Retrogression Expected in Fall 07

labor_headache

Registered Users (C)
We are hearing from every where that despite forward movement in June 2007 belletin, PDs might retrogress again in Fall 2007 (October timeframe). What is the basis for this expectation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever files I485 in June most likely won't get response before the end of September. They will roll over to the next fiscal year.

There will be a flood of I-485s filed in the next few months. Most won't be approved before October, so there will be retrogression of everything (except maybe EB1) in October to stop from adding more to the pile while they work on the filed cases. But I don't expect it will be back to where it was earlier this year.

No wonder if they work in reverse process. i.e make all the dates current.
Since earlier 2005 Oct we were thinking the dates will jump forward but it went the other way.

So guys this is all speculation. There is something already pre-determined in USCIS and it is in their Memory(May be they have atleast 2GB).

Cut-Off date moving fwd.

I am a new user... not sure if this is the right thread for my question. So please forgive if you think this is the wrong place.

My priority dt is July 01, 2003. Do you guys think there is a reasonable chance that the cut-off dates will move forward to or beyond July 01, 03 in the next month or so ? Would it make sense to have the medical examinations done just in case ? I am just concerned about the cost of going thru all and then not being able to file.

Any comments are welcome.

PS: I might post the same question in another related thread.

Which category/country are you?

The medical is valid for 12 months. They won't accept it if it is already older than that when you file the I-485, but once you file it they are likely to consider it valid until your case is decided. So get the medical if you think your PD will become current within the next 12 months. I did my medical about 7 months before filing my I-485.

There will be a flood of I-485s filed in the next few months. Most won't be approved before October, so there will be retrogression of everything (except maybe EB1) in October to stop from adding more to the pile while they work on the filed cases. But I don't expect it will be back to where it was earlier this year.
Jack (and other old member who are active),
what would prevent them from moving the dates for EB3 India (and other categories) to say June 2004 in the next bulletin .. I understand that there will be a bigger flood ..but what difference does it make to them ..benefit to us would be that we could get EAD ..they get more money because of yearly extensions ..
I guess there is some guideline which prevents them from doing the above and I am trying to understand that ..
in next few months BEC should have handled all the cases till say 2004 june ..

Which category/country are you?

The medical is valid for 12 months. They won't accept it if it is already older than that when you file the I-485, but once you file it they are likely to consider it valid until your case is decided. So get the medical if you think your PD will become current within the next 12 months. I did my medical about 7 months before filing my I-485.

Thanks Jackolantern.
India - EB3 - PD:July 01, 2003.
What are my chances?

Thanks Jackolantern.
India - EB3 - PD:July 01, 2003.
What are my chances?
Nobody knows what will happen, but you are close enough to being current that you should start gathering your hard-to-find papers and get your medical done. You don't want to be in a situation where your date becomes current in September, then retrogresses in October and you weren't able to file the 485 in September because your stuff wasn't ready yet.

Nobody knows what will happen, but you are close enough to being current that you should start gathering your hard-to-find papers and get your medical done. You don't want to be in a situation where your date becomes current in September, then retrogresses in October and you weren't able to file the 485 in September because your stuff wasn't ready yet.

Exactly.....nobody knows what will happen in the next bulletin. Could move forward or backwards. Just do whatever you can so that you can submit your papers in asap.

Hi,

I'd like to ask a question also. I'm new to this site and not sure if I need to start a new thread?

My husbands PD is August 2005, the attorney for the company he works for will probably let us know what we need to do, but I'm playing it safe and want to act in advance. I'm trying to learn the ways by reading through the forums. My question is do we need to wait for the attorney to tell us what to do or can we get our medical checks done before hand.

I'm also concerned because we are going on holiday out of the US and have purchased tickets. Will be gone for 6 weeks and if the date becomes current my concern is being late to file. The attorney is handling things but I really don't want to miss the boat and get stuck in retrogression again. Thinking about cancelling our plans but not sure what to do....

Any thoughts...?? Would appreciate any input.

Many thanks..

hello Jackolantern,
my pd is 14 july 07, please can u tell me where i should go to do my medicals and what papers to carry with me so theywill do my medical, just incase my PD becomes current. Your advise will be highly appreciared.

