Return to the U.S. on H-1 after emergency visit to India

Vatson

My friend had to go to India as his father expired yesterday (Jan 21st). He has a H-1 Visa stamp till 2006 from his previous job. He needs to return on the 14th of Feb 2005 as he got only 3 weeks leave. Does he have to go to the U.S. consulate in India for a stamping for his new job or can he just return on his old visa? If he has to go to the consulate, there is no appointment available for the next 2 months. What is the best thing he can do?? Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Vatson said:
My friend had to go to India as his father expired yesterday (Jan 21st). He has a H-1 Visa stamp till 2006 from his previous job. He needs to return on the 14th of Feb 2005 as he got only 3 weeks leave. Does he have to go to the U.S. consulate in India for a stamping for his new job or can he just return on his old visa? If he has to go to the consulate, there is no appointment available for the next 2 months. What is the best thing he can do?? Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks in advance.

If his old visa is valid, then he can definitely return back to India. Logically, it really makes so sense that the immigration officials would question your friend about the old visa.

Furthermore, once I was in such a situation and I consulted my lawyer and he said there wouldnt be any problems in coming back to US with the old visa AS LONG AS it remains valid.

Vatson said:

sry....I meant returning back to US....not India

From Murthy's chat:

Sorry to hear about your friends father ..

From Murthy's chat: (carry your new H1B approval notice with you)

Read the Q and A about "safe to travel outside the U.S. without AP with a pending, concurrently filed I-40/I-485 and pending fingerprinting and having a valid H1B visa and status"

=============
http://www.murthy.com/print/ch011005_P.html
=============

Last edited by a moderator: