San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

n400aug06 said:
i submitted my N400 application in Aug 2006, and based on some posts on this forum it seems that my interview will be around Feb-Mar 2007. my indian passport is going to expire in Feb 2007. i was told that you need to carry your passport to the interview - does the passport need to be current? or will my expired passport be ok too?

please advise.
As others have suggested, I would strongly recommend getting your passport renewed.

N400 recd by CSC: 07/31/06, FP: 08/15/06, still waiting

N400 recd by CSC: 07/31/06, FP: 08/15/06, still waiting for interview letter.

Anyone else that matches my timelines who already have gotten the interview letter or not, please post so that I'll get an estimate.

Thanks

Case Status on USCIS online

I see the following message for my case on the USCIS website. Does anyone know how long it takes (approx) to get the interview letter? I plan to visit India in Feb 07 and want to make sure the letter arrives before I leave for India. Appreciate any help/advice.

Here is the message that I see on the USCIS website:

On August 24, 2006, we received this N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION, and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow any instructions on this notice. We will notify you by mail when we make a decision or if we need something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. We process cases in the order we receive them. You can use our processing dates to estimate when yours will be done. This case is at our CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER location. Follow the link below to check processing dates. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

Best advice for the last two posts is to peruse this thread, go back page by page and check people's timelines. Other than that it is anyone's guess how your case is going to look like. I went back one page in this thread and found this from another poster:

N-400 Application sent Aug 04, 2006
Priorty Date : August 08, 2006
FP Date : Sept 07, 2006
Interview date: Feb 07, 2007

My second best advice get a friend to check your mail while you're out and notify you if you get the interview letter. Anyway, chances are you'll get the letter before your trip. Please update us with your progress and if possible modify your signature so it shows your timeline. You can add a signature by going to your profile page under User CP.

Yes, I am close to your timelines with PD of July 27th and FP on Aug 18th. I have I/D of Jan 18th, I got this notice in late Nov.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Anticipation driving me nuts

Damn, I'm tired of eagerly anticipating the interview letter. I've concluded that it won't show up any earlier than Feb 07. So, I'm going offline for a while, in hopes of staying sane :)

Happy holidays, everybody, and good luck with your process :)

vaca_lechera said:
Damn, I'm tired of eagerly anticipating the interview letter. I've concluded that it won't show up any earlier than Feb 07. So, I'm going offline for a while, in hopes of staying sane :)

Happy holidays, everybody, and good luck with your process :)
You are crazy if you thought with PD of 10/05/2006 you will get interview letter in December 2006.

takadigi said:
You are crazy if you thought with PD of 10/05/2006 you will get interview letter in December 2006.

That's why he's going to spend the holidays in a psychiatric facility ;) I am just kidding :) It is not too bad to dream a bit about the USCIS delivering on their under 6 month goal. It seems that pretty much everything stops for the second half of December and first half of January or so. I am waiting for my FP notice, but I guess I'll have to wait until well into January.

My 2 cents.

takadigi said:

I agree with Takadigi it's highly unlikely that you will get a interview letter that soon. It was almost 4 months after PD that I got mine. I just did the interview this week and passed. :)

Almost 5 and 1/2 months total so far from PD to interview. Likely another month before oath.

I would recommend just to chill. Expecting to get a interview letter in two months from the PD isn't likely. Even that soon after FP maybe unlikely. And being around the holiday season my guess is that things will slow down even more.

vaca_lechera said:
Anticipation driving me nut....Damn, I'm tired of eagerly anticipating the interview letter....

The fastest case I have seen took 4 months from PD to Interview ... so yes, don't drive yourself nut :D

Time Line
=============================
San Jose DO
05/08/2006 : Application Received
05/08/2006 : Priority Date
06/01/2006 : Finger Print Letter Received
06/09/2006 : Finger Print Done
10/02/2006 : Interview Notice Date
11/13/2006 : Interview Done As Scheduled
12/12/2006 : Oath Letter
01/10/2007 : Oath Date :)

takadigi , have been following your timeline for a while.. my PD is a month after you (6/23) and i still haven't heard anything from them regarding the IL. Just wondering if you infopass your case and found out anything new? this is frustrating (the wait)

bnb913 said:
takadigi , have been following your timeline for a while.. my PD is a month after you (6/23) and i still haven't heard anything from them regarding the IL. Just wondering if you infopass your case and found out anything new? this is frustrating (the wait)
Yes, I did take Infopass appointment and found out that all my (and my spouse's) necessary background check (including name check) were successfully completed. Now we are waiting for "system pickup."

Any N400 applicants in December...

Fellow SanJose mates,

I mailed N400 ~7th of Dec and still waiting for any sort of correspondence...
would consider this normal if more folks have similar situation..

Thanks
uspass

Last edited by a moderator:
uspass said:
I mailed N400 ~7th of Dec and still waiting for any sort of correspondence...
would consider this normal if more folks have similar situation..
Given Holidays over the past month, I wouldn't consider this as abnormal. Typically, it takes about 3 weeks to get the first correspondence. So, 4 weeks in December would be what you would expect. However, if you don't hear in another week, you should take an Infopass appointment.

BTW, when was your check encashed?

My timeline

DO : San Jose
5/30/06: N400 Mailed to CSC
6/06/06: N-400 Receive Date as well as Priority Date
6/19/06: FP Notice Date
7/11/06: FP Appointment
10/02/06: Interview Notice Date
11/15/06: Interview Date
12/18/06: Oath Notice Date
01/17/07: Oath Date

My timelines

[Spouse]

Application Sent - 12/21
Application Delivered - 12/23 (Usps - priority)
Checks Cashed - 12/28

[Myself]

Application Sent - 01/02

sjn400 said:
DO : San Jose
5/30/06: N400 Mailed to CSC
6/06/06: N-400 Receive Date as well as Priority Date
6/19/06: FP Notice Date
7/11/06: FP Appointment
10/02/06: Interview Notice Date
11/15/06: Interview Date
12/18/06: Oath Notice Date
01/17/07: Oath Date

Interesting as my Oath Date is the same as you. Is this at Campbell?
I had my interview on 12/19/06. And received Oath Notice Date about a
week later. Looks like they pack in the Oath's in three month periods. I guess I lucked out and just got in the January Oath. :)

Missing Case Status

Hi Everyone

I just logged in to the USCIS website this morning to check the status of my case and I get the following message:

Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:
Case Status Retrieval Failed

I tried several times and it still comes up with the same message. Did others have a similar experience? I am not sure what to make out of this. Appreciate any input on this. :confused:

no receipt notice..

Any one else file N400 early december (From SJ area) and still dont have any correspondence about the case.. - worried if my file did not reach them :confused:

uspass said:
Any one else file N400 early december (From SJ area) and still dont have any correspondence about the case.. - worried if my file did not reach them :confused:
I had asked you the same question before which you never answered - was your check encashed? If not, you may want to take an Infopass appointment real soon. Because over one month for check encashing is certainly not normal.