Here is the article from Murthy.com about EB2/EB3 movements and future predictions:
http://www.murthy.com/news/n_bulmov.html

June 2007 Visa Bulletin : EB2 and EB3 Movement!
Posted May 18, 2007
©MurthyDotCom
After a long period of backlogged dates in the Visa Bulletin, we are pleased to report to MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers that the June 2007 Visa Bulletin contains wonderful news for many. There was significant forward movement in the cutoff dates for India and China in the employment-based, second preference (EB2) category. The employment-based, third preference (EB3) category cutoff dates jumped forward considerably for all countries, including India and China, moving the dates forward by about two years across the board. This means that many people will be able to file their I-485 Adjustment of Status (AOS) cases and that many pending I-485 / AOS cases are potentially eligible for approval while the dates remain current. [The most recent Visa Bulletin chart is always available to our readers on MurthyDotCom.]
©MurthyDotCom
Our Role in this Change
©MurthyDotCom
Visa cutoff dates are set based upon expectations of demand for the numbers. If the anticipated demand is higher than what is experienced in reality, there is a chance that numbers will not be used by the end of the year. These numbers end up being wasted under current laws, unless there is some change in the law that allows for them to be recouped at a later time. Attorneys from the Murthy Law Firm discussed issues related to overestimation of demand for visa numbers with the Department of State (DOS), as reported in our April 27, 2007 MurthyBulletin article Visa Number Movement Expected for India and China, available on MurthyDotCom. The issues raised were considered, among other factors and research undertaken to revise the estimates of demand, resulting in the forward movement of visa dates as seen in the June 2007 Visa Bulletin.
©MurthyDotCom
Employment-Based First Preference (EB1)
©MurthyDotCom
The EB1 category remains current for all countries of chargeability in June 2007.
©MurthyDotCom
Employment-Based Second Preference (EB2)
©MurthyDotCom
The EB2 category is also current for all countries of chargeability, except for China and India. The cutoff date for China moved forward by almost nine months, to January 1, 2006. India's cutoff date moved forward by more than a year; to April 1, 2004. This is very good news for many of our readers.
©MurthyDotCom
Employment-Based Third Preference (EB3)
©MurthyDotCom
In EB3, all countries of chargeability continue to have cutoff dates. All of the chargeability categories, however, saw forward movement by approximately two years. While there are still many people with priority dates that are after the new cutoff dates, this change will mean that many people will be able to file I-485/AOS or process for immigrant visas at the consulate.
©MurthyDotCom
The cutoff date for worldwide and the Philippines in the EB3 category will be June 1, 2005. For China, India, and Mexico the new cutoff date is June 1, 2003.
©MurthyDotCom
Other Worker Category
©MurthyDotCom
The EB3 Other Worker category was previously unavailable, and was expected to remain so. It is now at October 1, 2001 for a brief period. It is expected, however, to return to unavailable in July 2007.
©MurthyDotCom
Employment-Based Fourth (EB4) / Fifth / Religious Workers and Targeted Employment (EB5)
©MurthyDotCom
The EB4, EB5, religious workers, and the targeted employment categories are all current.
©MurthyDotCom
Translators
©MurthyDotCom
This EB4 subcategory for Iraqi or Afghani nationals who have worked with the U.S. Armed Forces as translators continues to have a September 18, 2006 cutoff date.
©MurthyDotCom
Predictions for July / August 2007
©MurthyDotCom
The DOS stated that there could be additional advances in the cutoff dates in the upcoming months. This will allow many people to file their I-485/AOS cases. Once the USCIS starts to act on those cases and creates demand for the visa numbers (a visa number is assigned when an I-485 is approved), the cutoff dates will have to be adjusted. This adjustment will mean that the dates will likely move backward. The DOS could not offer a prediction of when this might occur, however.
©MurthyDotCom
What this Means : File by June 30, 2007
©MurthyDotCom
These forward movements in the dates mean that many people will now be eligible to file their I-485/AOS cases or move forward with consular processing for immigrant visas. The visa cutoff dates discussed are for June 2007. Therefore, cases based upon these cutoff dates cannot be filed until June 1, 2007. The dates are valid at least through the end of June. Thus, the deadline for filing under the June Visa Bulletin is June 30, 2007. If the dates remain unchanged or move forward in the July Visa Bulletin, then there will be additional time to file these cases during July 2007. So it will depend on the movement of dates.
©MurthyDotCom
There is no need to file on June 1, 2007, nor is there any advantage in terms of visa numbers in filing on June 1st. This does not work like the H1B cap, which required everyone to rush to file on the first day of filing. For I-485 cases, it is better not to rush unnecessarily in order to file at the beginning of June. Rather, take the time that is needed to make sure the case is complete and proper. Then, one may file at any time on or before June 30, 2007, unless the dates continue to be current during July, also.
©MurthyDotCom
As explained above, the June 30, 2007 timeframe could potentially be pushed back further, if the cutoff dates either move forward or remain unchanged for July 2007. Until the July Visa Bulletin is issued in mid-June 2007, however, this factor remains an unknown and no one should assume that s/he will be able to file after June 30th.
©MurthyDotCom
Travel Planned for Summer 2007?
©MurthyDotCom
One important point about I-485 filings is that it is necessary to be physically in the U.S. in order to file. Many may have travel plans for the summer months of June and/or July. That travel may interfere with the ability to file the I-485, thus, it may be necessary to reschedule one's travel or s/he may risk losing this chance to file the I-485. The same also applies to dependant spouses and children. Sometimes spouses and children spend extended periods abroad during the summer. It may be necessary to bring the spouse and any other family member back to the U.S. in order to file their I-485s. Of course, these spouses and children have to be eligible for this travel within a dual intent category, like the H-4 or L-2 status, in order to enter the U.S. with the intention to file the I-485. The only exception is if, by the mid-June release of the next Visa Bulletin, it is clear that we have the month of July to file, these family members could remain abroad for a few extra weeks.
©MurthyDotCom
Movement of Dates is Likely Temporary
©MurthyDotCom
While this forward movement is a tremendous relief to many, it is most likely only a temporary situation. The DOS is only relaxing the constraints a little, in an effort to make sure that all visa numbers are utilized during this fiscal year, which ends Sep 30, 2007. It does not represent any overall fix or improvement to the retrogression problem. It will allow many people to file their I-485/AOS cases, however. This will open opportunities for those individuals. It will allow others to obtain approvals of their pending I-485/AOS cases and consular processing cases.
©MurthyDotCom
Conclusion
©MurthyDotCom
Since this reprieve with the movement of immigrant visa numbers is expected to be brief and temporary, it does not help many who have cases that are also quite old - for example, it does not cover EB3 nationals of India for the last half of 2003 through the present. We at the Murthy Law Firm still believe that a larger, legislative fix is needed; so that the visa number allocations match the actual need U.S. employers have for foreign workers. We urge our readership, employers and employees alike, to write their congressional representatives [sample letters are available from AILA through MurthyDotCom at (http://www.murthy.com/news/n_caneac.html)] to request that they address this problem for the long term.

