RFE, time to submit response. (in case of missed RFE)

GCPEN

Registered Users (C)
485 RFE: time to submit response. (in case of original RFE was not recd)

My Orignial RFE issued by USCIS on 06/23/2004. but we never recd and trying to get a duplicate copy from them.

As per USCIS site http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/scnational/index.htm#E

RFE response must be received
within 12 weeks. Since we never received RFE because
of INS's typo error while entering my attorney address, We already lost 7 weeks. Still i am not sure when i am going to get duplicate copy.

Q:- Once they issue duplicate RFE, Do they give us 12 weeks from duplicate copy issue date?

Last edited by a moderator:
No. i never changed my address.

My 485 Receipt shows incorrect street add # for my attorney. That's why RFE sent back to INS by USPS

Did your lawyer called CIS to carrect his address??? I think 12 weeks duration start when you receive the RFE. It doesn't apply if you haven;t receive the RFE..

"I am not a lawyer. SO I am just guessing after i read the link above."

Can any folks faced this issue. i.e lost RFE and submitted RFE after getting DUPLICATE copy?

You may need to ask for extension for response to RFE

I think you need to reply for RFE within 87 days. After that, they may consider you 'abadoned' your case.

I would suggest to send a letter to INS to ask for duplicate RFE and simultaneously ask for extension of time for response to RFE since you did not receive the first copy of RFE. Also call the CIS customer service to update your contacting address.

I think the RFE counts days from the date they generate the RFE, not the date you receive the RFE. They may think 87 days is enough for you to receive and reply that.

I too having that problem. My lawyer didn't received my kids RFE's.
I don't know what to do? Whether he was lieing for making case complicate(Because my company is going to pay money).
If we reply to my RFE and my wife's RFE, are there any chances of approving my applications? Are they going to wait for those(Kids) RFE's?

I am still wating to get a copy of RFE that was issued 11 weeks ago. Has any one in same boat. Please suggest on different ways to retrieve from INS. (My lawyer sent letter and called 1800 number 5 weeks ago)