RFE received regarding Special registration question... Please help

ashy

Registered Users (C)
I am an Indian citizen who happened to be born in Kuwait. I have recently received an RFE (for EAD) asking me to provide the I-94 with the special registration stamp. Now I didn't do special registration as I didn't consider it necessary as I was never a Kuwaiti citizen. I replied to the RFE with an affadavit stating that I am an Indian citizen and the necessary copied of my passport. However, that does not seem to satisfy BCIS.

1. Do you think I need to do special registration?
2. If not, then what can I provide that will satisfy BCIS?
3. If I need to do special registration, then what all should I take with me?

Any help in this matter would be really great.

Thanks.

definition of citizen or national

I suppose if you are considered CITIZEN or NATIONAL of KUWAIT, then you probably fall under Group 4; I am assuming that other conditions (gender, age, duration of stay) for Group 4 are already met. I should suggest that additional [Indian] citizenship does NOT reduce Kuwaiti affiliation, if any, as far as this special registration is concerned.

You probably already have USCIS' link on the subject, but
here it is anyway.

My advise: prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a lawyer. Heck, I don't understand law most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither citizen not national

Thanks for the reply.. but I am neither a citizen nor a national as far as Kuwait is concerned.. Being born there does not grant you any such privileges as in the US. Thats' the reason I never even realised that Special registration would be applicable to me.

back to basics

I hope you're right. Actually, you probably are. However, given that the cost of error is high, please consult a lawyer and a good one at that.

Also, here are some definitions from USCIS' website:

Citizenship : The country in which a person is born (and has not renounced or lost citizenship) or naturalized and to which that person owes allegiance and by which he or she is entitled to be protected.

National : A person owing permanent allegiance to a state.

Naturalization : The conferring, by any means, of citizenship upon a person after birth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Neither citizen not national

Originally posted by ashy
.... Being born there does not grant you any such privileges...
The issue is NOT whether you're a Kuwaiti Citizen/National under Kuwaiti law, but whether you're deemed a Kuwaiti Citizen and/or National under the US Law pertaining to Special Registration.

Don't understand how US law can deem a person as citizen of another country when that person doesn't receive any of the privileges due to citizens.. such as voting, ability to purchase property etc..

But the question is.. is that really how US law would brand me.. as a Kuwaiti citizen? and if so, do I have to do special registration? I was hoping that I may not be the only person falling in this rather bizarre category..

Thanks nov2k for you feedback..