RFE - AC21 - Layoff < 180 days

Originally posted by mavishka
waytoolong and tammy2, thanks for your response.

Our attorney seems to be taking forever to come up with the RFE response. Kinda getting impatient and frustrated.

try to push your attorney to hurry up - if you delay for more than a month in your reply then your application go to the end of the line and will delay approval. It is possible that your attorney has no experience with AC21 or is just plain incompetent. You should call him/her up and specifically ask how they plan to reply to the RFE and how they plan to explain your eligibility. If you hear any vague answers and lackof confidence in your case, I suggest you start calling reputed law firms with experience in AC21. This is a very crucial stage in your life - a incompetent lawyer can very easily screw it up and you will have no resort left.

If you check my post above, you will see that I have had experience with such incompetence before.

Last edited by a moderator:
waytoolong:

The attorney seems to be good. It's his paralegal that I'm not too confident about. She said that she has drafted the response letter and is waiting for the attorney to review. I don't know whether he has dealt with AC21 cases in the past but from the cover letters that have accompanied our previous applications, he seems to be very competent. In fact, they're one of the best drafted cover letters I've seen, hence we decided to go with him. Also, he's been very courteous and forthcoming all along. Let's hope we can send out our response sometime next week.

Thanks.

Originally posted by mavishka
We are in the process of finalizing the RFE response. Our attorney has some concerns about layoff before 180 days after filing 485 (485 RD 02/2002, Layoff in 06/2002).

My understanding is that the time of leaving or being laid off from the sponsoring company does not matter as long as the 485 is pending for more than 180 days when the case comes up for adjudication. Can the experts confirm whether this is correct?

Are there any folks here who were approved under similar circumstances or know of friends/relatives?

Thanks in advance.

yes, I had got laid off in 2 months...my previous attorney did not support me and said my GC would be revoked but the I changed lawyer...contacted sheela murthy law firm and got approval within 2 weeks of RFE response.

Hope you get it soon too..........don't trust these lawyers who say that you are in trouble if you r laid off in <180 days....contact a good lawyer.

Originally posted by waytoolong
- if you delay for more than a month in your reply then your application go to the end of the line and will delay approval.

I had responded to RFE after 2 months of getting issued and got approval in 2 weeks.....so it doesn't happen all the time.

485GCCase, thanks for the info and good wishes.

Congrats! to you. Best of Luck with everything else now that the GC headache is gone.

Fellow members, those of you who were laid off less than 180 days after filing 485, received an RFE and were subsequently approved, could you please post your experiences here?

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate your input.

Anybody who was laid off less than 180 days after filing 485, who received an RFE and was subsequently approved, could you please post your experiences here?

Thanks.

It doesn't matter even if you get laid off within 180 days provided INS does not approve your case before 6 months.

Anybody out there with approval after RFE with lay off < 180 days

sam99 said:
It doesn't matter even if you get laid off within 180 days provided INS does not approve your case before 6 months.

I agree, but just want to get a feel for how similar cases have been processed.

Thanks.