running red light

McPheever

Registered Users (C)
I'm now my status is just a visitor and I've been here for a few months (married to US citizen, we're about to apply for my green card next month) I got a ticket for running a red light this past Sunday. My mother in law had took a stroke and I was rushing to pick my husband up from work. Will this affect me being able to get my green card???

Relax

I'm now my status is just a visitor and I've been here for a few months (married to US citizen, we're about to apply for my green card next month) I got a ticket for running a red light this past Sunday. My mother in law had took a stroke and I was rushing to pick my husband up from work. Will this affect me being able to get my green card???

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's situation.:eek:

On your question.... No way it is going to affect your GC application. It is a moving violation, USCIS don't care about such a minor incident. It is not a crime. Your fine couldn't be more than $75.00.:rolleyes: I hope it is your last spat with traffic offenses because certain offenses will affect your GC application:eek:

How long have you being in the US on a visitor's visa before you married your husband? Very important question, because it has a bearing on your GC application.

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's situation.:eek:

On your question.... No way it is going to affect your GC application. It is a moving violation, USCIS don't care about such a minor incident. It is not a crime. Your fine couldn't be more than $75.00.:rolleyes: I hope it is your last spat with traffic offenses because certain offenses will affect your GC application:eek:

How long have you being in the US on a visitor's visa before you married your husband? Very important question, because it has a bearing on your GC application.

I'm actually not even here on a visa, I've here for 5 months just as a visitor from Canada. We got married January 19th, so I was here 2 months before we were married we been back and forth from Canada to US for about 4 years. We're getting ready to file for my GC within the next month. I'm also almost 5 months pregnant so I'm hoping I have no complications as far as being able to stay here in States.

Thanks for answering my question, $75 doesn't sound that bad I was thinking it would be more than that. I probably won't be driving anymore until I get my greencard, I don't want any type of violations.

congratulations on your marriage and your soon-to-be-baby!

it sounds like you've done everything right.
make sure that, if you came here as a visitor, you NEVER state that your intention when you entered the country was to get married. like i said, you've done nothing wrong, but just make sure that you don't get them all in a knot regarding your "intent" when you entered the country...in other words, you got engaged after you entered the US 5 months ago. :)

again, congrats :) :)

congratulations on your marriage and your soon-to-be-baby!

it sounds like you've done everything right.
make sure that, if you came here as a visitor, you NEVER state that your intention when you entered the country was to get married. like i said, you've done nothing wrong, but just make sure that you don't get them all in a knot regarding your "intent" when you entered the country...in other words, you got engaged after you entered the US 5 months ago. :)

again, congrats :) :)

Thanks :) I was starting to worry a little bit that I did something wrong.

Do you think it'll matter if I wait a few months before we file for my greencard?? I was trying to get it off before I had been here for 180 days, but at the same time we need the money right now, it would be better if we could do it in a few months.

Thanks :) I was starting to worry a little bit that I did something wrong.

Do you think it'll matter if I wait a few months before we file for my greencard?? I was trying to get it off before I had been here for 180 days, but at the same time we need the money right now, it would be better if we could do it in a few months.

The 180 days are "overstay". So only if you stay more than 180 days after(!) you're legally supposed to leave again (after 6 months? for Canadians), would that really matter (and even then I'm not sure). You have plenty of time!