retrogression...a PLEA FOR HELP to Congress

applying4gc

Registered Users (C)
This is a letter template from the AILA website (action alert). The McCain-Kennedy bill directly addresses the retrogression.

Please disseminate this letter template to your congressmen, senators, US president, media, friends and family who are directly affected by the retrogression.

We have to help each other in this monumental crisis.
-------------------------------------------
Support the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005, S. 1033/H.R. 2330(Congress)

I urge you to support the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005 (H.R. 2330). This bill offers the necessary fix to our broken immigration system: comprehensive reform that combines tough enforcement measures with rational laws that make sense in today's world. This bipartisan and bicameral measure seeks to transform
our immigration system into one that is safe, legal, controlled and orderly. It would:

Fix Our Broken Borders: This bill would create a much needed national strategy for border security and enhanced border intelligence. Such initiatives are aimed at deterring those who mean to do us harm but still allow for the orderly, controlled flow of goods and people.

Create a "Break-the-Mold" Essential Worker Program: This bill would create a workable temporary worker program that would decrease illegal immigration by matching willing workers with willing employers and creating a legal avenue for people to enter the U.S. and return, as many wish, to their countries, communities, and families. Among other provisions, this program would provide the necessary visas, allow workers to change jobs, set forth employer obligations, provide labor protections and an enforcement scheme to deal with program violations, and allow people to earn their permanent residency if they would not displace a U.S. worker.

Allow People Who Are Here the Opportunity to Earn their Adjustment: This measure would give undocumented immigrants currently in the U.S. who work hard, pay taxes, are learning English, and pass security clearances the opportunity to earn their permanent residency. This measure also includes strict fines and penalties for those already in this country and tough punishments for employers who hire undocumented workers. It would mandate the creation of a secure identification document and an employment eligibility confirmation system so employers will know that people seeking work are here legally.

Reunify Families: This bill would clear out the long backlogs in family-based immigration that keep close family members separated, some for up to twenty years. Such long separations make no sense in our pro-family nation, reflect poorly on us, and ultimately encourage illegal immigration.

I urge you to support the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005 (H.R. 2330). By tackling the tough issues, it would address the problems that have long plagued our current immigration system and help make us more secure.

I am not sure how this bill addresses retrogression.
a quick-fix solution to retrogression is re-capture of unused numbers during the past few years. however, this bill does not mention such issue.

applying4gc said:
This is a letter template from the AILA website (action alert). The McCain-Kennedy bill directly addresses the retrogression.

Please disseminate this letter template to your congressmen, senators, US president, media, friends and family who are directly affected by the retrogression.

Support the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005, S. 1033/H.R. 2330(Congress)

I urge you to support the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005 (H.R. 2330). This bill offers the necessary fix to our broken immigration system: comprehensive reform that combines tough enforcement measures with rational laws that make sense in today's world. This bipartisan and bicameral measure seeks to transform
our immigration system into one that is safe, legal, controlled and orderly. It would:

Fix Our Broken Borders: This bill would create a much needed national strategy for border security and enhanced border intelligence. Such initiatives are aimed at deterring those who mean to do us harm but still allow for the orderly, controlled flow of goods and people.

Create a "Break-the-Mold" Essential Worker Program: This bill would create a workable temporary worker program that would decrease illegal immigration by matching willing workers with willing employers and creating a legal avenue for people to enter the U.S. and return, as many wish, to their countries, communities, and families. Among other provisions, this program would provide the necessary visas, allow workers to change jobs, set forth employer obligations, provide labor protections and an enforcement scheme to deal with program violations, and allow people to earn their permanent residency if they would not displace a U.S. worker.

Allow People Who Are Here the Opportunity to Earn their Adjustment: This measure would give undocumented immigrants currently in the U.S. who work hard, pay taxes, are learning English, and pass security clearances the opportunity to earn their permanent residency. This measure also includes strict fines and penalties for those already in this country and tough punishments for employers who hire undocumented workers. It would mandate the creation of a secure identification document and an employment eligibility confirmation system so employers will know that people seeking work are here legally.

Reunify Families: This bill would clear out the long backlogs in family-based immigration that keep close family members separated, some for up to twenty years. Such long separations make no sense in our pro-family nation, reflect poorly on us, and ultimately encourage illegal immigration.

I urge you to support the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005 (H.R. 2330). By tackling the tough issues, it would address the problems that have long plagued our current immigration system and help make us more secure.

Title VI of Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005 (popularly known as Kennedy-McCain bill) provides for the re-capture of visas. See below.

The employment-based visas will go as high as 290,000 per year from 140,000 per year. That is a whopping 150,000 increase!

