RFE for Special Alien Registration

siddisa

Registered Users (C)
All,

Here is my dilemma...I received a RFE to provide evidence that I have registered under the Special Alien Registration. I did not register since I believe Indian national do not need to register. However, I was born in Saudi Arabia. I checked the Special Registration guidelines and it says that citizen or national of certain countries need to register. I am neither a citizen or national of Saudi Arabia, so why is INS asking me info regarding Special Registration ?

!! Has anyone received such an RFE ? Please share your experience, especially what to do if you have not registered but they are asking info about it. What do I do ?!! It is too late to register, and even then how do I register if it does not apply to me. Any suggestion ?

siddisa
Receipt Date: Sept 2001
1 RFE : Aug 28 2002
2 RFE : May 13 2003

If you are an Indian citizen, you do not have to register. Write the BCIS explaining the situation. I assume that your parents were Indian citizens at the time of your birth, and that they were in Saudi when you were born. Attach documentation such as your and your parents passport copies. If you have a copy of the passport that was used when you were in Saudi, that would be great too.

This is my take and is not a legal opinion! :)

Thank you all for your advice. I will be working with my lawyer on the RFE to clarify the confusion. I will update the thread on how I go about it. In the meantime, if others are in the same boat as me and have suggestions/best approaches, please share them.

Regards,
siddisa

siddisa,

Any response from INS ? Did you have to go for SR ? I am now in a similary boat. Indian citizen but born in Qatar :(

Regards,
Ravi

Ravi,

My lawyer responded back stating that I have no ties to Saudi. He did so by doing a legal brief and composing an affidavit signed by me saying that I have nothing to do with Saudi. In the brief, he used arguments such as my short stay in Saudi, no dual citizenship for Indian nationals, etc. In the affidavit, I basically had to say things like I have no relations in Saudi, no property, no connections with political party, no family member is there, etc, and sign it.

Next, when INS receives it, they will transfer the case to a local office for an interview. That is the sad part, cause it further lengthens a painfully slow process.

The other approach would be to go to INS office and get yourself registered now. This is risky and may backfire, and my lawyer had advised against it. In hindsight, instead of petitioning and prolonging the application process, it would have been better to take the riskier approach. I cannot imagine the INS deporting in such cases, even though it has happened.

If you decide to go my lawyer's route, you will have to furnish proof showing no ties, such as parent's passport copies, educational records from outside the SR country, employment records, etc... basically more hassle.

I would be interested in knowing which route you took.

siddisa

siddisa,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I took the first approach corresponding via mail. Provided my parents passport and other letters from Indian Government about citizenship. Requested the Qatari Embassy to provide a letter stating their citizenship law but as expected no response. Still waiting for a response from BCIS.

Have you had any response yet ? You could email me using my member name at hotmail.com.

Thanks
Ravi

Just wanted to update on my case. I am glad to say that I received my approval notice. Only thing is that I changed my regular processing to premium process and voila! it got approved with in 12 days of paying that $1000 bucks !

Regards,
Qassim

ravi,
can u clarify on what got approved by paying $1000.
I am under the beleif that premium processing is not there for
-DJ
RD JAN 03,2002
ND JAN 08,2002
FP OCT 24,2002
AD ?
No RFE so far

Question for Ravi2Patel

Could you please elaborate on the premium processing process? I was not aware that I-485 applications could also go through premium processing.

Thanks in advance

sorry guys for the confusion. Mine was just an H1 extension that got approved through premium processing which costs an addition $1000.

ravi