PD: 02/98, EB2, India
RD: 01/00, ND: 01/00, FP: 04/16/01
RFE: 05/07/01

I haven\'t received the RFE notice yet.
Who receives RFE? me or my Lawyer?
What do you think they would need?

Your help is appreciated.

No Title

The lawyer receives the RFE. It usually takes about 5 to 6 days to receive it. Usually, RFE\'s from VSC are for one or more of the following -

1. Employment Letter
2. Last 2 to 3 years Tax Returns (copy of 1040)
3. Last 2 to 3 years W-2\'s
4. Last 1 to 3 months pay stub

In case the birth certificates were missing or inadequate at the time of i-485 filing, INS also asks for it. Very rarely, they also ask to re-take the medical exam - usually resulting from a typo or missing information by the examining doctor. But, these cases are very unusual.

No Title

My lawyer gets ref for me, but he is very slow, I still have not got
it after my lawyer had it for two weeks. I am wondering once I get the ref, Can I directly sent doc required by ref. to INS at VSC, instead letting my lwayer sending it? Does INS at VSC accept the
doc. from me?

Thanks
Tied

No Title

Yes, you can send the RFE documents yourself if RFE is a simple request of say, pay stub, birth certificate etc. You will have about 60 days to respond RFE. 60 days from the day INS issued you RFE. If you do not respond in time, they will probably abandon your case. Response now!!!!

No Title

Unfortunately NO!! Unless you receive the original copy of the RFE, you cannot respond to it directly. The RFE response has to be accompanied with a bar code sticker that comes with the original RFE. The bar code is your Receipt # and without it your RFE response is not valid.

No Title

As RFE is mainly for Employment letter / Pay stubs / W2

Start preparing these thing in advance while RFE is in mail. Get employment letter from your employer now indicating the position, salary, job responsibilities and continued interest in hiring you. The format of the letter is somewhere on this board. I will try to look out for that message and send it to you.

Also make copies of your W2s / Pay stubs and keep it ready. The day lawyer receives RFE, you will know what they want. Just drive to lawyers office and give these details to him personally. I have seen, personally meeting slow lawyers make them act fast.

In any case you have 3 months to respond so dont worry. Other thing is you cannot / should not respond to the RFE. Firstly, you need original RFE letter and even if you have it, its better to go through lawyers as they will write nice covering letter for you.

These are my 2 cents

Vinayak