mentioned maybe I should keep calling them or do the montly Infopass visits. Hoping that I get the IL/oath done soon :(
Only recommendation I would have for you is to be polite in your interaction with the immigration officers when you take Infopass and with the customer service rep when you call the National Service Center. A rude altercation will not help you by any means. If you get a bad customer service, finish the conversation and call back the next day. You will eventually get through to a helpful guy/girl.

But also, you got to realize that if your name check is pending, there is nothing USCIS can do. It is literally in FBI's hand.

San Jose timeline ....

San Jose
Priority date: 8/7/2006
Fingerprint:8/24/2006
Interview letter sent:11/30/2006
Interview:2/1/2007 (Yesterday - smooth - 35 minutes including waiting)
Oath: ?? (30-60 days --according to the officer)

cheers

San Jose timeline ....

I don't remember the fingerprint notice date - circa 8/17.
8/24/2006 is the fingerprint date.