RTD and NP together?

asylee75

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I've read a number of times here that we can't use the RTD and NP together. Is this true? What is the reason for this? The reason I'm asking is that I'm planning a trip to Hong Kong and Beijing next month but the lady at the Chinese Embassy did not recognize my RTD and said that I needed a GC to go there. She said, however, that I could use my NP and placed their visa there. I was thinking that I will use my RTD upon exit from US and again upon entry coming back here. Aside from that, I am thinking of using my NP while in China. Does anyone see a problem with this? Hope someone can help me with this as I am getting more and more worried as the date of our trip approaches. Thanks to all!

Just show your RTD when you come into the USA I did that a few times for the same reasons and I wasn't even asked for stamps on the RTD (it was empty) I used NP because they wouldn't issue a visa on RTD (indonesia) and besides I entered SIngapore with my NP as well because my RTD wasn't valid for more that 6 months so they didn't accept it. So based on my experience I say that you wil be fine!!!

Just show your RTD when you come into the USA I did that a few times for the same reasons and I wasn't even asked for stamps on the RTD (it was empty) I used NP because they wouldn't issue a visa on RTD (indonesia) and besides I entered SIngapore with my NP as well because my RTD wasn't valid for more that 6 months so they didn't accept it. So based on my experience I say that you wil be fine!!!

Last time when I went to Singapore, my RTD was less than 5 months. They gave me a hard time but let me go through eventually. I supplied the return ticket and hotel confirmations. I don't have my NP with me.

Thanks dvazque. My RTD is is valid for more than 6 months so I'm covered with that. Glad to know that it worked for someone under similar curcumstances. It takes a load of my chest. Thanks!

I thought you cannot use NP+RTD. Iam in the same boat I currenty have an RTD and I applied for my I-485 in march 2008. I had to travel to Dubai but they dont issue visa on RTD. Can I renew and travel on my NP and enter US on my RTD and will it raise any concerns as far as my I-485 is concerned?. Another question relating to travel on NP is Do the immigration authoritizes (dubai etc) give you a hard time since your travelled on NP and Leaving to USA on RTD.Pls response with our personal experience.Thankyou

I thought you cannot use NP+RTD. Iam in the same boat I currenty have an RTD and I applied for my I-485 in march 2008. I had to travel to Dubai but they dont issue visa on RTD. Can I renew and travel on my NP and enter US on my RTD and will it raise any concerns as far as my I-485 is concerned?. Another question relating to travel on NP is Do the immigration authoritizes (dubai etc) give you a hard time since your travelled on NP and Leaving to USA on RTD.Pls response with our personal experience.Thankyou

silverspooon, glad to know someone in a similar situation as me. Have you traveled to Dubai already or is it for some future date? If you've traveled already, what was your experience? Our trip to Hong Kong is on September 25. I'll post here our experience when we get back on October 15.

silverspooon, glad to know someone in a similar situation as me. Have you traveled to Dubai already or is it for some future date? If you've traveled already, what was your experience? Our trip to Hong Kong is on September 25. I'll post here our experience when we get back on October 15.

I Have not travelled to dubai yet, But if you can post your experience when you get back would be great.Wish you a safe trip.Also another question I have is.. If you are travelling with your RTD have you renewed your NP after your case was approved or your NP was still valid??? Cuz mine is expired and Iam confused as to renew it not and If it will have any negative impact of my I-485 which I filed in march 08.

I Have not travelled to dubai yet, But if you can post your experience when you get back would be great.Wish you a safe trip.Also another question I have is.. If you are travelling with your RTD have you renewed your NP after your case was approved or your NP was still valid??? Cuz mine is expired and Iam confused as to renew it not and If it will have any negative impact of my I-485 which I filed in march 08.

Nope, my NP is good until Dec 2009. I haven't really thought what I will do after that. I have heard a number of times from this forum that there is a risk of renewing NP especially before getting the green card approved. Of course, if you have a valid reason and can explain it to the Immigration Officer, it may be ok. I guess you just have to be ready to justify your action. Try opening a thread asking if somebody has renewed their NP before their I-485 was approved. Hopefully, somebody will respond.

You are taking a risk by renewing NP during aslyum. Even, after getting a CG, there is still a risk but not as much as with aslyum ( I might be wrong).

Back in 2000, I have asked the same question to my lawyer ( in aslyum status) about NP, his response was 'forget about your NP'