Return to Canada

jackjbaker

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I have been out of Canada for almost a year now and I am planning to come back to Canada in few weeks.
I am also planning to tell the immigration office about the fact that I have been out for almost a year when s/he ask me.

Do you think this will be a problem?

Thanks

Returning to Canada

Hello Friend,

I am a Landed immigrant in Canada. For the last 3 years, I am working in US. When I went back to Canada(Monreal), I have been asked by the Customs officer, 'When was the last time, I entered Canada?'. Ofcourse, I wrote it in the customs form. He immidiately refered me to Immigration.

After standing in a lane for 15 minutes, I was called by an Immigration officer. And the lady was very helpful. But asked me questions like,
- Where do I live?
- Why did I not inform, Canadian immigration about work status in US?
- Etc.,

I work for a company, which has plants in Canada. I told her, that my works calls for traveling back and forth to CA. And I am going to come back to canada very soon and my status in US is temparory.

She wanted me to show a letter from Canadian plant of ours. And I showed some letter from US plant, which basically was stating, I have to travel between the US & Canada.

Finally, she asked, When am I going to come back to canada? I told her a date. And she has entered that in the system.

Overall, I don't think, they will give you any trouble.

Only suggestion is that you should have a story ready, and stick with it.

Good Luck..

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I think I'll tell the custom/immigration the truth, which is I have been out for almost a year working in the middle east for lack of jobs in Canada.
The law gives me 3 years out of 5 and I have been out for 1 year only so I should be fine!

Is this fine? Do you think I am in the safe side?

Thanks all for the help and support.