Sailing Permit

v_dharini

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks,

After reading several posts in this forum it appears like Sailing permit is a least priority item, but I think it would nevertheless be safe to have them so that we don't fall short in any department during CP interview.

Could somebody suggest the process to get one. Are there any application forms available on the web ?? And Where are the office issueing these permits ?

Thanks in advance,

Thank you kdivekar for your directions!

I just checked with the IRS office and I am not sure if I reached the right office, they didn't seem to know anything about it. Any experience on Sailing permit from Dallas area? And could anybody confirm the the location/phone# as I am unsure if I reached the right place.
I do understand that we need to get this 30 days prior to flying out for CP interview.

Thanks,

Sailing permit has *never* been a requirement for consular interviews. It is a myth propagated in many forums.
Sailing permit is a document that shows compliance with US tax laws and was a requirement for all aliens departing from US and it used to be checked at the port of departure by INS/IRS. It is no longer the case, that is why no one at IRS offices knows anything about it. If you have tax returns then sailing permit is useless.
However if you are the paranoid type, go ahead and get it.

Thanks nkm-oct23!

I definitely don't want to take extra effort to get something thats useless. The basis for my "exploration" was posts on this forum relating to sailing permit plus the details provided on immihelp web site. So if we're all sure Tax transcripts are just adequate thats just great news for us cpers.

Thanks again,

Originally posted by v_dharini
Thanks nkm-oct23!

I definitely don't want to take extra effort to get something thats useless. The basis for my "exploration" was posts on this forum relating to sailing permit plus the details provided on immihelp web site. So if we're all sure Tax transcripts are just adequate thats just great news for us cpers.

Thanks again,

I went thru CP last year in Chennai and never even thought about sailing permit. All that I took was copies of 1040 federal tax returns, not even tax transcripts. I had no problems at all.

When one leaves United States, no one checks for any thing, except I94 card.

I also did my CP without sailing permit.

1040 copies/Transcripts is also an optional document. Even packet 4 does not mention it.

I completed my CP just couple of days back. (22nd July 2003). They didn't ask for sailing permit (I-9003). Though I carried that item.

Technically, you could be denied exit from US without a sailor's permit for want of proof of payment of taxes to US Govt. if any. Also that serves as a solid proof that you don't owe US Govt any money in terms of taxes. It's good to have it if possible and it's a simple and 5 minutes job.

Find your local IRS office from the www.irs.gov website. Go to that office directly with your passport and travelling air ticket. Ask them for a sailor's permit (or sailing permit). Within five minutes they'll issue the same.

That's it. It's your choice whether you want to carry it or not!

Cheers,
Ganesh.