Kennedy-McCain in its entirety is the only hope for us affected by the retrogression.

PLEASE send a letter/e-mai/faxl regarding the Kennedy-McCain bill to the President, Senators, Congressmen, media, your friends, and family.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Title VI: Family Unity and Backlog Reduction

ƒImmediate relatives of U.S. citizens are not counted against the 480,000 annual cap on family-sponsored green cards, thereby providing additional visas to the family preference categories
The current per-country limit on green cards is raised slightly to clear up backlogs
Income requirements for sponsoring a family member for a green card are changed from 125% of the federal poverty guidelines to 100%, and other obstacles are removed to ensure fairness
The employment-based categories are revised to provide additional visas for employers who need to hire permanent workers, and the annual cap is raised from 140,000 to 290,000
Immigrant visas lost due to processing delays are recaptured for future allotments

applying4gc said:

Hi

I am in Chicago and I wrote to my congressman & senators today. He was qute prompt in responding and has agreed to support the bill.

If we all get together and write to our senators, congressmen, etc we will have created noise to get the right amount of attention.

make a lot of noise about the retrogression

Thank you for e-mailing your senators and congressmen in you locality.

I also e-mailed our state Senators and Congressmen as well as the President.

Making a lot of noise about the retrogression to the lawmakers will push back up in their agenda the need to pass the Kennedy-McCain bill.

Guidance needed..

Do I need to send this email only to my senator ? How to find my senator and congress man ? Could you please tell me how to find them ?and other details needed, I will send the emails and also I will ask my friends(>50 of them in different states here in US) do that.

Thanks

KKRO

Hi Guys,

Already, emailed guys post the details like
how to find local congressmen , senator .

The details will help all the guys to do the same, in the similar situation like this before in 1990's , the guys did and could get the GC.

Where I can find a sample letter

I would like to ask some of my colleagues to write letters to senator/congressman for support. The letter is for immigration reform, focusing on Retrogression.
Where can I find one? Thanks!

hello ppl,

I dont know why we are mixing things here .. this is the immigration bill and the real beneficiaries will be the illegal people. This bill has nothing for us legal immigrants and specifically nothing to address our most immediate issue of retrogression.

We have to request two things mainly:

1. Allow people who have approved LCs to file for 485 and EAD while they wait for the priority dates to become current. This will provide the immediate necessary relief to people who are maximum affected. This needs approval of congress and we should request the congressmen/senators to raise this in the congress and support it.

2. We should ask them to release the unused visa numbers from previous years so that the retrogression can be rolled back atleast to 2002.

Please, include these points specifically when you write to representatives, otherwise we dont get anything at all.

this and one other bill pending before the house on immigration address the issue of recapturing unused numbers.
the issue of allowing i485 is not addressed anywhere, though.
optimistguy said:
hello ppl,

I dont know why we are mixing things here .. this is the immigration bill and the real beneficiaries will be the illegal people. This bill has nothing for us legal immigrants and specifically nothing to address our most immediate issue of retrogression.

We have to request two things mainly:

1. Allow people who have approved LCs to file for 485 and EAD while they wait for the priority dates to become current. This will provide the immediate necessary relief to people who are maximum affected. This needs approval of congress and we should request the congressmen/senators to raise this in the congress and support it.

2. We should ask them to release the unused visa numbers from previous years so that the retrogression can be rolled back atleast to 2002.

Please, include these points specifically when you write to representatives, otherwise we dont get anything at all.

The fastest way to send an e-mail to the US President, Senators, and Congressmen, and media (both national and local) is to go to the AILA website.

Follow these steps.

1) go to the AILA website

2) go to Legislation and Advocacy

3) click on Contact Congress

4) under Action Alert! header

a) click Support the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of
2005, S. 1033/H.R. 2330(Congress)

NOTE: This is the Kennedy-McCain bill.

b) click Support the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of
2005, S. 1033/H.R. 2330(President)

5) add your brief personal experiences to the first part of the generic e-mail

6) provide your personal information and send

The reason why there is a retrogression is because there is a deficiency of visas available per fiscal year.

The McCain-Kennedy increases the visas available to a whopping 290,000. See below.

We must convince Congress to pass this bill.

Current System--Cornyn-Kyl bill---McCain-Kennedy bill
140,000(100%)--190,000(100%)--290,000(100%)EB Annual Quota
28.6%-----------20.0%----------20.0%---------------EB-1
28.6%-----------20.0%----------20.0%---------------EB-2
28.6%*----------35.0%----------35.0%---------------EB-31

E-mail, fax, and write a letters to your Senators, Congressmen, as well as the media.

Tell your family and friends affected by the retrogression to contact their senators and congressmen.

retrogression ... rallies in Washington D.C.

