retro will not effect already filing case

nitti_nscwaiter

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I talked to my lawyer and he says retrogession will not effect already filed cases, it only effects new filers. Is it true?

That is absolutely NOT TRUE. It does effect already filed cases also.

Posted Sep 23, 2005
©MurthyDotCom

The immigration world has been deeply impacted by the U.S. Department of State's release last week of the October 2005 Visa Bulletin. The October 2005 Visa Bulletin established cutoff dates in the EB1, EB2, and EB3 preference categories.

At The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, we have been receiving many questions about this development. People who are completely unfamiliar are simply asking "what is this?" Others have more precise questions. We understand the need to grasp the implications of the concept of retrogression and visa unavailability. To meet this need, and to provide MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers with as much advance warning and analysis as possible, we have written twenty articles and NewsFlashes over the course of the past year on the possibility and the meaning of retrogression and visa cutoff dates. We direct our readers to those articles as a source of background and information on retrogression. All can be found listed among the NewsBriefs in our Green Card section of MurthyDotCom. Even those who read the articles at the time of their publication may benefit from rereading them, since ensuing changes in their situations may cause retrogression to impact them differently now.

Some of the more novel questions we have received at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy pertain to the I-485.

Question 1. My I-485 is already pending or will be filed by the end of September 2005. If my case is filed before retrogression / cutoff dates are established in my category, do I need to worry about all of this? Is my case affected?

Yes and yes. In order to file the I-485, there must be a currently available visa number. However, to obtain the I-485 approval there must also be a currently available visa number. Thus, those who have I-485s filed, or who will get them filed while the priority dates are available for their cases, still need to be concerned about retrogression and cutoff dates. The pending I-485 cases cannot be approved until the visa number becomes available sometime in the future. People with these cases will be able to wait this out and obtain employment authorization document extensions and advance parole extensions year after year. Their green cards will await the availability of the visa number in the particular visa category, however.

nitti_nscwaiter said:
Hello,
I talked to my lawyer and he says retrogession will not effect already filed cases, it only effects new filers. Is it true?
I think you should ask you money back from your lawyer

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think a Lawyer can make that kind of mistake. There must be some confusion in Question or interpreting his answer.

I think he might be refering that new cases (I-485) cannont be filed. But if you have filed , it would be considered as filed.

Thanks
nitti_nscwaiter said:
Hello,