Returning to U.S. without Plastic Card is Really a Hassle

ann2002

When we had a vacation in Europe and then back to U.S a while ago., it was really hassle to re-enter U.S. We had not received physical Green Card yet from NSC, after 7 months. We only had passport stamping. The port official asked, "why don\'t you have actual card?" He sounded like he did not know how INS works. It take up to one year to receive a card!!!

The he asked my wife and I to wait in a room for further examination. He did not come back right away but only after half hour later, until he finished processing all other travelers. Then he went to checked the computer. Finally he came back and said we ere OK and could go! It took totally one hour of our time! We missed the connected plane and had to spent a night at a nearly hotel and caught a next morning plane!

Do port officier not know that stamping also valid? That stamping filled with HAND WRITTEN notes is quite normal? Port officiers do not work for INS and do not know INS situation there? I am an Asian.

After that event, at first, I abandon the idea of further going to Canadian for vacation due to concern of re-entering US hassle. But then again, I think, so what? I am going out of U.S. again. I don\'t mind hassle waiting at re-entering port. I need freedom to go anywhere I want to. I love freedom. So what? I no longer worry about hassle.

No Title

OneAndOnly,

If you have something positive to post do so. Otherwise keep your dirty dog\'s mouth completely shut at all times. It reeks!

No Title

Ann: Could you have asked the officer to request INS to expedite your card? I mean, so long he/she was checking the computer for your records, couldn\'t he/she have requested the card sent?

No Title

INS inspectors at a POE have no control over the processing of your plastic card (same as a postal clerk in FL has no control over when a local mail carrier in San Francisco might deliver a letter you sent yesterday from Miami.. He may give you a more or less accurate guess, but the EXACT time).

As of the airport inspections... The current INS policy is that all AP\'s and temporary I-551 stamp holders should undergo a so called secondary inspection. It normally takes about 20-30 minutes, but, obviously in your case was longer.. It\'s a bit surprising that the office seemed unaware that the plastic may take up to a year to arrive -- but, again, to err is human. By the way, your connection time was kind of tight -- most airlines wouldn\'t even let you purchase tickets for international flights if the connection time between any two legs of the trip is less than 2.5 hours. Just out of curiousity -- what airport did you fly into?

this is normal

I had to undergo secondary check with temporary stamp and is a routine process
in fact just got back yesterday fwith the plastic card and was subject to questioning at the airport, how long have you been out, when did you get the card,, how did you get the card ,,where are you working now
so be patient and don\'t complain
how is the immigration handled in your country of origin,,do you go go vent at them when they harass you
cheers