This is the time to make a lot of noise about the retrogression to people who have the power to fix it!! Congress.

Pushing for the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005 (also known as Kennedy-McCain bill) is the only way to go.

Anyone in the proximity of or close to Washington, D.C. on September 20-21, please attend the rallies in Washington D.C. (see attachments)

"There will be subsequent rallies in Boston, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Phoenix, and others.

IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES LOBBY, HOLD RALLIES THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY IN SUPPORT OF IMMIGRATION REFORM THROUGH THE KENNEDY-MCCAIN BILL.

KICKOFF TO BE HELD IN WASHINGTON, DC ON SEPT. 20

LOBBY DAY IN WASHINGTON, DC ON SEPT. 21"

call Congress @ 202-224-3121 on Sept 21-Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act

Call your Senators and Representative using the U.S. Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 if you are far from Washington DC. Otherwise, join the clamor for immigration reform and go to Washington, DC.

Urge Congress to support the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act.

The employment-based visas will go as high as 290,000 per year from 140,000 per year through this bill. That is a whopping 150,000 increase!

The Senate Judiciary Committee is meeting on October 18, 2005.

While all of us in this forum have differences, we have a common thread (ie. we are all adversely affected by the retrogression).

Let us do something positive to be part of the solution.

PUSH FOR COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM (The Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act).

TELL YOUR STORY TO LAWMAKERS/MEDIA/ADVOCACY GROUPS NOW!

Kindly do the following before October 18th.

A. Write/e-mail/fax/call each member of Senators and your local Congressmen.

Committee on the Senate Judiciary:

1) Edward M. Kennedy (MASSACHUSETTS)
Contact: http://www.congress.org/congressorg...lvl=C&chamber=S

2) Jon Kyl (ARIZONA)

3) John Cornyn (TEXAS)

4) Sam Brownback (KANSAS)

5) Arlen Specter (PENNSYLVANIA)

6) Orrin G. Hatch (UTAH)

7) Patrick J. Leahy (VERMONT)

8) Charles E. Grassley (IOWA)

9) Joseph R. Biden, Jr. (DELAWARE)

10) Mike DeWine (OHIO)

11) Herbert Kohl (WISCONSIN)

12) Jeff Sessions (ALABAMA)

13) Dianne Feinstein (CALIFORNIA)

14) Lindsey Graham (SOUTH CAROLINA)

15) Russell D. Feingold (WISCONSIN)

16) Charles E. Schumer (NEW YORK)

17) Richard J. Durbin (ILLINOIS)

18) Tom Coburn (OKLAHOMA)

Write to your local congressmen.

1) http://www.congress.org/congressorg...fficials/?lvl=L

B) Write/e-mail/fax major sympathetic national publications such as the following:

1) ARIZONA REPUBLIC
2) NEW YORK TIMES
3) LOS ANGELES TIMES
4) CHICAGO TRIBUNE
5) WASHINGTON POST
6) PALM BEACH POST

C) mobilize and alert pro-immigration advocacy groups to write/e-mail/fax the Senate and Congress before October 18 about comprehensive immigration reform.

India Caucus
Indo-American Chamber of Commerce
The National Association of Software and Service Companies
U.S. India Political Action Committee
American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
American Jewish Committee (AJC)
Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services (ACCESS)
Arizona Interfaith Network (AIN)
Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN)
Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles (CHIRLA)
Conservatives and Business Representatives
Cook County (IL) Resolution
Episcopal Migration Ministries (EMM)
Essential Worker Immigration Coalition (EWIC)
Fair Immigration Reform Movement (FIRM)
The Farm Labor Organizing Committee (FLOC), AFL-CIO
Heartland Alliance’s Midwest Immigrant & Human Rights Center (MIHRC)
Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS)
Idaho Community Action Network (ICAN)
Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights (ICIRR)
Immigrant Rights Network of Iowa & Nebraska
International Franchise Association
Jesuit Conference and Jesuit Refugee Service USA
Laborers' International Union of North American (LIUNA), AFL-CIO
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services (LIRS)
Massachusetts Immigrant & Refugee Advocacy Coalition (MIRA)
Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF)
National Asian Pacific American Legal Consortium (NAPALC)
National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO) Educational Fund
National Council of La Raza (NCLR)
National Immigration Forum
National Immigration Law Center (NILC)
National Korean American Service & Education Consortium (NAKASEC) - click here for Korean
National Restaurant Association
New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC)
OCA
PCUN, Oregon's farmworker union, and CAUSA, Oregon's immigrant rights coalition
People for the American Way (PFAW)
Service Employees International Union (SEIU), AFL-CIO
UNITE HERE!
US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI)
United Farm Workers (UFW)
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB)
U.S. Chamber of Commerce

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to urge you to be careful. According to current law, if EB1 or EB2 number are not fully used then over subscribed country in this quota get the first shot, so Indian and Chinese get to pick more EB-2 (40,000 visa per year, of which maybe Indian and chinese get 20,000 each year). If Mccain bill is passed, this provision goes away. Indians/chinese only get 20% of 10% of 290k = 5200 visas each, which is 10,400 per year. So the current bill is detrimental to EB1 and EB2 and possibly EB-3. tHE MAX BENEFIT GOES TO THE LOWEST SKILL PPL (the illegal workers). So watch out!!!

