RFE for NIW

yanl

Registered Users (C)
I got the following message from online and am wondering if it is so-called RFE. Is it a bad news? Is it possible that it was rejected? I am so nervous. I haven't recieved anything from mail yet.
"we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case. The notice explains in detail what additional material is needed. "

Yep, RFE.

There were one or two threads recently on NIW RFE's. Yours probably won't be any different from the stuff people usually get (keyword NYS-DOT)

yanl said:
I got the following message from online and am wondering if it is so-called RFE. Is it a bad news? Is it possible that it was rejected? I am so nervous. I haven't recieved anything from mail yet.
"we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case. The notice explains in detail what additional material is needed. "

can you please give some details about your background? did you hire an attorney or filed yourself?

yanl: It's good sign anyway! this is rather a chance for you to re-organize and strengthen your case than simple rejection. Good luck!

Yes, I had lawyer. I will contact her today. I am a statistician in a cancer research center studying childhood cancer. I had master degree and have worked for 4 years here. I have about 12 publications (but in most of them I was not first author). That' all. My documents were sent to Nabraska.

> yanl: It's good sign anyway!

Like a toothache is a good sign, after all you can finally get your tooth fixed.

This is a good sign:
This case has been approved. On August xx, 2004, an approval notice was mailed.

Anything else on a I140 is a not so good sign.

NIW RFEs all seem to be the same. They poke you with their three-pronged NYS-DOT pitchfork in the hope that one of the prongs will stick.

Without having prophetic powers, your RFE will go something like this:

Childrens Cancer research:
--Intrinsic Merit: check
--National Scope: check
--Proof that LC would adversely affect 'national interest': fail

Be sure to have the best RFE reply money can buy. If you are a statistician, everybody in your research institution needs you, this is a good bargaining chip. Be sure to enlist support from you PI and if possible the chairman/director of the hospital/cancer institute you are working for.

Good luck !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your encouragements, guys. It's just so painful. I had waited for 15 months for this results. Hopefully they did ask for some tricky requests or proofs.
I will let you know once I get the information from my attorney. Meantimes, any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you so much for your encouragements, guys. It's just so painful. I had waited for 15 months for this results. Hopefully they didn't ask for some tricky requests or proofs.
I will let you know once I get the information from my attorney. Meantimes, any suggestion will be appreciated.

yanl said:
Thank you so much for your encouragements, guys. It's just so painful. I had waited for 15 months for this results. Hopefully they didn't ask for some tricky requests or proofs.

Yanl, Keep your cool! But be prepared to arrange several strong recommendation letters to support your petition.

As Hadron has mentioned USCIS takes in to account following three important factors while adjudicating NIW cases: (i)Intrinsic Merit, (ii)National Scope (iii) Proof that LC would adversely affect 'national interest'. A strong NIW petition should cover all above three points in details. If you miss even one of those points, you are prone to rfe. Further in NIW cases once RFE comes, situation becomes much more complicated. This is in sharp contrast to EB1-EA cases, where even after RFE approval rate remains quite high. I think this difference is mostly because of the much larger number of NIW applications (mainly due to low going economy, job cuts and H1B1 quota reduction) compared to EB1 cases.

Moreover, in NIW cases it is really a question of debate whether one should hire an attorney. No attorney can make a stonger NIW petition than you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
yanl said:
have u received rfe now? what does it say? please share with us.