Sample of Affidavit (birth cert) for N400 interview

Mohammed Sami

Registered Users (C)
Hello Gurus:

I was reading a thread today and it was mentioned that the IO asked for the birth certificate. I am wondering if birth certificate is necessary to carry to the interview.
I submitted my original and the only birth cert I had to INS when I filed my I-140. I don't have copies. I am not going to the interview but want to know if I can take the affidavit when I get my turn.

Also can some one share a sample affidavit if you have it.

Thanks.
Sami.

I am no lawyer but... unlike the family status (single / married / divorced etc.) the Date of Birth is the one piece of information least likely to change over time :)

This leads me to think that the three two government-issued Picture IDs you would bring to the interview (1/ your passport 2/ your GC 3/ your Driver's License) should provide corroborating evidence of your Date of Birth. In addition, in order to first get a visa to the USA then adjust Status to Legal Permanent Resident, you already have provided the USCIS (or INS back then) with your original birth certificate together with a translation.

Based on this, I brought to my interview my passport, my GC and Driver's License. As a backup, I had a photocopy of my birth certificate but it was not required for the Interview.

Again, this is not legal advice, just my personal experience.
----------------------
Detroit DO - NSC
09/28/98 Entered on K-1 (Fiance) Visa
12/19/98 Married with US Citizen (still happily married 9 years after )
12/24/98 Filed I-485, I-130, I-765 in OKC (NSC)
01/03/99 Moved to Texas (TSC)
05/xx/00 Moved to Eastern PA (VSC)
11/xx/00 Moved to Central NJ (VSC)
03/19/01 LPR
03/xx/03 Received GC dated 03/19/2001
03/20/07 N-400 Priority Date
04/12/07 FP done
09/19/07 Interview passed :)
10/26/07 Naturalized Citizen :)

Hello Gurus:

I submitted my original and the only birth cert I had to INS when I filed my I-140. I don't have copies.

Thanks.
Sami.
I was not asked for original nor copies of BC, but I am curious why did you ever even give ORIGINAL of birth certificate to INS. It is so valuable, and you did not take copies also. Did they ask for original. Usually INS used to ask only copies and we present original during Adjustment of Status interviews.

Hi,

One of my friend went for an interview in Atlanta this year begning. He gave original passport, GC etc during interview. But the officer asked him birth certificate and she told him it seems that she does not care about passport and GC names. All she cares about the birth certificate name its seems. So i think it all depends on the officer?