Cornyn/Kyll bill support

Personally I will support the Cornyn/Kyl bill, since that has a broader support. Also, keep in mind that the McCain/Kennedy bill supports amnesty for illegal aliens. While I have my own thoughts about this that is off topic, remember that allowing millions of illegal folks COULD CAUSE THE UNINTENTIONAL EVENT OF BACKLOGGING OUR APPLICATIONS EVEN FURtHER. Never forget that one of the reasons why you are in this backlog mess, was that 245i law that granted amnesty to thousands of illegals and screwed up the legal folks. Just don't overlook that. There is a bill about to be introduced that actually proposes 120K EB Visas and support that one could be a good idea.

applying4gc said:

GCdreamer2006 , you make a lot of sense and more importantly when we write letters/emails to Senators / Editors for supporting our cause of legal immigration we need to specifically mention the EMPLOYMENT BASED (EB) IMMIGRANT VISAS and not let anything to chance or taken for granted.

GCdreamer hope your dream will come true very soon !

GCdreamer2006 said:
Personally I will support the Cornyn/Kyl bill, since that has a broader support. Also, keep in mind that the McCain/Kennedy bill supports amnesty for illegal aliens. While I have my own thoughts about this that is off topic, remember that allowing millions of illegal folks COULD CAUSE THE UNINTENTIONAL EVENT OF BACKLOGGING OUR APPLICATIONS EVEN FURtHER. Never forget that one of the reasons why you are in this backlog mess, was that 245i law that granted amnesty to thousands of illegals and screwed up the legal folks. Just don't overlook that. There is a bill about to be introduced that actually proposes 120K EB Visas and support that one could be a good idea.

It is the Kennedy-McCain bill that addresses the retrogression the most by increasing the available visas to a whopping 290,000 (see attached McCain 605, page 11, paragraph 2).

Further, it increases the per country limit for employment based visas from "7% to 10% (in the case of countries) and from 2% to 5% (in the case of dependent areas)" among others.

Whereas the Coryn-Kyle bill "would do very little to ... reduce backlogs" as quoted by the American Immigration Lawyers Association (see attached Coryn705-secbysec, page 10, Backlog Reduction.)

Whatever your understanding,opinions, and inclinations are do something about the retrogression.

Communicate your stories to the ones who can make things happen.

Tell your stories to the lawmakers,media, and advocay groups.

I agree we need to support bills which help our cause, but at the same time we need to analyze and be careful to do not support a law that can bite us from another side. Let millions of illegal aliens be eligible to permanent residency (what in my view is wrong for America and I would not support something negative to the country I am seeking residency in !) and our applications probably may get stuck in a pile again, exactly what happened few years ago when my application should be processed in 5 months than due to the amnesty 245i thing DOL itself took 2.5 years to clear my LC. It is all about politics. They would process first applications to serve the larger group, the ones that can return more votes. That is especially true when the minor group (us) are not vocal. The good news is that no bill should be passed in its integrity. They will more likely be discussed and merged. A good sign is that at least 3 bills so far (except Tom Tancredo's one) address the same increase in EB numbers.
This one may be even more effective to us than the McCain bill, since yes it suggests an increase in 120,000.00 visa number for the EB folks:
www.house.gov/hayworth

applying4gc said:
It is the Kennedy-McCain bill that addresses the retrogression the most by increasing the available visas to a whopping 290,000 (see attached McCain 605, page 11, paragraph 2).

Further, it increases the per country limit for employment based visas from "7% to 10% (in the case of countries) and from 2% to 5% (in the case of dependent areas)" among others.

Whereas the Coryn-Kyle bill "would do very little to ... reduce backlogs" as quoted by the American Immigration Lawyers Association (see attached Coryn705-secbysec, page 10, Backlog Reduction.)

Whatever your understanding,opinions, and inclinations are do something about the retrogression.

Communicate your stories to the ones who can make things happen.

Tell your stories to the lawmakers,media, and advocay groups.

Last edited by a moderator: