Rumor: Looks like Problem transfering your H1B to a New Company.

Does anybody other than Rediff think so?
I thought the 'norm' was to go outside US for visa re-validation. Not for H1 application.

sucks eitherways

Neeru,

I have heard about this for first time. The news are only for visa revalidation we need to go out to home country and get the stamp. Otherwise, we can pretty much change the employer here without any problem.

If somebody has seen this annoucement on any other Immigration website, please post it here.

Thanks,
-Honeybee
:)

chennai_boy_321 said:
Guys,

Check this out....Rediff has posted this article

http://us.rediff.com/money/2004/jul/22visa.htm
Please tag this message as "SPAM"

-> Don't think its as bad as what the article says .... maybe the writer got confused between a H1 transfer and the visa stamp.
Plus I've not heard it being mentioned *anywhere* else

Typical of the rediff way of doing "sensationalistic" reporting :)

Stupid Writer

The guy doesn't know anything.
It's entirely wrong. It's true that you need to go to India for Visa Revalidation
from 07/21. But you can still apply for new Visa's here itself

convincing baloney!

This is like fox news coverage of the presidency - getting hold of a partisan politician and beating his/her quotes to death.

New visa norm to aid staff tracking: US

Sambit Saha in Kolkata | July 22, 2004 09:43 IST

The new visa regulations implemented by the United States could be of great help to Indian information technology firms as they try to tackle employee issues like staff poaching.

However, the reduction of H-1B visa quota by the United States has led to protests in India, admitted US consul-general George Sibley and consular services chief Sarah Nelson at a media meet in Kolkata on Wednesday.

Considered to be a lifeline for the Indian IT industry, the new H-1B visa norm, which requires the holder of the visa to come back to India and make fresh application in case if he/she switches job, is going to help Indian IT majors tackle the unlawful poaching problem.

"It has been a nagging problem for the Indian IT company which often found the employee missing after he/she lands up with a particular assignment in the US. Not only the company used to loose all it had spent on the employee for his/her training and development, it sometime had to face cancellation of contracts by the US client for delayed delivery of service, which arise from non-committed employee. The new norm would act as a deterrent for unscrupulous employees," Bhaskar Rajah, deputy director of American Centre in Kolkata said.

Under the new guideline, an employee has to come back to India and make fresh petition for applying for a new H-IB. In case, he/she is found wanting to establish the case for quitting earlier assignment mid-way and shifting to new job, the visa could also be denied.

"For decent people, there should not be a problem getting the new visa. But those indulging in unscrupulous act of quitting job mid-way, getting a new visa would be an issue. So those indulging in such act will think twice before actually doing it since the uncertainty will rise manifold. Moreover, they have to come back to the country again," he added.

Even though the norm is new in the US, such practice has already been available in many other countries. Indian software companies have been demanding this in the US to stop unlawful poaching.

There are several categories of temporary worker visas and H-1B is one of them. The programme earlier had a visa ceiling of 65,000 per year.

However, with the increased IT demand in the year 2000, this was increased to 1,15,000 and subsequently to 1,95,000 for a period of 3 years. The three-year period ended on September 30, 2003 and the H-1B cap was brought back to 65,000 per year.

India is one of the biggest beneficiaries of the H-IB visa programme, which is for a maximum period of three years.

Rediff should stick to reporting about Ash's waistline and Bipasha basu's oomphness....It is a mindless entertaining site...

Nonsense news

Even though the reporter does not know what the facts are, (or maybe got the news from a street fruit-seller), but I was amazed at this sentence:

"The new norm would act as a deterrent for unscrupulous employees"

unscrupulous employees????
What about unscrupulous employers, who pay about one half of the normal salary, and treat H1B holders as bonded labor?

parolee,
wac03002

Kulfi said:
The guy doesn't know anything.
It's entirely wrong. It's true that you need to go to India for Visa Revalidation
from 07/21. But you can still apply for new Visa's here itself
I have a question, When you apply for new visa what about getting the visa stamped on your passport (if the need arises for you to travel outside of USA), don't you have to go to home country to get the stamping done (by the way is the visa revalidation basically stamping the approved H1-visa on your passport - are there 2 different rules to 2 different scenarios).

- Would appreciate clarification if anyone knows the correct (if there is one) answer.

The guy who wrote this article is a dope. He does not anything about h-1b.
One strange thing he supports employers . Why would any body want to change firms if he is treated well and looked after.

golumolu said:
I have a question, When you apply for new visa what about getting the visa stamped on your passport (if the need arises for you to travel outside of USA), don't you have to go to home country to get the stamping done (by the way is the visa revalidation basically stamping the approved H1-visa on your passport - are there 2 different rules to 2 different scenarios).

- Would appreciate clarification if anyone knows the correct (if there is one) answer.
No -- the rule is simple ....

* Visa extensions (USCIS) can happen while in the US - the result of which is a 797 with an amended I94.
* Visa stamping ( revalidation ) - (Dept Of State) - has to happen at a consulate abroad.

Remember, visa stamping merely enables travel in/out of US -- its the I94 which determines validity to stay in the US.

2 different organizations - 2 different documents for different reasons - hence 2 rules :)

max2k1 said:
No -- the rule is simple ....

* Visa extensions (USCIS) can happen while in the US - the result of which is a 797 with an amended I94.
* Visa stamping ( revalidation ) - (Dept Of State) - has to happen at a consulate abroad.

Remember, visa stamping merely enables travel in/out of US -- its the I94 which determines validity to stay in the US.

2 different organizations - 2 different documents for different reasons - hence 2 rules :)

ok agreed to what you said, but when you file for extension and once you get your 797 with amended i-94 there is no need to get the passport revalidated until you get your GC if you decide to hang-on in USA till the GC stamping or arrival of physical card is this right.

similarly after you get H1 extension with 797 and amended i94, if incase you need to travel outside USA for whatever reason, then do you have to first go to home country get the H1 - extension stamped on your passport and continue travel????

golumolu

Yes, If you want to come back to the US then you have to go the consulate abroad and get a new Visa stamp( Give by Dept Of State ) and has nothing to do with USCIS.

HTH

golumolu said:
ok agreed to what you said, but when you file for extension and once you get your 797 with amended i-94 there is no need to get the passport revalidated until you get your GC if you decide to hang-on in USA till the GC stamping or arrival of physical card is this right.

similarly after you get H1 extension with 797 and amended i94, if incase you need to travel outside USA for whatever reason, then do you have to first go to home country get the H1 - extension stamped on your passport and continue travel????
Yeah - you don't need a visa stamp if you are going to stay in the US.
As I said, visa stamp is ONLY for travel.
Actually, you don't have to wait till GC stamping - you can travel on AP.

If you need to get your PP stamped ( these days ), its better to go to your home consulate.

Folks

In addition to venting your frustrations and anger here, please also pound on Rediff big time.

I guess it is time to just give it back on their face to hopefully make them realize what crap they are delivering in the name NEWS.

Cheers :mad: :( :eek:

murthy_janaki said:
The guy who wrote this article is a dope. He does not anything about h-1b.
One strange thing he supports employers . Why would any body want to change firms if he is treated well and looked after.

The Guy is a Jelaous nut, He can't come to USA since he is brainless and can't digest the fact that many intelligent Indians are working in US and earning decent salary, living a happy life.

It appears that writer did not get his daily dose or may be he was too high while trying to do a story. However, I understand that you can still go to Canada for Visa stamping. Right?

Kulfi said:
The Guy is a Jelaous nut, He can't come to USA since he is brainless and can't digest the fact that many intelligent Indians are working in US and earning decent salary, living a happy life.