Same day passport

taiwantaiwan

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

I have my oath ceremony on Friday 6/11, and I need to travel immediately back to Taiwan because my grandma is not doing so well. I know it is possible to get same day passport, but what are the conditions?

It says you need proof that says you're traveling within 14 days. I booked a flight for Tuesday 6/15, but there is another flight that leaves on the night of 6/11, and I would obviously rather get on the 6/11 flight.

My oath is at 9am on 6/11 so I assume it'd end around noon or 1pm so I scheduled my passport agency appointment at 1:30pm. They close the office at 4pm. Would it be possible to get the passport within that 2.5 hour window? If it's not possible, can I pick up the passport on Monday 6/14 instead of having it mailed?

Thanks!

Usually, they will give same day passport if you show up early in the morning (before 10, maybe 11).
You can definitely ask to pick up the passport rather than it being mailed.
Having said that, processing times may vary between various agency offices because of workload.

Even if your appointment is 1:30, show up as soon as you can.

Hey guys,

I have my oath ceremony on Friday 6/11, and I need to travel immediately back to Taiwan because my grandma is not doing so well. I know it is possible to get same day passport, but what are the conditions?

It says you need proof that says you're traveling within 14 days. I booked a flight for Tuesday 6/15, but there is another flight that leaves on the night of 6/11, and I would obviously rather get on the 6/11 flight.

My oath is at 9am on 6/11 so I assume it'd end around noon or 1pm so I scheduled my passport agency appointment at 1:30pm. They close the office at 4pm. Would it be possible to get the passport within that 2.5 hour window? If it's not possible, can I pick up the passport on Monday 6/14 instead of having it mailed?

Thanks!

It seems very unlikely to me that your passport would be ready in 2.5 hours.

It seems very unlikely to me that your passport would be ready in 2.5 hours.

I went into the local Passport Agency(2-hour drive) with my wife the day after she took oath at
the courthouse. After the ceremony, she was officially a US citizen.

At the Passport Agency, we were 3rd in line and after we explained our urgent need for a passport,
the agent took the applicaion & expedited fee. We were told to go get some coffee at the Starbucks
across the street and come back in one hour. Surely enough, her brand new US passport was ready
in one hour. This was on a Wednesday.

The documents we provided to show "urgent need" was a printout of an airline seat reservation
to London(UK) that same afternoon. (important: reservation ONLY, do not purchase) When
we got home, my wife changed her mind and didn't want to want to go to London after all...
decided to go to the mall for someshopping instead... We cancelled the reservation on the
airline's website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went into the local Passport Agency(2-hour drive) with my wife the day after she took oath at

At the Passport Agency, we were 3rd in line and after we explained our urgent need for a passport,
the agent took the applicaion & expedited fee. We were told to go get some coffee at the Starbucks
across the street and come back in one hour. Surely enough, her brand new US passport was ready

The documents we provided to show "urgent need" was a printout of an airline seat reservation
to London(UK) that same afternoon. (important: reservation ONLY, do not purchase) When
we got home, my wife changed her mind and didn't want to want to go to London after all...
decided to go to the mall for someshopping instead... We cancelled the reservation on the
airline's website.

Which passport agency you went?

airline's website.

Nice of you to share this. Now everyone who is as unscrupulous as you will use this dodge to get an instant passport, which will just lead to the passport people tightening up their procedures, making life more difficult for people who really do have urgent problems like a sick grandmother in Taiwan.

airline's website.

So no urgent need - not even in a hurry. Just thought one of the first things you would want to do after becoming a citizen is to (possibly) hold up someone else's genuinely urgent processing.

Not right.

Lots of people are surprised to know that it is possible to get a U.S. passport in 24 hours, but it is true. Of course, it requires a lot of time waiting and can only be possible in really big cities that have these capabilities. There are other choices, too, like expeditor services that will get your passport approval in 24 hours if you are ready to pay