Salaries in Canada

njdude26 said:
If im currently making 90kUSD as a software engineer what salaries can I expect in Toronto ?

Probably 90CAD give or take 5k. But your tax rate will be around 36% (26% Fed + 11% Ontario) Plus social programs which amount to a few more percentage points. Just count on like 40-45% tax. Oh ya they have sales tax on everything of like 14%..

njdude26 said:
If im currently making 90kUSD as a software engineer what salaries can I expect in Toronto ?

It's hard to say since it depends on the company. The salaries in Canada are not based on how much you would make in the US. They have their own criteria.

Can you throw some light on their "criteria" you mentioned?

some of the examples are: the type of industry, the size of the company and the geographical location.

The reason why i posted this q was that i have a lot of people say salaries are low in canada and that is the reason why they want to stay in US !
for atleast 1+ years it is ok for me as i will be working for the same US company at the same USD salary. But once I lose this job then comes the problem !

ERP_Programmer said:
Probably 90CAD give or take 5k. But your tax rate will be around 36% (26% Fed + 11% Ontario) Plus social programs which amount to a few more percentage points. Just count on like 40-45% tax. Oh ya they have sales tax on everything of like 14%..
What are these Social programs you are talking about...

njdude26 said:
The reason why i posted this q was that i have a lot of people say salaries are low in canada and that is the reason why they want to stay in US !
for atleast 1+ years it is ok for me as i will be working for the same US company at the same USD salary. But once I lose this job then comes the problem !

Looks like you are worrying toooo much about money. Money is not everything man, Dont run behind money. Live life.

prman said:
Looks like you are worrying toooo much about money. Money is not everything man, Dont run behind money. Live life.
Please mail your pay check to me . i will send you my address :D

when you work for someone they make money and they prosper so it does matter how much you make out of the money that they make !

same position

Actually i'm in same shoes as yours [software engineer]. I got an offer in toronto and they matched my US salary. Problem was that when I did the calculations, 90k canadian would come down to like 80k USD. thats one thing.

the other thing is, if you make 90k in us,your bi-weekly is like $2600 or so.
In canada, your bi-weekly for 90k would be like $2100. I asked the company's HR to give me net income before going there [married with one or more kids]....so when you convert $2100 to US, you get $1880. I'm 95% sure of these numbers.

So i decided to stay in US for now. Best would be to get a job at a US company and work from home [in canada :)]

-Shah Rukh Khan

hmm

bash123 said:
Actually i'm in same shoes as yours [software engineer]. I got an offer in toronto and they matched my US salary. Problem was that when I did the calculations, 90k canadian would come down to like 80k USD. thats one thing.

the other thing is, if you make 90k in us,your bi-weekly is like $2600 or so.
In canada, your bi-weekly for 90k would be like $2100. I asked the company's HR to give me net income before going there [married with one or more kids]....so when you convert $2100 to US, you get $1880. I'm 95% sure of these numbers.

So i decided to stay in US for now. Best would be to get a job at a US company and work from home [in canada :)]

-Shah Rukh Khan

Nice calculations. But yes i will be working for the same company here in US and getting paid in USD. But still i will end up paying lot more taxes there. correct ?

bash 123,
Yes Canadian taxes are higher. But if you had a US Green card you wouldnt want to go anyway, so you need to choose between getting a higher salary v/s gaining time towards Canadian Citizenship or maintaining PR.

Remember even if you work from home for US company and get paid in USD you must pay taxes in Canada so you end up being equal there.

texancanadian said:
bash 123,

Remember even if you work from home for US company and get paid in USD you must pay taxes in Canada so you end up being equal there.

Do you not pay US taxes at all in that scenario? (working from home in Canada)

You pay both US and Canadian taxes but you get credit for what you paid in US while filing Canadian taxes.

ex

You make 50 K US sitting in Canada. You first file US taxes and say pay 10 K in taxes. Then you file canadian taxes and say that comes out to 15 K. However you can claim credit for the 10K you paid to US so only pay 5 K to Canada.
There are some additional details but thats the way it basically works.

texancanadian said:
You pay both US and Canadian taxes but you get credit for what you paid in US while filing Canadian taxes.

ex

You make 50 K US sitting in Canada. You first file US taxes and say pay 10 K in taxes. Then you file canadian taxes and say that comes out to 15 K. However you can claim credit for the 10K you paid to US so only pay 5 K to Canada.

Confirm with the tax consultant. If you moved to Canada permanently but if your US employer keeps you on his payroll, (u work for a US employer from your home in Canada) you will not need to pay US taxes. (Assuming you do not have a GC or US citizenship). I think it is similar to someone working from India for a US employer (outsourcing). Why will that person pay US taxes? Again, this is my thinking - confirm with a US tax consultant. I will try to post the reliable sourced info, if I get it.

texancanadian said:

ex

See IRS publication 519. If you move to Canada, you will be a US non resident alien. A NR alien is subject to the US tax only if the source of the income is US. See table 2.1 that describes how to determine what the source of income is.

(http://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/ch02.html#d0e1847)

1) Salary/wages - the source of income is "where services are performed". In your case, it is Canada, therefore, it is not a US source income and is not taxable by the IRS.

Hope this helps.

---Note: I am not a professional. If in doubt, seek professional advice. ---

Bigboy,
Thanks for the clarification. You are most likely correct. My thought was more along the lines of living in Canada but working in US (Windsor/Detroit).
Thanks