RFE on legal status

Have you ever been out of the country? What counts is your legal status after your last entry to US. Also you should be in status on the moment of filing I-485.

Hope it helps.
Удачи!

voldemarv,
Is the above statement really correct? I have seen lot of arguments/ discussions about this on bulletin boards with no concrete conclusion / outcome either way.

Is there any memo or something about it?

voldemarv,
Is the above statement really correct? I have seen lot of arguments/ discussions about this on bulletin boards with no concrete conclusion / outcome either way.

Is there any memo or something about it?
It's not on the top of my mind, your research is as good as mine. At least if you was in status on the moment of filing I-485 ad maintain status after that- it's enough.
245(k):
---------------------------------------------
(k) 7/ An alien who is eligible to receive an immigrant visa under paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of section 203(b) (or, in the case of an alien who is an immigrant described in section 101(a)(27)(C) , under section 203(b)(4) ) may adjust status pursuant to subsection (a) and notwithstanding subsection (c)(2), (c)(7), and (c)(8), if--

(1) the alien, on the date of filing an application for adjustment of status, is present in the United States pursuant to a lawful admission;

(2) the alien, subsequent to such lawful admission has not, for an aggregate period exceeding 180 days--

(A) failed to maintain, continuously, a lawful status;

(B) engaged in unauthorized employment; or

(C) otherwise violated the terms and conditions of the alien's admission.

------------------------------

chatterjee1, it was sheer luck that my first I-94's copy survived. I also have action notices from the INS on other visas issued, as a change of status. But I never cared about copying I-94 stubs. Voldemarv mentioned in this thread that what matters is that you've been legal since your last entry to US. If this is true then I guess you are OK.

I have my expired passport with all stamps of entry and copy of my I 20. So hopefully that shd suffice.

I-20 should also have your first entry date stamped at top right corner at port of entry. On the back of I-20, practical training period should be mentioned as well.

I have my expired passport with all stamps of entry and copy of my I 20. So hopefully that shd suffice.

Interesting discussion. I actually have been in the US since 1991 (longer than the original post!), and I don't have my original passport or I-94 - or copies of them. But I do have all my I-20s and I actually sent all of them with my I-485 application in February when I applied, anticipating that they'd want to see evidence of legal presence. Hopefully they won't ask for anything more....

legal entry/stay

Much like jk0274, I have also been in this country since 1991, and I do not have copies of my original I-94, hence I basically copied all pages of my old passport/old visa, etc and sent in whatever copies of I-20 I had with me, including grad school transcripts and degree completion cerifications. Hopefully, that should satisfy.

Interesting discussion. I actually have been in the US since 1991 (longer than the original post!), and I don't have my original passport or I-94 - or copies of them. But I do have all my I-20s and I actually sent all of them with my I-485 application in February when I applied, anticipating that they'd want to see evidence of legal presence. Hopefully they won't ask for anything more....