Returning to Canada after getting TN status

tn43

If I get the TN status approved at the border can i return back to canada immediately/ or on the same day to take care of selling things and then bringing the family via flight a few weeks later ?

Generally, yes. But technically you are supposed to be applying for TN "on your way to work", but I have not seen this applied rigorously at the border. Does your letter specify a start date (it is best that it not).

Thanks Nelsona for the quickly reply.

My employer is still preparing the offer letter and I guess the start date will be mentioned. A couple of follow up questions.

1) After getting the TN status and when re entering US after a few weeks do we still need to go for interviews or carry all the original documents?
2) How can i apply for TN and TD for my family at the same time ?
3) Do i need to book an appointment for the initial interview ?
4) Is Land crossing better than airport pre clearance for the CBP interview ?

1. No
2. You have them cross the border any time during or after you get your TN with proof of marriage/birth certs.
3. No
4. Land crossing has no time pressure if there are questions. PFI at airport requires you to arrive very early to pass interview and take your flight (you must be flying to US).

Thanks much.

Am planning to take the spouse, kids along for the initial interview, cross the border if successful,stay for a few days and return to Canada.

Later sell all things, including car and then fly via Pearson a few weeks or months later with the TN and TD status obtained from prior.

Hope there should be no issues.

If I get the TN status approved at the border can i return back to canada immediately/ or on the same day to take care of selling things and then bringing the family via flight a few weeks later ?
I spoke to an agent there is no law to restrict the flagpole. but often you know its the discretion of the officer the next time you enter..

I spoke to an agent there is no law to restrict the flagpole. but often you know its the discretion of the officer the next time you enter..
Thanks. So even after obtaining TN status there is always the possibility of the CBP agent denying entry every time we cross the border!

They *could*, but are unlikely to un-approve a TN that a fellow CBP officer approved. It is the TNs obtained thru USCIS (by I-129) that risk denial (on the first entry) by CBP. You will only know this the first time you cross with your petition

But nothing that auto_art said implied future denial. This was simply address whether a petition (not a re-entry) would get entry if not going directly to work.

They *could*, but are unlikely to un-approve a TN that a fellow CBP officer approved. It is the TNs obtained thru USCIS (by I-129) that risk denial (on the first entry) by CBP. You will only know this the first time you cross with your petition

But nothing that auto_art said implied future denial. This was simply address whether a petition (not a re-entry) would get entry if not going directly to work.
Thanks nelsona for the clarification!