RFE Question

DoubleDown78

Registered Users (C)
I e-filed an I-129 form for the position of Civil Engineering Technician and just received an RFE. The letter says that USCIS requires "Evidence Pertaining to the Applicant's Qualifications".

Under "Applicant's Qualifications", they ask for "a copy of the applicant's permanent California Architect license.". I am not a licensed Engineer or Architect, but I do have a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering.

Does this mean that they are asking for the license of my company principal (a licensed architect - his name was on the application form)? I know that my company (an A/E firm) is technically the petitioner and I am the beneficiary, but the way the form is presented leaves me unsure as to whose information they're after.

Do I need to send a copy of my principal's license? Or do I need to provide them with something else that shows that I can practice under the supervision of a license professional? I'm a little nervous about how this process will play out.

I would most appreciate any insight that anyone can provide.

The "applicant" is your employer, remember? They want your employers license info.

Is there a particular reason why you didn't apply an a pure Engineer (you don't need a license to be an engineer), since you are one, rather than as a EngTech. The TN requirements for EngTech are more difficult, since you have to work 'in support' of someone else, and is usually used by those who do not have a degree?

I think (in fact, the RFE tells me for sure) that you are making your life difficult by not simply getting a TN under the engineering category.

Thanks for the response - that clears things up a lot.

My first TN (3 years ago) was applied for under the EngTech designation, since my company didn't think that my job was technically that of an engineer (based on the DOT job descriptions). I've always applied as an EngTech at the border with no trouble.

Part 5 of my I-129, under "Job Title" it says "37 - Civil Engineer", and then under "Nontechnical Description of Job" it says "Civil Engineering Technician".
The employment letter outlines that my duties are those of a "Civil Engineering Technician (profess. & kin.)", again based on the DOT job description. So if I understand you correctly, the request for my principal's license is based on that letter, and not the I-129. Am I also correct in assuming that this RFE is not questioning my credentials, but those of my company?

At any rate, I think you're right about me over-complicating things. I hope that things go smoothly after I send in the info that they've requested. Thanks again.

Tedch need to work for someone how is a professional. I guess they are asking if your firm has such professionals. I always thought techs had to submit the resume and credentials of the person the tech worked for. This RFE seems to be broadening that to the copany scope.

Did you submit your supervisor's credentials with the original application?

I didn't, since I'd never had to present them when applying (successfully) at the border.

Perhaps some NAFTA professions are subject to increased scrutiny now that the status can be held for 3 years? Either that or I was lucky at the border...which is possible.

EngTech and SciTech have ALWAYS been high scrutiny since no there are no educational requirements.

Interesting. I'll definitely keep that in mind for the next time.

Thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it.