RFE: how to deal with this?

maverick13

Registered Users (C)
Both me and my wife received RFEs with the following on I693 medical:

The I693 you submitted does not meet requirements: we have noted that you have received a chest xray for your TB exam, the civil surgeon failed to indicate why you were not given the required tuberculin skin test.
The enclosed I693 form must be properly endorsed by the designated surgeon to indicate why the test was not given. If there are no problems, the test must be taken.

1) Firstly my wife was studying in South carolina at that time, she went to a local doctor there. Do they expect us to go to the same surgeon again? Or will another test from a local surgeon here in CA suffice?

2) Can someone elaborate on what exactly the doctor needs to approve on the I693 form to satisfy TB test requirements so I can watch out for it before sending response to this RFE.

Has anyone else gone through this hassle?

RFE - X-ray without Skin Test

The standard process for TB Test:

1. Skin Test : You have to have skin test, and result may be positive for most of the Asians. It will take 3 days to get the result. If the skin test is negative, no need to go for X-Ray test.

2. X-Ray : If the skin test is positive, the doctor will advise you to go for X-Ray test. The X-ray results will be available in a day or two. If this is normal, the you don’t need to worry about it.

3. Medication: If the X-Ray is not normal, you may have to go for medication.

For any reason your doctor has skipped the skin test, you will get RFE, and then you have to start all over again from the blood work, and skin test. You can go to any one of the approved list of doctors in your area.

This RFE doesn’t make any sense for anyone, but this happened for one of my friends last week.

Hello,

In case of such an RFE, should we do the whole of the medical again (immunizations etc along with the TB test) or the TB skin test alone?

Thanks.

Well actually in the RFE they have specifically just asked to do the TB skin test, so I will be doing that much only. For my wife we will have to go to a different doctor, so we might have to do the whole medical again.:(

I did my medical in 2003 in chicago when i filed for I-485. At that time the civil surgeon did not do the TB skin test, I am not sure why. I live in New Jersey now and received the RFE for this test. So I went to a surgeon in New Jersey and had only the TB skin test done. Will this be a problem as the rest of the test was done by a different surgeon in Chicago??

Btw, coco_butter what is your priority date and category?

I did my medical in 2003 in chicago when i filed for I-485. At that time the civil surgeon did not do the TB skin test, I am not sure why. I live in New Jersey now and received the RFE for this test. So I went to a surgeon in New Jersey and had only the TB skin test done. Will this be a problem as the rest of the test was done by a different surgeon in Chicago??

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_tbtest.html

USCIS RFEs Request Skin Test for TB
©MurthyDotCom
There recently have been many reports of the USCIS sending Requests for Evidence (RFEs) for tuberculosis skin tests. These were generated because the doctors in these cases used x-ray only examinations for TB, rather than skin tests as part of the physical examination. TB is comparatively rare in the U.S. and more common in India and several other countries. Under the regulations, the USCIS is correct in insisting upon a skin test.
©MurthyDotCom