Return Postage for OCI application

calneel007

I am wondering whether I should pay $20 (Express mail) postage fee when I submit the OCI application and again $20 when I send my original US passport.

Why did you get that type of thought?

Its pretty clear that you need to send only $20 for return postage along with OCI application and OCI fee, nothing else.

I am wondering whether I should pay $20 (Express mail) postage fee when I submit the OCI application and again $20 when I send my original US passport.

You need to send $20 for return postage for your stamped PP + OCI booklet after your OCI is granted when you send in your original US PP for stamping. My personal suggestion (and what I did) would be to not send any more money (to avoid any mixups at the consulate) than the $275 application fee as it will not speed up the process (well, you will save money on the MO fee, the amount will differ greatly from $3 to $0.75 depending on where you get the MO from) and you will need to send your US PP for stamping anyways, so why send the $20 before hand. So, when you are ready to get your PP stamped, send $20 (postage) + printout of online status + US PP + cover letter listing the items you are sending including the MO number and OCI file number.

You need to send $20 for return postage for your stamped PP + OCI booklet after your OCI is granted when you send in your original US PP for stamping. My personal suggestion (and what I did) would be to not send any more money (to avoid any mixups at the consulate) than the $275 application fee as it will not speed up the process (well, you will save money on the MO fee, the amount will differ greatly from $3 to $0.75 depending on where you get the MO from) and you will need to send your US PP for stamping anyways, so why send the $20 before hand. So, when you are ready to get your PP stamped, send $20 (postage) + printout of online status + US PP + cover letter listing the items you are sending including the MO number and OCI file number.

Respectfully disagree.
1) If you get MO from your bank, it would be free
2) If you don't have that, you may get MO from Walmart for 60 cents for $295
3) Sending return postage fee with OCI application will not confuse them, rather help them.
4) If you send only $275 with OCI application and do not send either the return postage fee or prepaid postage envelop, then you are at risk of receiving your application back without being processed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for your kind inputs, sam012007 and redbaron. It appears that you have two interpretations that I was confused about.

Sam012007, what did you do personally? Did you send only your foreign passport (WITHOUT any return postage) to the consulate/embassy for the U-visa sticker, and nothing else?

Redbaron, did you get your passport back with U-visa? Nothing seems to be for granted with Indian consulate :)

Thanks a lot for your kind inputs, sam012007 and redbaron. It appears that you have two interpretations that I was confused about.

Sam012007, what did you do personally? Did you send only your foreign passport (WITHOUT any return postage) to the consulate/embassy for the U-visa sticker, and nothing else?

Redbaron, did you get your passport back with U-visa? Nothing seems to be for granted with Indian consulate :)

Yes, I sent my US Passport without any return postage, since I sent the OCI Fee along with return postage, a MO of $295 ($275+$20) with my OCI application. I did receive my passports back without any issues.

You don't need to pay more than $295 and I recommend you to send it with OCI application and not wait for it if you don't want to risk your application status.

as far my understanding is concern, when you send your OCI application you need to send $275.00 along with the copies of your cancelld Indian passport/ copy of your US passport/ copy of the certificate of surrendering Indian passport and forms.
Once your case is approved, you need to send ORIGINAL US passport and the return service fees.
i could not undersatnd why at first point when only photo copies (self attested) and fees ($275.00) are going to the Consulate, one should include the return postal service fees of $20.00, there is nothing to get back from consulate at this first step. Please any one can make it clear to me.Thanks

Yes, I got my PP back with the U-Visa without any issues. I would like add some comments to sam012007's comments. (see below in blue italics)

1) If you get MO from your bank, it would be free - my bank charged me $3, if your bank did not then good for you.
2) If you don't have that, you may get MO from Walmart for 60 cents for $295 - my information may not have been accurate, if one can get the MO for 60 cents, then good.
3) Sending return postage fee with OCI application will not confuse them, rather help them. -
I can't think of any way that this would necessarily help them, but it may help them. My comment was based on my experience and the pain that I have yet to go through to get my money back (another story)
4) If you send only $275 with OCI application and do not send either the return postage fee or prepaid postage envelop, then you are at risk of
receiving your application back without being processed. - I disagree but I need to be more clear. The instructions still say the same (since the time I got my OCI a month ago) "Application Fee is US$ 275 per applicant. A separate fee of US$ 20 for return mailing is also charged (this mailing charge can be sent at the time of collection of OCI documents)" and that the money is "not refundable". Also, the web page "OCI - ARRIVAL DETAILS OF CARD" instructs what I did for obtaining my stamped PP.

The clarification I am referring to in item 4) above is the new requirement from the consulate (after I had already mailed my US PP for stamping along with the postage fee as per instructions on the web page "OCI - ARRIVAL DETAILS OF CARD") that the one must send the return postage fee of $20 along with the application which is what sam012007 is referring to. If the consulate is following this requirement through, then why do they still have the instructions otherwise on that web page.
If sam012007 obtained his/her stamped PP by following the new requirement then I am glad for him/her that it was painless. I obtained my stamped PP by following the old procedure. Now did they make an exception in my case? I think not.

Anyway, to answer your question calneel007, I would keep my fingers crossed whichever route you go.

Redbaron, calneel007,
I believe this conversation started with knowing who belong to which consulates, I know Sam belongs to DC consulate and they want all fees upfront and nothing to send along with US PP stamping and personal visit not allowed for stamping. Like for NY they have pretty good options of sending return envelop with different price stamp or courier fee $20 or visit personally for stamping with your US PP. I didn't spend much time on other consulate options so I don't know.

Calneel007 as per you inital question you need to pay only once for the return postage if personal visit is not allowed and check the thread for the consulate you belong to for more information.

Redbaron - You are lucky your bank charged only $3 for MO/Cashiers check my bank was asking $7 for cashier's check. But this is definately true WALMART charges only 0.60 for MO upto $1000 and above that you need to pay another $0.60 cents, I did buy this personally for my application (family of 4).