Rookie...

ruddy

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
I am new here and I have some questiones I want to ask you.
I just applied for asylum a few weeks ago. I am interested in information about the procedures that I'm gonna go through. What should I expect from now on. I appreciate any information that you can give me.

Thanks a lot

ruddy,
The good news is that you do not have to wait for long years to meet an immigration officer who would interview you. The bad news is: unless you really have a strong case, you will not be approved. Also, even if you are approved tomorrow, according to the INS figures, you would expect to get your green card 10 years from now. If you have a chance to do an employment based green card or marriage based green card, it is much better to do so. I have applied for political asylum more than 10 years ago and I still did not get my green card, I repeat: 10 years = no green card yet!!! Sorry brother, I did not want to discourage you but it is the sad truth.

Originally posted by shamshon
ruddy,
The good news is that you do not have to wait for long years to meet an immigration officer who would interview you. The bad news is: unless you really have a strong case, you will not be approved. Also, even if you are approved tomorrow, according to the INS figures, you would expect to get your green card 10 years from now. If you have a chance to do an employment based green card or marriage based green card, it is much better to do so. I have applied for political asylum more than 10 years ago and I still did not get my green card, I repeat: 10 years = no green card yet!!! Sorry brother, I did not want to discourage you but it is the sad truth.

Thank you for your reply you did not discourage me.
I don't know what means a " strong case " according to INS but hope that mine is strong enough.
Can you tell me please what you mean that I do not have to wait for long years to meet an immigration officer, can you tell me also, is there any difference where I'm gonna have an interview, I mean in which state? I heard that some asylum offices are more liberal than others.

Thank you

Originally posted by ruddy

Thank you for your reply you did not discourage me.
I don't know what means a " strong case " according to INS but hope that mine is strong enough.
Can you tell me please what you mean that I do not have to wait for long years to meet an immigration officer, can you tell me also, is there any difference where I'm gonna have an interview, I mean in which state? I heard that some asylum offices are more liberal than others.

Thank you

Check INS statistics reports. http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/aboutins/statistics
attached filed reports the number of cases filed, approved, denied, etc at each office in 1997.

I waited 6 years to get an interview with an immigration officer. During this long period of time, I was waiting and waiting. Now, according to the discussion in this forum, the INS is not allowing this to happen again. However, they only give 10000 visas for asylee every year and they currently have approximately 130000 pending cases. Thus, asylee will still have to wait for long time. As for the state, I think the larger the state is, the longer the time you would have to wait. One more thing: I think they have a new provision where it became much easier to get an employment authorization if they do not decide your case within 90 days. Good luck

Thank you for your help guys, i appreciate it.
It seems that I just have to wait forward and to get use to with.