RFE - DO Birth

dodital

Registered Users (C)
Most of us applying for GC now were born around the time when births were not automatically recorded by local govt. Most of us may have gone the affidavit way to sort this out. I just read that for some members the affidavit did not work and they had to get some kind of document from the Government/ Consulate.

I just read Murthy's detaile bulletin and it seems that new recruits may have a proclivity to issue more RFEs than more experienced ones.

Having already waited 4.5 years, on this issue I am just trying to be proactive because getting any documents from the govt may take ages.

Can anyone please explain the procedure and format of the DOB cert/ letter issued by the Govt/ Consulate?

RD - 1/17/02
EAD renewed - 3/13/03

in our case...

i am not sure, if my answer below will help you.. just sharing the info...

I was born in a town in T.N., India and didn't have a proper birth certificate issued by the municipality. When I applied for G.C, I informed the municipality of the hospital where I was born and the date and time of my birth by my parents (and there were 2 longtime family friends who attested my birth to the municipality)
The municipality issued me a birth certificate in 2000 and I used the same for my GC. So far no issues/RFE, I-485 pending...

In my wife's case, she had a different name at the time of birth. Her birth certificate was with that name. Then, she had subsequently changed her name and her passport and all other docs were in the new name. When she applied for GC (as a dependent with me), we tried to get a birth certificate with the new name. But, the municipality declined to issue a new one with a different name (stating that a record already exists for her with a old name). Then, we published her new name (as a replacement to the old one) in the >>>>> ****** Goverment of India/State Government of T.N/ Official Gazette ****** <<<<<. The gazette publication has her D-O-B, Place of Birth, spouse name, parents name, etc. When we applied for GC, we used the original birth certificate (with the old name) and the gazette publication which was for the new name. Her I-485 is also pending, no issues so far...

As a backup, we have acquired 5 notarized affidavits from our family friends (for each one of us) and have it ready, just in case an RFE turns up for D-O-B.

All the best!

visit this link...

http://www.indianconsulate-sf.org/

Click on consular services, there are requirements for birth cert request.

NOTE: Just check with your attorney, if BCIS would accept D-O-B certificates issued by consulate. In my case, attornery said INS wouldn't accept such certs.

All the best!

Thanks very much Venu for sharing your experience.

I have already applied for I-485 based on affidavits of relatives and my attorney says nothing else is required. But it is not his application and if they send an RFE pertaining to DOB, he will just pass it to me.

My post was prompted after I read that someone got an RFE because they went the affidavit route for DOB.

Hello Shantanu- I wish B...S would accept any chit issued by a municipality.

Vinay

The people who have got the so called "Birth Certificate" looks like a chit...
whether BCIS likes / not that is 'our' DOB certi.

BCIS has to have complete docs for them to cover... thats it
They are not going all the way to India........ to verify that.

BTW Venu. Getting the Birth Cert was a smart move. Since you already have a proper DOB cert I don't think you will need to use the notarized affidavits.

I believe applications based on affidavits prompt RFE. which could be the case with me.

Vinay

Shantanu bhaisaab- looks like I started off on the wrong foot by submitting affidavits, based on my attorney's advice. The affidavit clearly states "no records available since briths were not automatically recorded by local govt." Gertting a cert now will look suspicious and shit business will become quite obvious.

just in case...

my D-O-B was issued, decades after my actual birth.

my wife's has a different name altogther in the original D-O-B.

so, wanted to have the affidavits on hand, just in case.

lets hope for the best,

venu.