Rip-off Medical Exams in NY area: Beware of D.O.C.S. (NY) likes

nair

Registered Users (C)
Friends,
I am writing to make you all aware of Rip-off Medical Exams practised in NY area. My wife recently got her Medical Exams done at DOCS (INS Approved), a physicians group affiliated with Beth Israel Medical Center.

Not only did they not give her proper advise regarding what is required and what is not, they have ripped her off with exhorbitant charges. Total charges were $493.00. We have received additional bills from Labs for Blood tests. When we initially contacted them, they did not mention all the hidden charges.

Here is a summary:
Office Visit 165.00
MMR Vacc 55.00
Immun Admin 20.00
Td Vacc 29.00
Immun Admin 10.00
Chicken Pox 80.00
X-Ray 94.00
etc.

Compare this to what I paid in Atlanta to obtain the same certificate. The attending Nurse informed me that INS requires 3 vaccinations; MMR, Td (Typhoid & Diptherea), and Varicella(Chicken Pox). She told me that if you have got Chicken Pox as a child, then this vaccination is not required. You need to tell at what age you got it. Then she advised me that I could get these vaccinations at a Community Health Center for very nominal fees, or from a Doctor who is part of you Health Insurance Network. The immunizations are covered under most medical plans.

The nurse then advised me of their services. The fee for Medical Exam, Blood Test, and Skin-Test for TB, she said was $125.00. X-Rays are only required if the Skin-Test comes Positive (shows reaction to the Protein injected).

All in all, I paid:
MMR $15.00
Td $15.00
Exam $125.00

A Total of $155.00. This was a deal.

I believe that these Medical Exams can range from $150.00 to $250.00. But, $500.00, Please???

Hope this is helpful.

Best Wishes.

nair

No Title

In NY these fees are common and I wouldn\'t call them as rip-off. I paid close to this amount and this is after I have called about 5 doctors in my area...

No Title

You can save money if you go to local county health center and get the MMR and Td vaccinations for free. They propably charge fee for chiken pox vaccine as it is expensive. All you need is a prove of vaccinations done.

No Title

Both of you guys are right. The point is that these doctors should give you the right advice, and also let you know of all the charges upfront. It is called cheating, when you are stuck with a list of charges, at the very end. With the number of medical exams they perform on a daily basis, they can easily give you all the advice, and help avoid unnecessary charges.

Moreover, I think, what most people don\'t know is that you can get these medical exams anywhere.

Hope this helps.

nair

No Title

I\'m surprised. I got med exam done on Broadway (center is called Foley\'s something.... (downtown - across from City Hall). They charged me $170 total (no X-Ray). Later I took my wife. She couldn\'t come back after 48 hrs to check TB reaction. So had to get X-Ray done. They sent us to a nearby diagnostic clinic and asked to say we were sent by them. After some hesitation, the clinic agreed. Two years later (about 6 months back) I referred my co-worker to the same place. The charges are the same. Hope this posting benefits someone in the future.

No Title

I got it done at Queesn NY and paid $450/- for me, my wife and for my son.

Its $175/each for my wife and for me and $100 for my Son.

Hope it helps
If you need the doctors address and phone number mail me at kirankumar55@hotmail.com
Kiran