hello Jackolantern,
my pd is 14 july 07, please can u tell me where i should go to do my medicals and what papers to carry with me so theywill do my medical, just incase my PD becomes current. Your advise will be highly appreciared.
You need to make an appointment with a "Designated Civil Surgeon". Go to this link to find one in your area.

https://egov.immigration.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

You need to bring all your immunization records with you... whatever you can find will help to reduce the number of shots the doctor will give you. The shots could take a number of weeks depending on what shots you need, because some shots can't all be given in one day.

You should also print a copy of the I-693 form and fill out the part that you are supposed to fill out (doctor fills in the rest so leave it blank).

You need to make an appointment with a "Designated Civil Surgeon". Go to this link to find one in your area.

https://egov.immigration.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

You need to bring all your immunization records with you... whatever you can find will help to reduce the number of shots the doctor will give you. The shots could take a number of weeks depending on what shots you need, because some shots can't all be given in one day.

You should also print a copy of the I-693 form and fill out the part that you are supposed to fill out (doctor fills in the rest so leave it blank).

Thanks a lot, your information was very helpful

Dear jackolantern,
One more question, do i need to have medical reports amd records ready during my filing of Greenm card or is it required at the interview of green card, Can I apply for I-485 with our medical reports.
Thanks.

hello Jackolantern,

bandookwala,
you did not say which country you are from ..how come yr PD is 14/july/07 ?? is it july/06 ? if from India EB2 ..or EB3 then dont assume that you will become current. in that case you may want to wait for your medicals since it is valid only for 12 months ..

Dear jackolantern,
One more question, do i need to have medical reports amd records ready during my filing of Greenm card or is it required at the interview of green card, Can I apply for I-485 with our medical reports.
Thanks.
You can file the I-485 without the medical, but then USCIS will send you an RFE about it which could delay things. So it's better to have done it up front. You bring the records to the designated doctor, not the interview.

But please clarify your country and priority date. If your PD is really in 2007, you can't expect to be able to file the 485 anytime soon (although it's not impossible) unless you are from ROW or in EB1.